CD/record stores in Ft Worth, TX?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by JRB, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRB

JRB Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know if there are any good places to shop in Ft Worth and points west? I have to stay down here in Mineral Wells for a bit and so far I haven't seen anywhere besides Wal-mart and a Best Buy that isn't very well stocked - even for Best Buy... and neither one is carrying the new Sara Watkins CD :(

2. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

:(:shake::cry:

3. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Forever Young Records

2955 S Highway 360
    Grand Prairie, Texas, 75052
    (972) 206-2726

Bill's Records

1313 S Lamar St
    Dallas, TX 75215
    (214) 421-1500

4. texron

texron Rory On

Come a little north and find Recycles records in Denton, 90% of the inventory is used but there are some GREAT finds.

5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Uh....look out at Bill's. The last time I was in there, nothing was priced and when you requested the price on an item it seemed it was made up on the spot. I have left there many times empty handed because of their pricing practices. They have a decent selection so it might be worth a look.

I have also been to Forever Young and my experience there has been good selection, decent quality, and decent prices.

I would also include the Half Price Books chain. Again, decent selection, quality and prices. I don't remember if there is a store in Ft. Worth.

6. JRB

JRB Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did find the address and number for Half Price. They have 2 locations in Ft Worth. I'll ckeck them out when i finally venture into the city. I was kind of hoping there would be some places a little closer to Weatherford and Mineral Wells.

7. omz

omz Forum Resident

Good Records in Dallas. Bill's sucks these days and Forever Young is way overpriced...

Good is the only true independent store in DFW as far as I am concerned.

8. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

good records is 'good' if you're looking for cd's, or vinyl from newer indie type bands

bill's is as described above, forever young is good, sometimes overpriced, but a few good deals (they have a really big selection of used vinyl)

there are 2 1/2 prices in ftw, both usually have decent selection

recycled in denton is great too

if you're gonna be in mineral wells, all of these are gonna be a pretty good hike for you.

if you're in town sunday night, come and see me play at THE FLYING SAUCER downtown ftw at 8.30!!!

9. rcarlton

rcarlton Forum Resident

10. omz

omz Forum Resident

the new Bill's is a shadow of what his store in north Dallas was for years and years. You won't find many new cd's in there, mainly used crap. And the vinyl section is daunting...very badly organized (if at all) and just racks and racks of used vinyl, not much of which is very interesting. he sells most of his really valuable stuff on ebay and has for years.

Have you seen the new vinyl section at Good? it takes up the entire upstairs. Not to mention, pretty much anything they don't have they can get, if you order it, and VERY quickly. and at extremely reasonable prices.

Don't get me started about Forever Young...those guys are rude and their new cd's are very often priced in the $16-$18 range...and imports MUCH higher. it's not uncommon to see a fairly obtainable import cd in there for upwards of $30...

11. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Accept that you are on the east edge of west Texas. West Texas is a vast open wasteland, meant to be crossed at high speed. Jump in your vehicle. Fly into town, in fact through town because Grand Prarie is the closest record store mentioned. If you live in Ft. Worth, you shop in Dallas.

When I lived in Ft. Worth, Sound Warehouse was still going strong. The next best options were in east Arlington and Irving. I would tell you where I shopped in Dallas when I lived there 20 years ago, but why? The best stocked place then, is a condom store now. I don't know for sure that RPM in Garland closed but if I had to bet...

12. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Well I have tried Half Price Books stores around Dallas Ft but the selection is small, however I was lucky enough to find a couple of nice deals there, and they usually have LP's if you're interested.

I have to agree that Forever Young Records is overpriced but they have a huge selection so give them a try, probably they could have what you're looking for.

13. omz

omz Forum Resident

RPM has been closed for almost 10 years. :thumbsdn:

14. bigmikerocks

15. misssunshine

misssunshine New Member

Is Connoisseurs Groovy Originals run by Richard Lattanzi over in Arlington still in business?

16. rockclassics

Whoa....Sound Warehouse. That brings back some memories when I was in Ft. Worth in the late 70s. Anybody remember Budget Records and Tapes?

17. Tom in Houston

You are going to send this innocent OP into Euless/Bedford Why not just direct him to Haltom City and completely sap his will to live!?!

18. Tom in Houston

Budget? yes but in College Station. Albums for $3.99 - new original pressings!

Ft.Worth - I remember the B-52s coming in just overhead in the Neiman Marcus parking lot.

My Sound Warehouse was on Camp Bowie.

19. k-man

k-man Forum Resident

Doc's is good

20. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Half-Price Books and Cash America Pawn.

21. rockclassics

That's the place. There was also one on Berry Street just down from the TCU campus. Budget was also on Berry Street - just east of University. A real hole in the wall, but they had quite a selection of vinyl and 8 tracks.

22. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

+1 For Doc's...I try to stop at least once a week to see if he's got anything new in. Tons of stuff can be found under the racks for a buck each.

23. misssunshine

misssunshine New Member

there was a store near the corner of Berry & University called Record Town.

24. bigmikerocks

it's still there, but i've yet to see anything of interest anytime i've ever gone in there

25. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I'll put in another vote for Doc's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.