CD Long Boxes - is there a market?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Chazzbo13, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aravel

aravel starchitect...then, father!

Early 90's got me working and going to college, so every weekend a new cd needed to be bought...import only stores had US cds and large music store chain had European import only cds (Mexican made cds were sold until mid 1992, and they were awful, now hard to get and expensive), I always picked the US cds in the long box, bought them in store, kept them apart from my Lps, cassettes and cds shelves, and still got them all: Cure, U2, Depeche Mode, Madonna, many more. This pic was 2018 as always showing off my cure collection to some friends via whatsapp

[​IMG]

2. aravel

3. aravel

4. aravel

::: This pic of my U2 boxes was taken back in 2005-2006
    Still have all these, except the Marlboro one, quit smoke back in 2010

[​IMG]

5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

If they are in good condition other than being flattened, you can still get something like $10 apiece for at least some of them. Whether it's worth your time is a personal decision. But if you have a lot, it's likely you could accumulate a little money to buy new music while keeping some of the boxes out of the landfill or recycling bin.

Andersoncouncil and zephyr25 like this.
  6. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Visited a mom and pop record store in a small town probably somewhere in the ballpark of 1999-2001 that still had tons of sealed longbox cds. Apparently they'd been sitting on the shelves for close to a decade or even longer. The place also had some patches from the 80s and 90s as well. It was really cool and in retrospect I kind of wish I'd bought some of them.

superstar19 and tmtomh like this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I kept all of my long boxes and I kept the shrink wrap on them. But about 60% of those CDs I traded in for store credit when a better mastering arrived. So now I must decide if I want to rebuy some of those older CDs to go with original long boxes, and then sell the complete packages? I think I will if the discs are found cheaply.

8. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I sold my Beatles long boxes years ago on eBay. The whole set. I think I got $150 for it. Had to have been 20 years or so. I’d imagine they would go for more nowadays.

quicksrt and zephyr25 like this.
  9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Found this thread on searching, I hope this is the right place to ask - I received my first long box since the days of seeing them in stores like Future Shop, Zellers and Sam Goody :)

This was in a press to fit blister pack held together with staples. Not one of those child proof blister packs you need scissors that can cut through metal to open. Just simple press to fit. I'm just curious if this is how these would have been new?

10. aravel

Probably you have an ECO-Pak design, post a pic to see

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This is very small... very small ..... market .. This is artificial nostalgia...

Chazzbo13 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.