CD Player Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RhodyDave125, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

The Yamaha CD-S300, NAD C 538, and the Onkyo C-7030 are the usual suspects for entry level audiophile players. All three are $299 or less and all have excellent reviews for the price.

George P likes this.
  2. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I had to send my NAD CD player in for warranty work recently. No issues at all.

3. George P

George P Notable Member

The CD-S300 has great sound and is incredibly reliable. It also handles everything I throw at it, including CDs with pre-emphasis in the flag and in the subcode.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I just picked up a Sony CD/SACD Changer C222ES for $29.99. Works beautifully, and has analogue 5.1 outputs. Also has digital outs for those with a DAC they insist on using for stereo. That's right 5.1 and 4.0 surround from SACD for $29.99

I've not had a changer in many years, but they are fun to have loaded up so you don't have to bother with anything but power on and hit play and disc number.

PhantomStranger and alexpop like this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's that a 200 disc carousel?

6. alexpop

Naim CD players, even used are pricey.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, just a 5-disc carousel type drawer.

God what deals we can get on equipment for those that don't have thousands to blow on this stuff.

My money has gone into the music end of it.

c-eling likes this.
  8. alexpop

Ah! Yeah I've got a Philips one ( still works ).

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think that they are nice. My last one would ignore one of the discs when playing all. Then another disc ignored, until only three discs showed up as loaded. It was going on the fritz.

This player seems more ruggedly built than the average Sony rotary changer. It's the ES line, which = 5 year warranty.

10. Few SACD changers were ever made. That's a nice find at the price as I used to see them go for much more on a regular basis, even used models.

11. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Onkyo. $129. Amazon That's unbeatable

12. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I second this , CD6006. I bought mine around Christmas last year, price dropped to $450, if the $50 off is worth waiting for. It is $499 regular.
    What would be helpful is if you described your content and listening preferences. a lot of people are recommending a universal player, which is a good choice if you also watch a lot of dvds. Do you own SACDs or DVD-A discs? Then you need something compatible with that content like a Yamaha or Oppo. Or are you strictly looking to play the 2000 CDs you’ve collected over the years on something that sounds very good for the price? I assumed the latter because that was my situation.

13. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Amazon $129. If still selling at it. Onkyo 7030.

14. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

I am amending this post to recommend the Topping D30 DAC over the M2U. I have been using my D30 for over a month now and it is great. It sells for only $120 and accepts USB, Toslink and coax inputs. It has it's own power supply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.