CD Storage Options

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Sep 8, 2020.

1. moops

moops Senior Member

IKEA once produced a decent size cabinet with adjustable shelves, specifically designed it seems for CD or DVD collections, it was called a Dromme from memory. Financial restrictions at the time restricted me to three, as four would have been ideal. Sliding doors allow you to choose to display or not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm in the process of ditching some of the jewel cases and transferring to Slim Disc sleeves to save space and I'm really enjoying the process.
    No artwork is sacrificed with the Slim Disc sleeves either which is nice.

Slim Disc - High Quality Cost Effective Space Saving Storage System For CD/DVD/BLURAY/VINYL

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. nabil98

nabil98 Senior Member

I had these billy bookcases for more than 10 years, and yes they have to be disassembled and reassembled if you were to move them somewhere else, but given the price and ease of assembly it is well worth it. These have to be tucked to the wall for safety and stability. The doors option is available in IKEA itself, it might vary from a place to another, but we have them here in IKEA-Bahrain, they don't cost much and easy to assemble and they look so beautiful with the CDs inside.

3. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Oh, I could actually love this! Not a fan of IKEA, but this one has it all for me

moops likes this.
  4. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I googled "fasten shelves to walls" and was given an assortment of different tools. Is there a particular device commonly recommended for securing 1000 CDs to a wall?

5. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

Flanges bolted into the wall at the top. Free floating flanges as feet on the bottom. Trust me when say it’s never coming down. Shelves are floating as well. They just rest on the pipe unions (6 per shelf).

bever70 and wrappedinsky like this.
  6. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Sorry but this post gave me a chuckle....I suppose you're no handy harry ?!
    To answer your question...they're called 'screws' . But be aware, they come in all sorts and sizes ;).

CDV and stetsonic like this.
  7. dennis1077

I still have to recite, "Righty tighty, lefty loosey" when using a screwdriver.

patrickd and bever70 like this.
  8. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Oh, so you actually have a screwdriver ?! Well you're all set then. Now go get some screws as well :D.

dennis1077 likes this.
  9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Do you think he is ready for a stud finder or at least a wall anchor?

bever70 likes this.
  10. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Cheap & cheerful:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basic track and bracket hardware from Menards (my local mega-hardware) with unfinished pine boards for shelves. The classic look fits well with my Scandinavian furniture and decor. This unit is Jazz, and there's a similar unit on the other side of the room that holds my Classical collection. Rock/Pop lives in CD binders.

CDV, Dignan2000, ermylaw and 2 others like this.
  11. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

I recently posted this on another thread here about storing collections. I recently moved all my CD's to one wall and arranged all my vinyl on the opposite wall. Years ago I built simple CD shelves using 6" pine from the hardware store. Slapped then together and painted them. When I moved my collection, I ran out of wall space so took one of the shelves I built and put it on wheels and attached it to a simple bracket setup it to the top of the shelves secured to the wall so it wouldn't fall over. Now I can just slide that one 3 foot second back and forth to access the ones behind. Working well so far!

[​IMG]

Mowgli, live evil, siebrand and 14 others like this.
  12. dennis1077

I don't even know what a stud finder is.

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Beautiful shelves! Looks like 7,000 CDs!

Sedwards likes this.
  14. Very nice

15. Well It is different depending on what city you live in. :tiphat:

stetsonic, Mbe, bever70 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Thank you. Did this way mostly because I'm cheap! 6" pine and a box of screws is pretty low cost.

Somewhere around there, on the count, I think. And probably another 1500 or so in cd box sets that are not on these shelves, including several classical mega-boxes. I offloaded a lot of my non-classical cds when I moved them to a server and also got back into vinyl. There are about 5,000 LPs on the wall opposite this one and I listen to most of my rock/blues/jazz/etc stuff on records.

siebrand and Brenald79 like this.
  17. moops

moops Senior Member

Thank you Mazzy, the room's a bit of a mess at the moment, though. I hold you various room layouts as pretty much the benchmark around here, so I'll take your compliment as a sign I'm somewhat headed in the right direction.

:wave:

Mazzy likes this.
  18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Honestly man, I think you should build a shelve exactly like one of the two above pictures. Instead of buying a pricey wood unit, spend your money on a cordless drill and a few other tools.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

That is slick! :righton:

bever70 and Sedwards like this.
  20. srobak

srobak Well-Known Member

Nah. It implies children. :) And their thinking it is a ladder or a pseudo monkey-bar set.

siebrand likes this.
  21. srobak

srobak Well-Known Member

Now this is very slick. I vaguely recall seeing that in the chicago ikea store like 20 years ago and thinking "I gotta get that some day".... nice to know that now I can't. :/ Ah well. Looks awesome though. Nicely done.

22. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

That intrigues me as I have a good number of cds with 'boring' plain jewel cases and do need to reduce the amount of space they're taking up particular those by artists who aren't in heavy rotation. Box sets are less of an issue.

How are you finding using the Slim Discs?

23. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Look out if there are children around or punters even more doddery than us.
    :)
    Otherwise all fine
    None of mine are fixed to the wall

24. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Have a look around Amazon and Ebay for office furniture see what pops up.
    If I were to start again from scratch with nothing and a bigger room I'm not sure if I would go for drawers or stick with Billy

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  25. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

All or most of the bookshelves are
    The CD rack and possibly some bookshelves are just right