"CD-format to be abandoned by major labels by the end of 2012..."

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MarilynsPickle, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I know. BTW, Deep Purple's "Machine Head" as downloads on iTunes is $9.03, but one can get the Warner Bros. CD at Wal-Mart for $5.

2. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Sony still has faith in the 44.1/16 silver disc format - they in troduced this entry-level CD player last year: CDP-CE500. Saw one at Best Buy last week btw. It also offers MP3/AAC/WMA file playback via your flashdrive and built-in ripping capability directly to that flashdrive. And it includes CD-text display capability (a feature I like a lot), something few players offer anymore for some reason.

3. NS2A

NS2A New Member

My sister (age 39) just learned how to download songs to her phone from iTunes. She thought it was wonderful and now can have music while she jogs.

And when I say to the guys I work with (in their 50s) how bad Mp3's sound compared to physical they say 'yeah but only you care'.

Now even the "older" people don't want the physical media. :shake:

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's ironic in this day and age that they still make a budget CD player and don't make anything for the audiophile.

5. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

It's not stupid, it's inevitable. How many cassettes are sold today? And the only reason vinyl sells at all (and it would be invisible on this graph) is for the perceived superior quality in sound and nostalgia. it's a boutique item. From http://allthingsd.com/20110328/big-musics-big-decline-in-chart-form-again/ which cites the music industry itself, who produced the graph:

[​IMG]

Yes, copyright infringement from file sharing plays an undeniable role in this, but it's also much more complex. You have to look at demographics, and cultural shifts that are occurring. This place is a echo chamber of audio nuts (and I like it that way) but it is far-flung from everyday reality.

Just because you can still find vinyl and/or CDs doesn't mean that everything is as it was.

And those of you bemoaning getting CD-Rs instead of CDs, so what? It's media, isn't it? They sound and look the same, right? I truly do not understand this. What is so special about a piece of aluminum sandwiched between slabs of polycarbonate as opposed to a layer of phthalocyanine dye sandwiched between slabs of polycarbonate?

6. KeithH

Amazon generally sells CD-Rs of rare, out-of-print CDs. As a collector and music fan, I want the actual rare, out-of-print CD with the original inserts. I will not pay full price for a copy.

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

A CD-R is less durable than a CD, and the resale value is lower, because many people will suspect it's a fake. Try selling an Amazon CD-R on Ebay.

So while Amazon CD-Rs have their legitimacy (in case of OOP CDs), they cannot replace CDs. It should be a real CD or a (cheaper) lossless download, perhaps with the option to get a CD-R, for those who are not used to downloads..

8. leevitalone2

leevitalone2 New Member

right after the aliens land at the London 12 olympics, the earth will rotate on it's center, according to the mayans who lived sveral hundered years ago, and we all end up living in a hole in the mountains because the guy who lives down the street will steal my food.
    Then, I'll bet cd's will be obsolete.

9. leevitalone2

leevitalone2 New Member

evedently your not looking at the right places.
    www.acousticsounds.com
    and many other high end sellers contiue to make and sell
    high end cd players. with blu ray and high end decks available you would think otherwise, but they do sell.

10. Simple, because a pressed CD, if not defective, is permanent for the most part, and works.

A CD-R may fade away or have a errors. It is not original either.

Simple Marketing 101. It isn't the same value, so it shouldn't cost the same.

11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I think he was speaking generally and for rhetorical purposes.

12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

They can stop making them tomorrow, I don't care. I have most of what I want except a few here and there. I will grab them up when people start selling off what they have.

13. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Got this email from Sierra Records mentioning that SONY will no longer make CDs at the end of 2012.

"Sony will be closing down compact disc production by the end of the year and future recordings will only be available as digital MP3 downloads."

14. ChrisPineo

ChrisPineo Active Member

Hmmm ... who are Sierra Records? Why would they know this? If true why would Sony tell them? And why would they be allowed to share it?

It sounds like I'm doubting you and I'm really not. It just doesn't seem to make sense so I probably have some holes in my knowledge base that need to be filled? Like "Who are / is Sierra Records?"

Maybe the article ought to have used this source.

Honestly the only reason I care is most CDs are cheaper or very close to it than their MP3 counterparts. Trust me, I wish it weren't so but it is. If CDs go away MP3 pricing will probably be worse. So I guess I need to create more space for the CDs.

15. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I'm guessing that they are usng the SONY plant to make CD pressings and perhaps SONY is closing down that particular plant at the EO 2012? Just a guess here and maybe this label either cannot find another plant to use, or have chosen to just not persue the matter. Again just a guess.

That's still bad news if true, but not as bad if SONY closed ALL their plants at the EO this year. As for this particular label, I'd email them back and at least try to convince them to offer lossless downloads instead of lossy.

If SONY really is closing ALL their CD production by the EO this year, I'm sure it will be big news soon enough.

16. I find that very hard to believe.

Sony DADC is the world's largest CD presser, and it doesn't hurt that they have one of the biggest record label families in the world too. they also have regional contracts with many of Sony Music's competing record labels.

Sony DADC has a plant that makes CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays in most markets around the world. They have plants in Japan, USA, Canada, Austria, Australia, Hong Kong, Mexico, Brazil, India, etc. ......

There is still demand and they are the biggest and supply all the major labels, somewhere in the world.

Now if they are consolidating capacity and closing a specific location, that would make sense.

17. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Looks to be the same old unsubstantiated source material we discussed before, but with the magic inclusion of Sony instead of Major Labels.

not even thinking about this until someone sends a link to an official announcement on a real web site.

18. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

This was the whole email. (Below)

NEW COMPLETE BYRDS BOX SET FROM ENGLAND, LATEST NEWS AND 50% OFF SIERRA CATALOG SPRING SALE!

