CD Storage Options

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

2’ x 2’ vs 2.5’ x 0.9’

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I had a couple of spinning towers years ago, very slim, then got a fatter spinning tower. I liked the density of the storage they provided, but my collection grew too large for that solution to remain practical.

I gave up around 2005 and ripped everything, then dumped the CDs into boxes in the closet. That was a lot of boxes, which I drug to three separate apartments. After 5 years of that I realized I was never gonna need most of those jewel cases again, so I "deboned" the CDs, removing the jewel cases and storing the booklets in 3 sliding drawer units originally used to store software CDs. The back covers I keep in larger storage boxes meant to store DVDs. All in alpha order, although I haven't bothered to integrate the stuff I've bought in the past decade or so in with the rest of the collection, yet.

The CDs themselves are (mostly) in alpha order on those blank CD spindles, kept in a couple of large plastic storage tubs. The whole mess weighs less than 1/3rd of what it used to and takes up maybe 1/2 the space (the round CD spindles don't store all that efficiently in square boxes, although I'm sure if I tried I could find other junk I store that could tuck into the gaps between them...).

Absolutely. Rip them to a drive and back that thing up offsite. It's becoming very difficult to find even once common titles on CD now, and while lots of stuff is available on streaming services, it won't be lossless and it might be from an inferior, compressed to hell master.

3. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I use Case Logic cases, and put the inserts away. CD’s are not something I’ve ever displayed. I hate the plastic cases they come in with a passion. I wish there was something similar for cassettes.

gitters likes this.
  4. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

sunspot42 and Doctor Hugocat like this.
  5. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Honestly no idea.
    Assumed there could be an office manufacturer making cabinets in 100s or 1000s for much less.
    Bisley filing cabinets are the smoothest drawers I have ever used.
    Their normal filing cabinets would take CDs stacked 2 high which is probably not what most people want.
    Two or three CDs across and 24" deep.
    Think they would be fine with the weight too
    See them on Ebay going for very little and also on Freecycle

Do you have a manufacturer in Italy that makes similar ?

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  6. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been haunted by the image of the shelf tipping over and 1000 CDs crashing to the floor. I'd like to avoid the need to fasten anything to a wall if possible. For this reason, I'm seriously looking at one of those rotating CD racks. This particular model seems quite stable.

The Space Saving Rotating CD/DVD Tower - Hammacher Schlemmer

CDFanatic and Mbe like this.
  7. I actually had a Case Logic cassette case back in the early 2000s that I found at Big Lots. It was zipper style just like the CD binders, and it had 16 slots to store the loose cassette tapes. I've tried looking for them on Ebay and such, but never have any luck.

aphexacid likes this.
  8. nabil98

nabil98 Senior Member

+1 for the billy bookcase good looking, inexpensive, easy to assemble, lasts forever, can add a glass door for more dust protection

RoyalScam and sunspot42 like this.
  9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

One thing to note here is the cost of some of these storage solutions. The $200+ you spend on just one of these spinners - let alone a host of them or other shelving units - would buy you a lot of hard drive storage these days. In addition to getting tired of moving the damn things from apartment to apartment, the realization I needed to completely revamp my CD storage - for several hundred dollars - is part of what drove me to finally just rip the whole mess and leave the discs stashed in their moving boxes. I thought I'd miss the physical discs but I never do. I can't remember the last time I even pulled out the liner notes for any discs - most of that material (and more) is available online anyhow, if I want to see it.

10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Gave my billy case full of CDs a good shake today. It ain’t tipping forward and it’s not attached to the wall.

dennis1077 likes this.
  11. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I like all my CDs On shelves.
    The one with the link you gave us in the OP is perfect..

dennis1077 likes this.
  12. dennis1077

Think I'll give the Billy another look. My biggest reservation was the fact that it came with a wall fastener. To me, that implied instability.

