CDr Lifespans

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rai dynamics, Nov 28, 2022.

1. rai dynamics

rai dynamics Member Thread Starter

Hey! I've burned a load of lossless HD audio tracks from CD rips (WAV). These were burned in 2x speed for more precise binary digits at reading. I was wondering if the speed I burned them (2x and I think 353KBits/s). Because I burned these in Microsoft waveforms audio (wave or WAV), and the burn speed was under 4x, how long would you think my CD would last. BTW the blank medias I have used are the Sony Supremas CD recordables and Verbatim CD recordables. Is there a way you could calculate all of the info I provided to find out the lifespan of my burned disc; I do handle them with extreme care and I made sure that they were MINT before burning. If you have any info THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! I know there are a lot of people smarter than me when it comes to blank media.

2. rai dynamics

shall I send a pic of the discs in the replies? I used CDburnerXP. Would disabling CD-text help with the lifespan???

3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Best practice was to match the burn speed to the disc speed, not maxing it out, but within the quoted range, in theory burning a 52x disc at 4x might create issues.

When I was still burning a lot of discs I used Japanese made Taiyo Yuhen blanks, they were bought out by JVC and Japanese made JVC were also Taiyo Yuden, I think they were then sold on and any discs made now are not Japanese made, as far as I recall I have never had a TY CD-R fail. I have used both Sony and Verbatims with success, but always avoided the Indian or Chinese made Verbatims, the Taiwanese were best.

I have CD-Rs that are nearly 25 years old and still play fine, TDKs, HHBs and a few other brands, these would have been burned in real time on pro spec Marantz CD recorders, when I started using computers I always bought good drives, Sony, Pioneer etc, as far as I recall I used Exact Audio Copy to rip discs and ImgBurn to burn discs and Korg Audio Gate for converting, compiling and burning non CD sourced music. Anything critical and important has been copied to another disc and also backed up to hard drives.

Unless you've bought a bad batch or your technique is wrong in some way I would expect your burned discs to last at least twenty years, if you are worried, buy an external hard drive and keep copies backed up, just remember to check and migrate that every few years.

4. MusicForAll

MusicForAll Forum Resident

5. BostonBob

BostonBob Paperback Writer

LA2019 likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Simple: MAM-A or MAM-E Gold Archival. Second choice would be Taiyo Yuden.

mtemur and bresna like this.
  7. bresna

bresna Senior Member

A second for MAM-A or Taiyo-Yuden.

8. mtemur

mtemur Forum Resident

When I was writing lots of cd-rs 20 years ago my choice was Taiyo-Yuden too. I tried many brands during the years like everyone else and I still play them without any problems. Verbatim, Sony, Maxell, TDK are all fine. If you handle with great care they will last at least 100 years (yellow-green ones). IMHO durability doesn’t pose a threat and you shouldn’t worry about it but achieving the best possible sound quality with cd-r is a different issue.

Regarding the sound quality Taiyo-Yuden is good but Memorex Titanium was very very good (20 years ago). It has a gold reflective surface and made by Mitsui. A better option is MAM-A, MAM-E gold cd-r which is also made by Mitsui and still available. The best option IMHO is MOFI gold cd-r with black coating and original master recording title on the back. Both are basically the same and made by Mitsui. Back or another better coating on the back improve the sound.

I managed to make almost identical sounding copies of my xrcds using MOFI gold cd-rs, EAC, properly setup internal drive (no luck with usb drives) and macbook pro.

9. rai dynamics

OMG YES! Ive heard that the TY ones are rlly good. What kind of external drive should I buy that support 1x or 2x atleast?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  10. rai dynamics

OH YEAAAHHHH it's like an A-grade they are rlly good, but everywhere I look is sold out. Do you think they have been discontinued or they've just been sold out and we auve to wait for a while?

11. rai dynamics

I was thinking that. maybe external drives would be that great. my dad has a Nero CD burner (hardware and software) which he bought about 20 or under years ago. Shall I use that? And which CD would hold the highest sound quality and lifespan so that I can pass them down.

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Nowadays just burn at the speed the disc says, no need to burn at 1x these days, it's not the 1990s.

TonyCzar, BruceS and The Pinhead like this.
  13. mtemur

mtemur Forum Resident

IME internal drives are better. MOFI or MAM-A gold will be the best choice.

14. rai dynamics

[​IMG]

TonyCzar and jonwoody like this.
  15. rai dynamics

yeh but like still I want the data correction to be precise and all of the binary digits to stay intact.

16. rai dynamics

But apparently they've stop manufacturing them and just manufacture any quality now, apparently the quality isn't the same as it was.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  17. mtemur

mtemur Forum Resident

that's very unfortunate.

18. rai dynamics

Thanks for the help tho, I just wish there were some other ones out there that are in A-grade quality that I could burn in 2x speed.

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Sony Supremas have never failed me. Burned at 4x.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Thanks for passing this on. Appreciate this!

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Brand names are just brand names now and don't mean anything anymore for CDRs. Last time I was in Microcenter, one brand of discs had spindle boxes that were made in 2-3 different countries even though the packaging was identical.

Bottom line, is that based on experience I would never rely on CDR as a back up medium. I have CDRs that are over 20 years old and a bunch of those don't work anymore. A few do still work, but nothing I want to take a chance on for the future. Luckily the important stuff was backed up a long time ago.

If you need to back up stuff you care about, I would strongly recommend getting two identical HDDs or SSDs (make one a clone of the other) and also investing in a cloud backup system.

22. Mark Shred

Mark Shred Fiery the angels fell..........

Oldest CDr I have is around 22 years old. It's a demo by Black Metal band and still plays as well as the day they sent it to me. I've never ripped Cds ( or burnt..sorry, these terms mean nothing to me). I stayed with Vinyl, Tapes and Cds and never messed around with anything else. I've heaps of CDr demo's of bands, before most switched back to Cassettes ( last cassette I was sent was last month ). All those Cdr's seem to still play no worries , though I've too many to actually sift through and check.

23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

T H I S.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. siebrand

siebrand music lover

danielbravo likes this.
  25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

My last batch of CMC didn't seem as good as previous orders. Lots of errors when burning that I very rarely ever had when I bought them in the past. Some of them won't play in the van where older ones did. Maybe I just got a bad batch or the quality control isn't there anymore. I don't know if there would be much of a difference with the JVCs as I figured both JVC and CMC are really the same thing. I need to get another batch so any knowledge would be useful.