CD-Rs and bootlegs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cdice, Oct 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdice

cdice New Member Thread Starter

I have a 'bootleg' Beatles CD that is actually a CD-R. I tried to make a copy of this CD-R for a friend, who is just getting into "Beatles Rarities", and my computer crashes every time I try to burn the copy. I'm using Easy CD Creator 5.0. Is there some secret method of copying one CD-R to another CD-R?

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Welcome to the forum...here's a great place to find this sort of info out...

www.roxio.com

And here's one for those who want to know much more....

www.cdrfaq.org

Good luck!

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You should be using EAC to make copies, as some Roxio products tend to be buggy, busy and sometimes difficult.

www.exactaudiocopy.de

You're basically going to image the disc to the hard drive and then record it. Check documentation for how-to's. It's very simple, and very stable. You should never believe or try to copy disc-to-disc directly using a computer. There's reasons why, including bandwith on the secondary bus, and dropped information turning into very nasty artifacts on the burned disc.

Roxio disc-to-disc process uses the HD to image before burning, but again, can be difficult.

Other problem factors could be CD drive and having too much running on the PC in the background...

4. RDK

RDK Active Member

Because I'm using XP I've had trouble with EAC. I have been using Roxio for a couple of years now with very good results. Yes, make sure you image to the HD first, and I never do anything else on the 'puter while a disc is burning - should work fine. I suppose a fast computer helps.

Ray

5. RDK

RDK Active Member

CDice, is your computer crashing while extracting the data or while burning to the new CDR? With problem discs, I find that sometime using a different CD drive will help. For example, extract first (and save to HD) with the same drive you'll later burn to - provided, of, course, that you're using separate read and write drives).

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Ray...I'd heard that XP and EAC don't mix well but I decided to find out for myself firsthand and I don't have any probs whatsoever. As a matter of fact it works better. What kind of difficulties does it present for you? Is your file syaytem FAT32 or NTFS? It probably doesn't work on a NTFS hard drive too well or not at all.

7. Sckott

XP won't work with most CDR software unless you force install universal ASPI drivers. Microsoft wanted to monopolize (with roxio) the CDR action for XP, and wanted users to use Windows Media Player. Problem is, WMP is a POS and is 3x as fat and buggy as the Roxio products alone.

The Force ASPI is 100% safe, and available for download at
    http://www.clonecd.net/aspi.htm

Note: This file is only for XP/2000 users who have problems with the ability of using a CDR software product external to WMP.

NTFS and Fat32 has absolutely no effect on the performance on CD software. However, DMA does. Check to see (Control pannel, system, CDR drive, properties) if the drive supports DMA, and if it's checked off.

8. RDK

RDK Active Member

I'm running in NTFS. I actually tried the ASPI driver that Sckott recommended (prior to my getting the new version of Roxio that works with XP) and had no luck with it at the time. I still have EAC installed, but haven't tried using it in several months, so maybe now that my system is more stabilized i'll give it another shot.

And yes, Windows Media Player sucks big time! What the hell where they thinking??

Ray

9. Sckott

Mediua Player 6+ is actually really good for many things, but once they threw everything and the kitchen sink into WMP, it does nothing but lag, crash and fart around. Really embarrassing. Whoever wrote that code should be exposed. Yuck.

I'm using XP with two PCs, both NTFS and Fat32 for technical reasons, EAC has no problems.

Adaptec also has a new ASPI check on the site, which also might be on Roxio's that checks the validity of the ASPI drivers. To be honest, although one of my two PCs don't come up with a 'green light' on that test, it still burns using EAC and NERO quite well.

Nero absolutely kicks royal butt on making VCDs and special-function CDRs. Works well with audio too!

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

:D Welcome, cdice! You have come to the right forum; you are a wise man.

The roxio software I'm currently using came with the PC. It's 4.0 doesn't burn vinyl like the 5 does. Overall, at a 4x burn, I haven't any problems dubbing any CDRs. However, I've found a handful of discs the stupid thing just will not play, and I've no idea why. Among them: my Stones SACD hybrids; a Gentrys comp on Collectables; a canadian Bells comp; and maybe five others out of the few thousand disc kicking around here. What speed are you burning at? How much RAM do you have.? Have you gone in and checked how much hard drive space you have? I find the entire system works better with a monthly defragmentation; speeds things up a little and everything just seems smoother. When things are going well I can burn and still hang around here; window response is a bit sluggish but otherwise okay(did get knocked off last night, though; very unusual). Overall the software has been good to me with exceptions noted above; never crashed the system, either; that happened early on when after I bought a LOST IN SPACE CD-ROM with screensavers, sounds, all sortsa goodies. Bastard took over the system totally, then froze it up. Had to call tech help, reboot and then delete the SOB.
    Sckott, you're right about WMP: not worth a damn.

ED:cool:

BTW, Magic, the HARVEST DVD-A finally arrived! Hallelujah! Sounds great; will give a better review in a day or two; must take time to really drink it in.
    :p

11. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

One other thing...I can't use the latest beta. It just simply hangs on a write. I went back to an older version and it worked like a charm. Have you tried that?

12. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Glad to hear it! N'joy my friend and get back to us on it....

13. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Off topic a bit Sckott...is there any reason that I shouldn't be using NTFS if XP works fine with all drivers, hardware and software currently in my system? What's the drawbacks?

Another note...what do you think about Media Player 9? :( :realmad:

14. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Ed, I'm also running 4.0 and it runs well and glitch free. I had upgraded to to 5 and found nothing but problems including a number of coasters.:realmad:

Got rid of it and went back to 4.0 and once again no problems.

As we say on this site...remasters are not always better than an older version!

15. Sckott

NTFS has it's ups and downs. Let's just say it's actually much less hectic for me to troubleshoot XP from Fat32 using a floppy. When using NTFS and XP, you have to use the original Microsoft XP disc, or trying to navigate around ONLY the recovery console leaves limited options.

However, NTFS does have the ultimate in file security and the ability to handle up to 2 terabytes.

However, I've had to tell many people with using NTFS, if you lose your secure password, uh, you're basically screwed and have to reload.

WMP 9 I've tried. It has it's neat features, but it's still incredibly chunky in the ass. I don't believe that a program is "better" because it has "more". Photoshop and Draw users might say the same thing, but are still almost forced to use the more powerful and butt-heavy later versions.

More on Fat32 and NTFS: http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/windowstips/story/0,24330,3201552,00.html

Again, WMP 6+ is great. Plays almost everything and can be modified to play hacked versions of divx4. On all systems 98 and higher: Start, Run. Type in "mplayer2" without quotes and OK. A great VCD and mp3 player and performs better than anything made like it. If you need visual goo, yes, Winamp is great, but then again, even that program is starting to get too chunky. Winamp 3? Oh, please!! :realmad:

Right now, XP is in the pink, and drivers for XP are out-n-about for just about anything. At the very least, Win2000/NT drivers will also work for legacy crap, with a pinch of luck. Windows 98, for the home, is still king, and that goes three-fold for gamers. Don't go XP if you intend to invest in a kickass motherboard and Gforce card and want to play UT 2003 and Halflife/Unreal engined games.

If anyone has questions, I would encorage a new thread in OT. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.