CD shipped without jewel case - ok?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by audiorocks, Oct 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’d say yes, unless there is something special about the case.

bicyclops and tmtomh like this.
  2. JCade821

JCade821 Well-Known Member

May be for the best anyway. I have often had jewel cases break during the shipping/delivering process. Cracked cases, broken hinges etc. so I have to get a new jewel case, though lately I just let it go and live with it.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

"Hiding the information in the terms in conditions" is an oxymoron. If the terms and conditions were a hyper-dense, multi-page legal document like software licenses or credit card agreements, I would agree with you. But that's not the case here. When the seller states the information in the Terms and Conditions, that is not hiding the information - it's the opposite of hiding the information.

Again, I certainly agree that they should make it more prominent, and I would guess the seller would be receptive to a message suggesting that. But beyond that, you're doing the thing many buyers do, which is retroactively finding a reason to blame the seller for something that was your responsibility. Sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear, and I apologize in advance if you find this offensive - but you started a thread whose title asks if what the seller did here is "ok?" and so you have to expect that some of us might respond "Yes" to that question even if you were hoping for everyone to say "No."

Dave, bicyclops and hutchguv like this.
  4. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Common practice. Have done that myself to cut ship costs. If someone did it without telling me I would ask for a refund . Sketchy of seller not to include this in main description. Usually when sellers jack me around like that I just kindly tell them I am going to trash their feedback, get a partial refund, or even a refund and keep it anyway - I don't tolerate overrrated condition, and tricky descriptions.

audiorocks and mark winstanley like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I didn't start the thread, and frankly I don't care if you think it is cool to send half a product via a convoluted process of putting important information about the product in the terms and conditions, rather than the product description, where it belongs.

6. mark winstanley

Exactly the point

D-rock likes this.
  7. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

I've bought CDs without jewel cases a few times to cut shipping costs.
    Usually they were cheap CDs.
    And usually the packing did not protect CDs from scratching, sometimes badly.

I would not hassle if the CD you received was not damaged.
    Anyway in many cases jewel cases crack in transit, and you'll need a replacement.

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. Mr. Siegal

Mr. Siegal Forum Resident

'jewel' case

9. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

True, but as I said it might have sth to do with changing shipping methods
    From Germany it is actually cheaper to send the "Package" (= with jewel case) than a letter (= without)

mark winstanley likes this.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

As long as you received everything in the condition stated I would just put it in a new case. I've done that before.

bicyclops likes this.
  11. speedracer

I say smoke the slippery weasel, he needs to start telling buyers up front that he is selling CDs without cases. For me it is a protection concern - CDs out of case tend to get scuffed or scratched in transit.

D-rock likes this.
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I apologize for my error about you being the OP. My bad, sorry.

A universal practice applied to all of a seller's items - in this case no jewel case - is perfectly appropriate for Terms and Conditions, because jewel cases are not graded on Discogs. There's nothing convoluted about it.

bicyclops likes this.
  13. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

You should see what happens when they ship vinyl without the cover!

14. speedracer

Here is what I would do. Get the seller to send me a prepaid return label, then put a 100 pound anvil in a box and ship it back.

NumberEight likes this.
  15. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll go with the consensus here and take it in the shorts because that's the consensus, but as you might have guessed I don't appreciate the seller's underhanded cost-saving tactic at all. Not sure what to do about the Discogs feedback.

Is there any place online to get good jewel cases these days?

speedracer likes this.
  16. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Buy a box of 50 and move on

thematinggame and johnnybrum like this.
  17. speedracer

No consensus for me - I say put some heat on that little hustler !

18. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

This is why I throw CDs in the trash instead of selling them. Too many PIA buyers.

MrSka57 and johnnybrum like this.
  19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Seriously. People are actually cheering on the completely unreasonable suggestion of leaving negative feedback for delivering the correct CD in exactly the manner the buyer agreed to? Are you kidding?

I've got an entire shipping box of 120 CDs pruned from my collection. This thread convinces me to donate them to Goodwill rather than go to the potential hassle of selling them online.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  20. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I'd say at least 8 out of 10 purchases I replace the jewel case anyhow because the cases are just plain scuffed and grody despite the disc itself being described as near mint. My opinion; Most sellers of used CDs are obviously not handling and storing them properly. There are some however that exceed my expectations. I like that.

MrSka57 likes this.
  21. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

Reading some of the responses here makes me glad I am only a buyer, not a seller.

D-rock, murphmanz and c-eling like this.
  22. mark winstanley

It is not perfectly acceptable.

A cd comes in a case, or a cardboard sleeve. It comes in that sleeve for presentation purposes, but also, and mainly to protect the disc.

If the seller wants to remove the protective case, he is altering the product. It is as straight forward and simple as that.

It has nothing to do with the business transaction, or the shipping.
    As the buyer generally pays for the shipping, then the buyer gets to decide if he wants the case or not.

Removal, or damage to part of the product, is very simply a product description issue, by simple terms of logic.

The buyer is not in the right, to alter a product in any way, and not describe it as such in the product description. That is why there is a product description.

D-rock, audiorocks and speedracer like this.
  23. mark winstanley

No, this thread is saying that product description exists for a reason.
    Anyone that is shady enough to put an obvious product description issue in the terms and conditions needs to be corrected.

spanky1, D-rock, audiorocks and 2 others like this.
  24. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Sketchy or not, just slap it in a new jewel case and call it a day. None of this is worth stressing about.

Dave, MrSka57, bicyclops and 2 others like this.
  25. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Reminds me- saw an ebay seller last week stating he will no longer continue to grade LP's anymore. Said he's had too many 'new to the format' buyers expecting flawless miracles from them. :laugh:
    He'll provide excellent pictures and that's it, they can judge for themselves the grade. Pretty funny!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.