CD-R Overburn

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Theadmans, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theadmans

Theadmans Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a bunch of tracks from an original CD which are 320 kbps mp3 files. I was a little surprised when I went to burn these tracks to a CD-R that they exceeded the 80 minute capacity. The total came to 80 mins 23 secs even with all pauses between the tracks removed.

Anyway I really wanted to burn this CD so thought "what the hell I'll try to burn it". Nero comes up with a prompt about whether I want to create an "overburn CD". I have never seen this before as I mainly use EAC rather than Nero. Nero states that saying OK to the overburn CD can damage the CD Writer. This seems unlikely so I press on and it burns the CD-R OK. The CD reports 80 minutes 23 seconds in my CD Player and the last track plays OK. I never knew you could do this !

Anyone got any experience of using this overburn feature?

2. keoki82

keoki82 Active Member

The danger with overburn is that you're always wanting to burn a little farther, just to see how much extra data you can squeeze onto a CD-R. That's when you start playing with fire. It doesn't take long to damage a drive if it doesn't support overburn. I ruined an LG drive when I tried to overburn longer than 82 minutes. The amount of overburn possible is heavily dependent on both the drive and the type of media used. My suggestion is to use it sparingly, in extreme cases only. You can set a limit manually in Nero's settings - there is a tab where you can enable overburn, but prevent the drive from writing any further than a specified time range. Mine is set to 81 minutes - I don't think I'd go any farther than that.

I've heard of people burning up to 90 minutes using certain CD-R's on certain drives, but I for one don't see how that's possible. There's more danger in damaging your burner while attempting to burn a long CD-R than there is damaging a CD player when playing back a long CD-R. In my experience the disc will run out of room during the burning process far sooner than a CD player would reach the end of its servo and refuse to play any further.

3. Theadmans

Theadmans Senior Member Thread Starter

..thanks for the advice on this. My writer is an LG too so I will not push it any further than 81 minutes on your advice.

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I try to keep mine under 74 minutes. Even though they say 80.

I tend to get more skipping, etc... When I go beyond 74 minutes.

5. RDK

RDK Active Member

I've burned successfully to about 82-83 minutes, but try to avoid it. Sometimes the discs burn/play fine; other times they skip a bit at the very end - which suggests to me that that's the limit I can go.

6. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Yep it depends on the cd-r and the drive. I have overburnt cd-r's before up to about 82 mins but wouldn't risk going any further.

7. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I have but it is worth noting you can get dedicated 90 miute (800MB) CD-R's although the groove pitch is a little thinner.

8. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

My Plextor will write 1 minute and 30 seconds over no problem. After that - Ffft. Out of space.

9. I recall reading in the mid-late 1980s in CD Review magazine in their "random notes" section that supposedly Windham Hill Records had an in house compilation CD that clocked in close to 100 minutes, IIRC. I also remember reading back in the day that certain burners and certain software could handle CD-Rs up to 90 minutes. One of the blank CD-R manufacturers I think had a CD-R that could hold up to 90 or 92 minutes. I think the issue back then would have been most CD players probably couldn't handle the playback of a 90 minute+ CD-R.

Just finished my first ever CD-R overburn. It happened by accident.

I spent most of today on a needledop of the Sundazed The Byrds - The Columbia Singles '65-'67 2 LP set. I roughly calculated by time I finished splitting the 8 songs from Side 4 that this set was close to 80 minutes long.

I wasn't sure of the exact time, so I dragged all 30 songs into the Nero buring software on my computer, primarily to get a time check. If the time was over 80 minutes I was going to split the project into 2 CDs.

Then this dialog box appeared, that I'd never seen before.

[​IMG]

I thought I'd give it a shot, since it was just 20 seconds over the suggested limit.

It worked. To test out the finished product I put the CD into my oldest player, a Nakamichi OMS 1A player from 1988. First time I've ever seen a CD longer than 80 minutes. Clocks in at 80:17. The CD-R played fine. The only issue is when I put the CD-R into the player, I have to immediately press play. The Nakamichi won't pause and give a time check as it usually does for CDs under 80 minutes. If I don't immediately press play, as the disc is loading, the player just ejects the disc.

The CD-R I used was a Taiyo Yuden CD-R White Inkjet Hub Printable.

Was hoping to try more overburns later, but I may not, based on what I'm reading in this thread. Wouldn't want to damage the CD-R/DVD-R player/burner or the computer.

Five, ten years ago I was using Adaptec buring software, which late became Roxio (when they bought out Adaptec). None of the versions, I remember, allowed for CD-R overburn.

10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Every once in a while a compilation disc might go to 81 or 82 minutes. I've had no problems burning or playing them. I tried to go a bit longer once and then ran into trouble.

11. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

The programs that don't let you overburn are the ones that bug me. Sometimes I'll make a compilation CD that is 80:04 or something....and I can't burn it. Very annoying....wish I still had Nero.

12. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

Overburning presumably just eats into the ridiculously long "lead-out" area, reclaiming some of those wasted bytes. It should be perfectly safe but some CD players don't play nice with overburned CD-Rs. The one time I've needed to overburn an audio CD, I tried the disc in my car and the last track would not play at all.

13. jorgeluiz

jorgeluiz Forum Resident

what is "garanteed" :
    i burned only one cd audio with 83 minutes but is impossible to be copied.(CD-A)
    some others with 82 minutes can be copied easily.
    of course, all are 700MB and was burned with Nero a long time ago.(DTS-CD's & CD-A's.)
    i have some 90 minutes(i still have) but are impossibles to overburn, no more than 88~89 minutes.(i'm not so sure now as a long time i don't burn this medias)

cheers!

edit: i checked how i did...
    adjust in Nero "Options->Expert Features":
    "Enable Disc-at-once CD Overburning" and adjust:
    "Absolute Maximum overburning size" to 88:00:00
    and OK to close the options. restart Nero and Burn(overburn your medias)

14. Looks like I'm not the only one who's needle dropped and successfully burned the 80:17 Byrds 2 LP set to CD-R.

I put the CD-R in iTunes this morning to rip it. iTunes instantly recognized the 30 song disc. The CD/DVD rom drive handled the rip, although a bit slower than usual.

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Anyone have any advice on where to get good 90 minute blank CD-R media? I can usually write about an extra 45 seconds to 1 minute without problem to standard CD-R, but lately I've put together some comps and I keep coming up needing about 84 to 85 minutes of space. I have been buying Taiyo-Yuden manufactured cd-r media and have had no problems with them. They don't make 90 minute blanks as far as I can tell, though.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

None of the 90 minute media is all that good or ever was.

17. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

I've never, ever had a problem burning CD-R's right up to 80 minutes (OK, they are actually 79:59), nor have I ever had a problem reading them in any player. I think you're being a tad too cautious.

18. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

19. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Yeah, I've used over burning a couple of times. The way I see if (without any significant testing to back it up) is that over burning shouldn't be used as a course of habit. If you really must go over the stated spec of the media/drive then as little as possible and as least often.

I've got a few 90min CD-R TKK discs. They are fine, although they aren't made from decent dyes, or likely form decent stock either. That said, no problems and can get a double album (Santana Moonflower) on one disc. Played fine in a mid 90's Yamaha CD player, no issues, no skipping. Stick it in, it reads 84 minutes 10 seconds without a hitch.

I really should get some Taiyo Yuden discs. I've been using TDK and Verbatim I got dirt cheap. Indian made stuff, that so far is holding data indistinguishable from the original disc on our 'budget' end HiFi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.