CD collectors. Jewel case matter?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mist3rCe, Jun 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Not only are there differences within the normal jewel case paradigm, like smooth-sided or not, bar stops or dot stops to hold in the front artwork, heavier gauge plastic, patent pending on the back, different color inserts, lift-lock, etc., but as a few of you have hinted at, there are some special versions as well, so I'll throw in a promotion for this thread here in case some of you are interested: Jewel case history and exotica

2. nostromo53

nostromo53 Bon Vivant-At-Large

Agree! I have around 8,000 CDs and just don't have the space needed to keep jewel cases. If a CD has a "standard" jewel case, I replace it with the sleeves cited above (Space Saving Sleeves). Those sleeves work pretty well, and reduces the space needed by nearly half. For CDs that come with a custom jewel case, I'll keep it in the case. For digipaks/cardboard/etc.., I use plastic CD sized sleeves from Bags Unlimited. For multiple CD sets, I generally keep the jewel case, although there have been a number of exceptions.

hodgo and Eric_Generic like this.
  3. Mist3rCe

Mist3rCe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can easily number at least two old and three modern types of standard cases. But quick division is Old=Heavy, Modern=Thin

DME1061 likes this.
  4. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

If I see something I really want on the cheap in a cracked/damaged case, but the CD inside is nice, I'm buying that disc all day every day. Same goes for if the cover inside is ripped/stained/water damaged. Heck, even if the cover art is missing I would consider it, if the price was right.

IMO jewel cares, even when cracked or damaged, are about 1,000 times better than a lot of the modern packaging... especially those cardboard sleeves that will really do a number on your discs with scratches, if you're not careful.

hodgo likes this.
  5. Mist3rCe

Sure. Seeing the photos is a plus, this is the reason why I use eBay more than Discogs.

Mark J and tmtomh like this.
  6. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

I've witnessed this personally. At my local Goodwill and the CD's there are $2.50, not a buck. A guy was randomly going thru a stack of CD's and chucking the discs and artwork, and keeping the cases. Some were good ones too (Beatles, Stones, Depeche Mode, etc. etc.) ... His money but I was like maaaaaannnnn.... :rolleyes:

7. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

[​IMG]
    The gold symbol is "printed" [embossed?] on the jewel case cover itself. If that cracks, you're hosed. Buy another copy... :shake:

[​IMG]
    Here, the orange color theme is continued on the [usually black] jewel case. This was for initial pressings, I'm not sure how long it lasted. [I would not be too distraught if that one had to be replaced by a standard case, unlike the one above where it's actually a part of the artwork..]

I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now [but will as soon as I hit "post"]...

Overall, I much prefer the durability of jewel cases to cardboard sleeves.

Mark J and idledreamer like this.
  8. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Kind of like the copy of Kind Of Blue I saw at Goodwill once that the readable surface underneath resembled the surface of the moon. What a lack of respect. If you're going to treat a disc like that why even own it at all?

9. peter

peter Senior Member

There is one record store I shop at where, literally, the best and rarest CD's are the most trashed. Sad.

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

If the buyer is interested in a specific type of jewel case I would expect them to ask the seller.

SKATTERBRANE and tmtomh like this.
  11. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Why doesn't he just buy new cases? I'm sure Amazon has them.

idledreamer likes this.
  12. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

Great thread! Now here's a question....

Say you have a case that is cracked or has a broken hinge. BUT the case has the original hype sticker of the album on the front.

Do you keep it as is, or do you replace it? ;)

SKATTERBRANE likes this.
  13. WonkyDonkey

WonkyDonkey Forum Resident

Peel the hype sticker off and put it on the new case or plastic wallet (I’ve binned all my cases and use wallets)

idledreamer likes this.
  14. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Replace it. Not risking the disc getting damaged because i have forgotten the case is broken and when I go to open it it all collapses to the floor.

idledreamer likes this.
  15. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Doesn’t bother me about the cases unless there is something specifically different about the case itself (Coloured, for example)
    Slightly off topic - I like those round-edged cases that you see SACDs in. Don’t know if they’ve got a specific name but I’d like to buy a load of those if anyone knows.

16. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident

Check out ebay - In office supplies - search Super Jewel Box. Quite a few listings available.

Greenalishi likes this.
  17. Mist3rCe

Hard to answer... depends on how difficult it is to get another copy with sticker, but let's say it's hard to find or expensive or the CD is not a "favorite", then... if the sticker is nice and it's just a broken hinge, I'd keep it as it, if not, I would replace it (or try an alternative option like WonkyDonkey does).

WonkyDonkey and idledreamer like this.
  18. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

So are the jazz loft sleeves guranteed not to damage the CD or the covers etc ? .... looks interesting

19. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I have 10,000 plus... no damage. Some people worry about scuffing, but it's not a problem as far as I'm concerned. The CD doesn't touch the vinyl so I don't think there's any risk of chemical deterioration. The inserts and back panels just slide in and out, and if you drop them, they're soft; no damage. You certainly won't get any of those infernal half-moon creases on the insert from the tabs.

I'm not sure what kind of guarantee you'd be looking for.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  20. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

It doesn't matter as long as the case is in good condition. If the original is cracked or broken it ought to be replaced.

21. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

It depends for me, If the disc originally was in a standard black jewel case then It doesn't really bother but if the jewel was white or some other uncommon color then I'd want the original case.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  22. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

As long as I get the CD and can rip it to my hard drive, the case and cd are superfluous. I keep the disc only if my hard drives fail. I fully expect to send most of my discs to a landfill or a recycling company.

23. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Ah nice one. Thanks !! Wasn’t sure if they had a specific name. Noted.

24. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Keep it! The hype sticker is part of the overall package (albeit one that changes over subsequent releases and is often missing from used CDs). I never peel them - too much damage potential. Thankfully most US CDs have the hype sticker on the outer cellophane wrap rather than directly on the case, so I cut those out (keeping them on the cellophane) and place them between the case front and the booklet.

We’re an odd bunch, really.

25. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I never understood the appeal of hype stickers on the cellophane, although I tucked a few into LP sleeves... none into CDs that I can remember.

I won't argue the point that we're an odd bunch, but our peculiarities aren't all the same. This forum has shown me that I'm not the only nut job who makes custom artwork for CDRs. And some people are even more into it than I am!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.