CD sales increase in the US - 2023

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Retro Music Man, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I believe that it has been in the Taylor Swift direction. 1 in every 15 (7%) LP sold

2. CD_Scott

CD_Scott Forum Resident

Just a reminder that if CDs are your preferred format, it's important that you make an effort to buy new copies whenever possible! It's the only way CDs will continue to survive in the future. I only buy used CDs if the title is out of print.

3. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good point. For people who like dynamic mastering, I've noticed that Warner Records have a lot of their older '80s and '90s masters still in print - especially in Europe.

CD_Scott likes this.
  4. Ital Galore

Ital Galore Forum Resident

5. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

So ironic that major labels essentially did the same thing with vinyl in the late '80s. In an attempt to hasten its demise, they reduced the quality of pressings and added bonus tracks to the CD & tape versions of an album. Now, in a complete 180, there's vinyl / streaming exclusive tracks on albums and CDs come in crappy cardboard packaging! Oh, and the mastering sucks.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
    Dave likes this.
  6. Sarge72

Sarge72 Well-Known Member

what’s the going price on most CDs at PREX? Up by me at Factory Records in Dover they were all $3 a pop for a couple years… guy got greedy And now most are $5-$8 at that price it’s easier/cheaper to go Discogs.

7. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

In the general used section its anywhere from $1.99 -$4.99....and some that they haven't moved in a while are marked down to $1.00. The turnover happens so much there that I end up trying to go once a week to see what new stock they have in.

Sarge72 likes this.
  8. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Until I get a new car, CD is the only way to listen to music while I drive. My touchscreen is dead so can’t switch to phone input or radio

usually I focus my CD buying on SACds and box sets but have found myself buying a lot more recently. Also getting close to filling up my vinyl cubes so anything that I think will be mostly car listening I just buy the CD

TONY MAGS and Kingsley Fats like this.
  9. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I have the same problem with my car, though I can still access the radio although I seldom use it.
    Those touchscreens are good when they work but ....

10. TONY MAGS

TONY MAGS Active Member

i like vinyl
    but i love the compact disc

11. TONY MAGS

TONY MAGS Active Member

i just picked up this player love it
    paid only $300