As summer approaches, fall and winter won't be far behind, so room has to be made for the upcoming new releases from Sierra and other labels. So, here's a great opportunity for you.

ALL SIERRA LABEL TITLES WILL BE SOLD UNTIL MAY 6 AT 50% OFF THE ALREADY LOW PRICE!

In order to take advantage of this sale (which includes the "Gram Parsons Early Years Box Set") you need to log into a separate, special new website which has been created for this once in a life time offer.

Go to: sierraglobal.net

There you will find the entire Sierra Records catalog at the same mail order prices at the regular mail order site. When you place an order for $40.00 or more, at check out, use the Discount Code "2012", your entire order will be discounted 50% (before shipping and handling).

Again, you must order $40.00 or more at sierraglobal.net, at checkout, on the bottom of the "BILLING AND SHIPPING INFORMATION" page, in the "Discount Code" box, just insert the number "2012" and you will receive your 50% - half off - discount automatically plus shipping and handling charges. If you want to save even more with FREE shipping and handling (worldwide), order the "SIERRA 10 CD SET", not only will you receive a 50% discount for this set, but your entire order will now be shipped FREE to anywhere in the world!

This sale will directly benefit production costs of new Sierra Record releases in the coming year. Here is your chance to keep this music alive!

FOR THE DIE HARD BYRDS FAN

For a limited time, with very limited quantities available, "The Complete Byrds Box Set" All the original Sony/CBS eleven, individual Byrds albums from 1965-1972 (picture of the actual set can be seen at sierrarecords.net

MR. TAMBOURINE MAN
    TURN! TURN! TURN!
    FIFTH DIMENSION
    YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY
    THE NOTORIOUS BYRD BROTHERS
    SWEETHEART OF THE RODEO (2CD)
    DR. BYRDS AND MR. HYDE
    BALLAD OF EASY RIDER
    (UNTITLED/(UNISSUED) (2CD)
    BYRDMANIX
    FARTHER ALONG

With two titles being double disc albums, the set has a total of 13 discs, each in separate mini LP style jackets recreating the original LP jackets plus a 40 page booklet, all housed in a 5"x 5" presentation box! All tracks have been released previously on compact disc since the late 90s. These are those same remastered, re-releases that already included bonus and hidden tracks with album notes by Byrds biographer, Johnny Rogan. Yes, most of you have these albums already, there is nothing new here but if you want to own a collectors item, have all the CBS/Sony Byrds releases in one package, this will be your last opportunity to own these Byrds albums on compact disc. Sony will be closing down compact disc production by the end of the year and future recordings will only be available as digital MP3 downloads. Price at $59.00 plus shipping and handling (counts as 3 items), this package is quite a bargin.

Produced in the UK, only a very small quantity is available for sale, it is first come, first serve.

(PLEASE NOTE: This and all non-Sierra titles on our regular website are not available for the 50% discount sale above.)

But if you have to have everything "Byrds" place your order here by clicking on the "Add to Cart" button below or at the regular Sierra website at sierrarecords.net.

In closing, a big thanks to those of you who ordered the new "Dillards-Mountain Rock" CD, which you can still order online at sierrarecords.net

And yes, out later this coming week for the lucky 300plus of you, the "Gram Parsons Early Years T-shirt".

2012 will be an exciting year for more new releases and some old favorites, your support and good wishes are most welcome and appreciated!

Sincerely,

John Delgatto, Founder/Owner

19. KeithH

Exactly what I was thinking.

20. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

From the wording of the email, it's only affecting "The Complete Byrds Box Set" and nothing else. At least that's how I'm reading this.

21. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

In the last six months I bought my first few Hi Rez downloads

All Things Must Pass from the Harrison website, and Paul Simon's So Beautiful or So What and Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells A Story from HDTracks.

I love them. If all of my fave albums were available in REAL, non-upsampled Hi-Rez, then I don't need CDs anymore.

I am not comfortable with the death of CD, however, until Amazon offers FLACs and not MP3s. THAT will be the move that makes CD irrelevant to me. I haven't heard anything about that coming down the pipes.

Anyway, whatever. I've got equipment to play all of the formats save for reel-to-reel, which I can leave to the tape pros, since I don't want to deal with it.

Perhaps the death of the CD will get us out of 16/44 thinking, and usher in a future of increased 24/96+ availability. I would love that.

ccm

22. Doorbell

Doorbell Member

I was talking to the clerk at Spin Records in Carlsbad, I asked him if CDs still sold. He informed me that CDs make about 70% of the stores sales! Keep in mind this store has a very very attractive vinyl selection.

In other words, I don't buy the hype that CDs are gonna die any time soon.

23. mscoll

mscoll Forum Resident

I don't think that SONY can stop making CDs. They will likely reduce its number and switch on DVDs and Blue Ray.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have been told from a fairly high-level source that Sony is ending production on all physical media (tape, disc, everything) in 2 years. End of 2014. But there's been no official announcement yet. It's just a rumor until then, but signs point to it being true, especially with this economy.

I suspect they will keep a plant open for custom-label orders and stuff like that, as long as there's a market for it. But no Sony-label merchandise. Sony's whole business model is changing, now that Kazuo Hirai is the CEO:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/201203/12-043E/index.html

This is particularly a concern for professionals and broadcasters still using tape... :eek:

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

While selling music as downloads only in 2014 is imaginable (although not necessarily the best option, since CDs will still outsell downloads then), not selling movies on Blu-ray nor DVD means quitting the home video business. Movie streaming or downloading will not have developped enough until then and will be far behind music downloads.

I rather think Sony is just closing or selling their pressing plants and will outsource media manufacturing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.