CD storage wall mounted options, help please!

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by babaluma, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought I would ask as I am looking for a good wall mounted CD storage system and have not found anything that fits the bill. I have about 800 CDs I want to put up on the side of my music room. I want it fully wall mounted and quite light so possibly thin metal rather than wood. I want narrow shelves only about the size of a CD so it does not intrude too much into the room as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions, even for firms who may make a custom system for me?

Thanks!

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Not sure where you're located but here's a UK site worth having a look at http://www.coolshelving.com/

Even if you're not based in the UK it might give you some ideas.

babaluma likes this.
  3. babaluma

Great thanks, I will check them out.

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Nice clean design, thanks for sharing the link too.

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

There's a shop in the UK called Habitat, which is nothing like it once was, and many many years ago they had a wall mounted cd rack for sale. It was part of some famous people design thing they had going and this one was designed by Sharleen Spiteri from the band Texas.

Here's a picture of it I found online. [​IMG]

I quite liked them myself but I had too many cds. In addition the price wasn't cheap and I was renting at the time so my landlord wouldn't made a fuss if I wanted to put a few of these up.

It held about 500 cds. I'm pretty sure it was made out of stainless steel with the vertical large sections in the photo wood (I think)

You might be able to find a local craftsman to make a couple of these for you.

EDIT: Here's a link to an April 2015 ebay auction. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CD-rack-R...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The auction will probably disappear soon enough but the details are there still. Dimensions are 39.5" x 5.25" x 28.25

It looks like the whole things is connected via the sides and the middle section with a long (?) screw. You can see the top in the ebay ad.

babaluma likes this.
  6. babaluma

Thanks is looks very nice!

7. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

I just picked up a couple of the Ikea Gnedby units. Here is a link to them. String up a few of them up and your storage problems are solved.

8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for continued posts.

9. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Another Gnedby fan here. Bolt a few together with cabinet bolts and get some Ikea Corner Kits and you can run them around corners too. Just make sure you conceal/pad/countersink the cabinet bolts so they don't scratch any jewel cases.

10. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

ARK likes this.
  11. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

We're re-doing the office with a focus on making it my media hub so I would have a place for my LPs and CDs that have been sitting in various boxes throughout the house. Picked up some Kallax and Gnedby units. It's nice to finally have all of my CDs in one centralized location, but geez, did I ever underestimate how many CDs I have. I figured 5 Gnedby units would be sufficient and probably even allow me to put a few box sets on the last one. Turns out I needed 7 Gnedbys after I had pulled together all my CDs throughout the house. :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.