DCC Archive CD-R Recording Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave B, Jan 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently purchased a Harmon Kardon CD recorder primarily to archive some of my sonicly superior LPs and those that aren't available on CD for use in the car and to save the records for special occasions when I can really sit and enjoy them. I am fairly happy with the results but have had some problems with accurately marking tracks, especially on those LPs where the tracks run together (such as the Moody Blues LPs). I thought I could resolve this by dubbing the LP first to Minidisc where it is very easy to mark or move a track and then simply dub the disc to CD via the digital connection. When I tried this I found that the mindisc track marks do not copy to the CD-R. Does anyone know why? If I make a digital copy of a CD to Minidisc the track marks are copied with no problem but for some reason the opposite is not true. This is not a major problem as I have just marked "on the fly" as best I can with acceptable result but I'd sure like to get more precise. Any ideas or tips?

2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Dave B,

Howsabout playin' the lp once and noting the breaks w/ a stop watch and then recordin' the lp on the 2nd play while markin' it w/ the stop watch times?

Could b a cheap solution.

Let It Rock,
    Jeffrey

3. Grant

Grant In holiday HELL

You should have gone the computer route. You can achieve more exact, professional results. Also, you would've saved lots of money by not having to buy "music-only" blanks.

Maybe you can return the Harmon-Kardon and get yourself a CD burner, a good soundcard and some software.

4. Jeffrey

Hi,

Pro burner, like the HHB Steve owns or the Sony that has done me right.

Just another view,
    Jeffrey

5. Unknown

Unknown Guest

This would be easy to do on a PC, with CD Wave.

But I don't know how to do what you're asking.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You really should record your LPS to the hard drive as one long run, if you can. Sometimes, that can be hard.

Moody Blues; I hope you know going out and buying the CDs are cheaper and easier!

But nonetheless, you need to have a really solid computer, lots of processor power and the software to do long 16-bit runs on the fly. You can always split up the wav later for each track number, then burn at "Disc At Once (DAO)" to join the tracks properly using whatever CDR software you want.

You can use an audio CD deck, but again, save this kinda effort for the albums that cannot be bought on CD, rare, etc...

7. Dave B

Thanks everyone. I actually have a CD Burner but the usual mediocre sound card so I assumed that my copies would be better and easier on a standalone burner. I may look into a better card or just wait until my next PC upgrade. Sckott, I actually have all the MOFI Moody Blues discs, I was just using them as an example. Marking the tracks is no problem on discs with normal 3 to 4 second track spacing but when tracks run together, it can get tough even with a stop watch. Anyway, thanks again for your ideas.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

How about this:

Burn the disc using your stand-alone recorder. Copy it to your computer via Exact Audio Copy or something similar. Fix the track breaks. Re-burn on the computer burner.

That should do it.

9. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Yeah, do what the King of WI suggested, then try CD Wave to break up the tracks. It's very easy to use.

10. Sckott

True, that should work fine with enough control you'll have on the PC, you'll be able to navigate a perfect CDR after fanagling it on the PC. Yep!

11. Dave B

Thanks Luke, I think you've hit on the best solution for now. I'll pick up a copy of CD Wave and try it. It's not the most eligant or cost effective way to do things as I'll waste a CD-R but they're pretty cheap in bulk.I can buy a couple of hundred for less than the cost of a new sound card. See, I knew you guys would come up with something. All hail the King!

12. Grant

Grant In holiday HELL

But you can't get the exacxtness of editing that the computer route gives you.

You can get excellent results with the right soundcard without spending an arm and a leg.

Going the computer route IS professional. Just because Steve uses an HBB does not mean that the computer is any less "pro". Jeeeez!

13. Grant

Grant In holiday HELL

Actuall, Luke's solution works fine.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: Grant T. ]

14. Jeffrey

Hi,

Hey Grant,
    No Question, the computer route is very professional & done by many professionals. After reading all my posts on this topic, I'm not sure where I stated that it wasn't. Was just trying to state another way to address the issue.

Peace,
    Jeffrey

15. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

I'm getting to dislike acronyms (sp). I give up. What is an HBB?

16. Jeffrey

Hi Larry,

It's actually HHB and they manufacture cd recorders, media, etc.

Happy Trails,
    Jeffrey

17. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Dave,
    Can you record on Audio CDRW discs with your new standalone burner? If so you can record your lp's on them, extract that data onto your computer, fix it up, and reburn on your computer (as has been suggested), and then erase your Audio CDRW and start over. That way you don't waste any discs.

-Craig

18. Dave B

A most excellent suggestion Craig! Now I need to get some new software. Right now I have Adaptec CD Creator. Hopefully I can pick something up this weekend and try it.

19. Sckott

Dave;

The best software out there for burning Cds is ironically free, or almost free, and you don't have to leave the house!
    http://www.exactaudiocopy.de and the burning software is built in... Have you seen us talk about that proggie before?

20. Dave B

Thanks for the tip Sckott. I wasn't aware of this software. I'll download and play with it this weekend.

21. Dave B

I want to thank Luke, Sckott, Craig and everyone else who responded to my question. I spent most of the day cleaning up and re-marking tracks on some previously recorded CD-Rs. It worked better than I expected. I also sucessfully tested recording to a CD-RW on my CD Recorder and then down loading to my hard drive. So, thanks again for the help guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.