13. Actually it is more likely to imply Health & Safety conformance.

If someone were to load the bookcase from the top down it could be unstable, that may even be mentioned in the product guide, although knowing Ikea it is likely a series of diagrams rather than text.

emmodad and sunspot42 like this.
  14. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Oh no, I had one Billy in my previous apartment and it was very, very solid. It's simple and well built - which you could probably say of much of the old IKEA designs/series. I just find it incredibly boring, that's all. And as someone said here, glass doors aren't an option - the whole thing would get too pricey for what it is - but doors are indeed a plus, when it comes to storing things that are important to me

15. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Not sure, MikeMusic, I never thought of something like that as an option. At a guess, filing cabinets in Italy would be either designer things, i.e. very expensive and not practical, or cheap imports, i.e. flimsy. I remember seeing some really nice dedicated furniture on the ads pages inside music magazines like Q or Mojo, but that was years ago. I sometimes wonder if the UK has more of an interest in these kind of things, or maybe I just don't know where to look

16. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

Billy is designed as a bookshelf and is not ideal for CDs. It's simply too deep. If you want particle board stuff then look at something like this.

CDV likes this.
  17. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

I did not know they use inches in Canada. Even with the old-fashioned top part it is only 162 cm high. Browsing other offers, I can see Multimedia Storage Rack from Zipcode Design that is 181 cm high. Only US $150 with free shipping. Hmm...

This dude is obsessed with Russian Dolls:

[​IMG]

dennis1077 likes this.
  18. dennis1077

That looks like what I need. I just worry about how stable it is. If that tipped over with my CDs I'd be devastated.
    That is BY FAR the best price I've seen. You may have picked my new CD rack! My only fear is how tall that thing is. I have this irrational fear of these giant media shelves tipping over with my beloved CD collection.

19. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

I have one. It's super stable.

dennis1077 likes this.
  20. CDV

CDV Forum Resident

Then just anchor it to the wall. I have mine anchored. It is a safety measure, which is especially useful if you have a cat or an infant.

bever70, emmodad and sunspot42 like this.
  21. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

This is fantastic. How is it supported on the bottom? I would LOVE to give this a go.
    Cheers.
    edit: I think I see now: Are there "flange fittings" that act as feet?

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

So? Anchor it to the wall. "Problem" solved.

bever70 likes this.
  23. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

+1
    however
    "lasts forever": if you do move them (esp if you have ie a moving company do so), remember at core they are screw/camlock-fastened particleboard frames and shelves.

Non-solid-wood "flat-pack" furniture is well-known to be contributing a perverse amount to increase in landfill, as it as a class is often not – without specific a priori precautions – sturdy enough to survive "moving companies." For similar reasons, second-hand shops generally don't like to accept flat-pack furniture for resale.

I tacked thin solid sheeting covering the backs of non-disassembled Billys to provide an extra degree of dimensional stability when they were going into storage; movers (who completely understood the issue) also shrinkwrapped them – with shelves in place – to make each bookshelf a stable "block" for storage.

Glass doors
    some of the IKEA kitchen glass cabinet doors fit Billy perfectly. (The following is an IKEA hack ;)): I assembled a modular, easy to disassemble for moving, ~12'-wide "entertainment center / shelving" unit by connecting several tall BIlly 4 wide side-by-side; with two short Billys (each no back panel) simply strap/screwed in front of each tall, and glass doors on front of the foremost shorts. With shelves in place, this was utterly solid. Never moved even in Bay Area ground rumblings. Total cost using clean flawless craigslist Billys and glass cabinet doors was ~usd300

CDV likes this.
  24. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

or simply that IKEA sells the product in multiple jurisdictions (ie Sweden, Germany; Japan, NZ, California) which have requirement for such to address either child-safety regulations or the fact that the ground shakes.

NB: whether IKEA or any other vendor, tall bookshelves if standing on their own should always be fastened to wall. commonsense safety.

dennis1077 likes this.
  25. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

1/ shallow wooden boxes (short or deep) ie Container Store; or wooden wine boxes (cheap or free); oriented horizontally or vertically; or

2/ cut shelf-width strip of cardboard (you do have amazon shipping boxes laying around, , yes? ;)) or thin wood/particle; or use small amazon boxes, as spacer width of your choice to lay on shelf between CDs & back panel

(I have no affiliation w IKEA, and don't care for their meatballs....)

(methinks we'll have to start another thread about how various-dimension amazon cardboard shipping boxes – closed but not broken down – fit inside each other in multiples, providing structural rigidity.... allowing for the creation of simple solid furniture such as end tables, table bases, bookshelf risers, and more...)

edit: spell/format