CD Storage Options

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Sep 8, 2020.

1. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

2. moops

moops Senior Member

I've found the Slim Disc sleeves excellent, great quality and they provide an acid free paper inner sleeve for your discs. There's a short video about the CD sleeves on their website as well.

I'm a little OCD with my CDs an probably wouldn't have considered these in the past, but it's working out fine.

3. moops

moops Senior Member

Thanks ! ........ yeah, they were around at CD's peak for a time and pretty much perfect for what I was looking for. And yeah, naturally when I went to buy a forth some time later, nothing remotely like it existed.

Once I switch at least half of the jewel cases to the Slim Disc sleeves I should be able to fit all my CDs in the shelving. :thumbsup:

4. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    patient_ot likes this.
  5. irong

irong Forum Resident

I find that very interesting. What about 2CDs releases? Is there any convenient and safe way of sliding them into the same sleeve? Or do you use 2 separate sleeves for double albums and comps?

fuse999 likes this.
  6. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I’ve got 3 Billy bookcases that made 4 moves in 20 years. They’re attached together with 1 ½ inch Chicago bolts, and fastened to the wall with 3 toggle bolts (one on each bookcase). Full to the brim with CDs and CD inserts. Those f—kers aren’t going ANYWHERE.

Brenald79 likes this.
  7. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

One disc per sleeve

8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

That looks like a very nice shelf for CDs. I just ran over to Home Depot and bought some wood and stain and put this together in a few hours, works nicely and you can save some money for sure. I simply stained it with some mahogany stain, put a little tongue oil on it and I was ready to go. Secured to wall with two L brackets and it's a done deal.

[​IMG]

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

And when you had finished, your SCD-1 was still saying TOC Reading! :laugh:

Litejazz53 and eelkiller like this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Nice work! That’s the best CD shelf I’ve ever seen.

Litejazz53 likes this.
  11. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

That looks amazing! Nice work.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I just don't get how people are so enamored with storing things so they have to read the spines sideways. Surprisingly, none of these shelves come with a supply of Ibuprofen.

And, I don't see why more furniture manufacturers aren't making drawers more suited for CD's, DVD's and Blu-Rays (with file-cabinet drawer hardware and reinforced drawer construction).

siebrand likes this.
  13. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

I did the same with laminated chipboard/particle board from B&Q, a UK supplier. A few 2.1 metre lengths, leave two of them uncut to be the end cheeks, cut as many shelves as needed from the remainder, along with (optionally) two pieces to use as templates for placing all the shelves at the same spacing, drive furniture screws in horizontally through end cheeks into the shelves.

Hardboard backing is optional, as is painting it to match the laminate.

Swann36 likes this.
  14. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

If it's good enough for centuries' worth of books, for LPs, for DVDs, and such, why not for CDs?

Brenald79, bever70 and dennis1077 like this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The Jazzloft/Space Saving Sleeves I showed upthread accomodate this. I've even fit up to three discs into them before, again, without losing any artwork. If your double CD came in a "fatboy" style case you have the option of using 1 sleeve for 2 discs or 2 separate sleeves.

Dignan2000 and irong like this.
  16. Dillydipper

Because CD's are smaller, meaning type is smaller, meaning there are more of them in smaller amount of space to search through...and with younger people gravitating towards files (which you also don't read sideways), that means older people with weaker eyesight are left to both squint sideways, and/or constantly be cricking their necks sideways. What have you got against progress and ergonomics?

17. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Placing them with spines horizontally is not ergonomic. Placing them in drawers with spines uppermost is more troublesome than shelves when adding new items to the first half of the collection. Not ergonomic either. Placing them with front cover facing is impossible for all but the smallest collection.

18. Dillydipper

Who cares about "front cover facing"? As far as your other points, having had my CD's in a specially-made storage chest for a couple decades, I have to disagree with you.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. irong

irong Forum Resident

Oh yeah thank you, I was confusing this and that. With the windowed inner sleeve it looks absolutely fantastic.

patient_ot likes this.
  20. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Didn't say anyone did. It's merely 'another' way of storing which isn't spine out vertical.

21. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Threadcrappers gonna threadcrap.

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Sultans gotta snark.

23. Very nice. Are there vertical supports throughout the center ? I found unless the shelves are really thick , they need to be supported ever 20” length so they don’t sag.

Litejazz53 and bever70 like this.
  24. Because most people are getting rid of physical media. They follow what sells.

25. Dillydipper

Yes. They're eating more organics too. But that's irrelevant to the subject I was discussing: people who have CD's, storing them 90 degrees from better legibility, by standing them up on shelves.
    Are you also going to pick apart my point because I mentioned Ibuprofen instead of Acetaminophen?

siebrand and sunspot42 like this.