cd burner to stereo receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Little Herbie, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Little Herbie

Little Herbie New Member Thread Starter

I am trying to hook a CD burner into a stereo system, in order to record some LPs. I have a new ONKYO TX 8211 receiver with Tape 1 and Tape 2 input and output jacks, along with the normal input jacks for phone and cd player. The system has a dual tape deck that seems to work properly in either the Tape 1 or Tape 2 jacks. The problem is with the burner, which has both a play deck and a play/record deck. The receiver recognizes the CD burner when you play existing CDs and the burner will record CDs played within itself; the record function will not recognize any external source. The manuals for both the burner and the receiver are not helpful. Can anyone give me some direction? Thanks

2. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

You didn't mention what stand alone burner you have, but maybe it doesn't have an analog to digital converter. If it was designed to only copy CDs to CD-Rs it does that through a digital connection. I'm doubtful that it will record an analog source - sorry :(

What kind is it? - I'm often wrong

3. Little Herbie

Guy
    Thanks for the quick response.
    The burner is an RCA CDRW 140

4. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

The reason I searched out and found a Pioneer PDR 609 recorder is because it has a seperate analog input (and level control). Of course it is only a single cd recorder (does not have 2 drawers).

If your recorder does NOT have either analog or digital inputs on the back, you can only record from the internal source is my guess. If they do have either input, you should have a digital or analog output from your receiver that, in effect, becomes a monitor to whatever source you are playing on the receiver.

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Check your record settings to see if you have an analog option.

6. Little Herbie

Thanks for the advice. There is an analog setting on the cd burner. When I play a record and try to set recording levels, it's as if the burner is not reading anything.

7. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

Sounds to me like it should work, Turntable -> reciever phono In -> reciever tape out (There's two? make sure the signal's really coming out) -> burner analog in with the burner's input set to analog (usually done with the remote)

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My dual-well Sony has both an optical and an analog input. There is a button on the front I have to press to switch to the analog circuitry. It otherwise defaults to the optical input, or will use its own internal circuitry if I use CD Synchro to record from one disc to another.

9. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Little Herbie, do you have the manual? I found some information on RCA 120 and 121 models but not the 140. One user stated "This recorder ONLY works with Maxell, TDK or FUJI medias", if that may help. The 120/121 accepts a analog or digital/optical input from an outside source so I suspect the 140 does as well.

You really just have to read the manual to get the hang of just how to make the recording you are trying to make. You have to do it "just so" as explained in the manual to even have a chance to get these things to work.

I will give you what I do on my Pioneer when I record LP's from an analog source, just to give you an idea.

1. First, put in a new/blank CD-R or CD-RW (I prefer the RW's since you can erase a mistake). The unit flashes while reading and displays "new disk".

2. Press the sync button and cycle through the choices (Sync 1, Sync All, Finalize, Setup). For my purposes, it is Setup since I do all manual recording from an analog source. The player now shows "Setup 01 000:00" or something similar.

3. Check the source input button. Mine is analog and stays that way but I always check it.

4. Press the auto/manual track button to read "Manual". This allows me to insert a "new track" in between songs on LP's, otherwise you get 1 long track. Note that manual track insertion is used mainly with the "Analog" input. The "Sync 1" and "Sync All" choices work with digital and can "auto" insert the tracks.

5. Play the source (still not recording yet) and set the analog level input if you have one (mine does). The LED's should provide positive feedback that you are indeed receiving a signal. :D

6. Start the record at the proper que and with the remote in hand press the pause button to start recording (counter intuitive, I know--- I would have NEVER figured it out without the manual).

7. If I am recording the entire LP, I just push the "REC" button in between songs to start the new track. If I am making a compilation from LP's it is a bit different. At the end of a song I press "pause" which does just "pause" the recording. Then I put on the next record/song (check level again). When ready to record the next song, I push "PLAY" (pushing "pause" automatically gives you the next track increment--so it is ready to go when you push "play").

The RCA could be totally different and probably is. I just wanted to give you a feel for how complex it could be without doing some serious reading of the manual. ONce you get the flow of HOW to make a recording, it is fun to me.

Occasionally I have to refer back to the manual when something doesn't work right. Just one example- you can erase the "last track" with CD-RW's if you made a boo-boo (and you will). You press "erase", the machine flashes "erase last track" and you confirm by pressing "pause" (I think :D). You get a PMC REC message on the display as the machine writes the changes......HOWEVER, you must open the cd tray for the change to be made final (actually gets rid of the last track) or the track still shows up. I just press open and then just close it back, then recheck the prior steps until I am ready for the next song.

That is the short version..... :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.