CDs Are Dying Three Times as Fast as Vinyl Is Growing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pseudopod, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I'm a vinyl lover for certain and Cd's are still and always will be on my musical restaurants menu, thank you very much. Articles like these are made with marketing in mind, just think about it long and hard folks. Just more media manipulation. Whatever is even remotely truthful about the state of cd's from that article will almost certainly be an un-truth if you will, in due time.

2. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Make your own CDs, license any music you want, and release it your own label. There will continue to be micro plants. So far, the vast majority of CD titles are not scarce.

3. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

It depends on which country. Cd sales are dead in mine. Completely. Streaming has seen to that. Cd sales are strong in Japan.

4. zen

zen Senior Member

Maybe now....people gotta eat. However, the decline might not have happened quite so quickly if the industry had, "mastered to perfection."

klockwerk likes this.
  5. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Why don’t we just take our meals in pill form, too.

ClassicalCD, Sear and audiomixer like this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't think so. The minute people realized they could access more music than they could ever own from their phone, they'd have been over CD's.

Revolver, Grant, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  7. tineardrum

tineardrum Forum Resident

The leading cause of death is... living. Only constant seems to be change. Truthfully, now is the time to buy CDs
    , Old and new

klockwerk and bherbert like this.
  8. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

99% of people on this forum use their access to more music than could ever own from their phone (for music assessment at least), and they’re not over CD’s (and LP’s).

klockwerk likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IN A BAG or BINDER? WTF is that? thousands of CDs ripped to a HD/itunes/etc. is ultra convenience...keeping the CDs in their original cases is the norm for me.

Wombat Reynolds and bherbert like this.
  10. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

"Well, I still buy CDs!"

Yes we know. The couple hundred people on this board are still buying CDs. Your numbers are already reflected in the sales stats. There is no conspiracy happening where the data is ignoring you. CDs are dwindling away whether you want to admit or not.

Vinyl_Blues, AmosM, INSW and 2 others like this.
  11. dkmonroe

Facts are facts. CD's aren't that convenient in the 21st century. I stream very little and listen mostly to LP's and CD's but the fact remains that for most people, streaming is FAR more convenient.

12. dkmonroe

But that's not CD's at that point - it's ripped digital files. And still not as ULTRA convenient as streaming.

CBackley and bherbert like this.
  13. dkmonroe

Most people on this forum are a tiny subset of "most people."

klockwerk, forthlin, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  14. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Most people don’t drink good wine, either.

klockwerk, RSteven, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  15. dkmonroe

What does that have to do with anything? People are still trumpeting the "convenience" of CD's like it's still 1996 or something. Tech has moved on.

16. Michael

all they had to do was offer decent mastering and KILL THE BRICK WALLING! ppl would probably not have reverted back to vinyl due to frustration...

CBackley, zen, RiRiIII and 1 other person like this.
  17. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself Thread Starter

Right, and people in general don't care about music that much anyway, compared to everyone here on this board. Music is disposable to them and that is why streaming is a perfect medium for the mass public. It's not for me though.

vmajewsk, ted209, Vinyl_Blues and 8 others like this.
  18. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

They keep releasing them...and I keep buying them...
    Not dead yet....
    Let’s see..Tom Petty’s new set, New Dylan Bootleg Series. Big Brother Cheap Thrills,
    new John Hiatt.

danielbravo likes this.
  19. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

I ponder if the industry is trying to kill off CDs and then vinyl again somewheres down the road to rid themselves of mainstream physical formats? I don't really like streaming. I use YouTube every once in awhile. I used to have both Spotify & Tidal. I'd rather own what I'm listening to vs. it being on a server somewhere. As with both CDDA and Vinyl they have no form of copy protection. The Insusrry tried unsuccessfully to give the CDDA standard DRM but failed miserably. So I can see why they would try to kill certain formats off. LaserDisc also suffered the same fate which technically was the predecessor to CD.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Grant likes this.
  20. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

21. Since places like Target have decided not to carry discs, IMHO I don't think they should get to sell these Limited editions like the recent McCartney version with two bonus tracks. Let the Indie stores who actually carry CDs sell the special editions. Screw the big box stores I say!!!

22. Michael

the CD is a musical seed...you can rip it, stream, copy it, and plant the result wherever it's most convenient for ones enjoyment. Actually it has more uses than it did when it first arrived...

23. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself Thread Starter

And that's why the industry hates it!

ted209, Tadpole in a Jar and Michael like this.
  24. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

hell yeah my cd collection is growing more every week.and they sound fantastic.at least as good as my turntable but most of my cds sound better.its all to do with the dac not whats on the cd because all the information is on them.

25. Michael

well yes and no...it all started from the CD master...having thousands of ripped songs on ones phone is just as if not more convenient than a streaming service.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.