CDs Are Dying Three Times as Fast as Vinyl Is Growing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pseudopod, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I don't doubt for a second that it is an attempt to manipulate people to think - maybe I shouldn't buy that album on CD, since no one is really buying them anymore. I may not have anything to play it on in the future. Call it a conspiracy theory, and who's to say it's not. Vinyl can be quite a healthy profit, and if all the youngsters (and aging digital haters) are buying vinyl reissues because all the cool kids like those big round things (for the moment anyway), wouldn't it be easy to assume the industry would try to steer the cattle towards the format with the better profit?

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, but c'mon, you're not renting by the title, you're paying by the month for the ability to listen to more music than you could ever physically own.

MackKnife and subzro like this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just having some fun with these 1982 cd posts.

danielbravo likes this.
  5. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Michael Fremer is chuckling in his Grinch cave.

Mazzy and c-eling like this.
  6. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

CDs have never impressed me. I bought them because LPs were forced out. The bonus tracks were added so that we would all go back and buy the CD even though we already had the LP. It significantly took away from the concept of an "album" of music put together in a purposeful order in order to create a piece of art. I can't honestly argue the point of analog better than digital as I'm not the owner of elite equipment and my ears are about 60 years old. But the art work on CDs is like comparing a portrait to a postage stamp. Liner notes are usually very abbreviated. I'll take a well worn 50 year old LP over a CD reissue any day. But that is just me.

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The problem is, that to a certain extent, it is going away. They are going to reach critical mass where pressing plants are closed and the limited run of physical products are just CDR's shoved in photocopied cases. They'll be a few places making real ones, I'm sure. After all they're still pressing new SACD's. But the wide availability of catalog on real CD's will become a thing of the past except in the secondary market. Like Lp's were for years.

I've recently bought a bunch of CDs off Oldies.com. About half were CDR. Granted, they were also public domain labels. But I've heard many titles on Amazon are also CDR.

dkmonroe likes this.
  8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

When demographics and technology were going their way, the money followed.

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

I would have laughed so hard if that lady would have slipped up and dropped one of those shellac discs. I had a few of those shellac records, had being the keyword.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  10. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Funny you mention portraits. Arguably, the most famous portrait in art history, “self portrait with beret and gathered shirt” by Rembrandt, has dimensions of 15 by 12 cm. The front cover a cd case has dimensions of 14 by 12 cm by contrast.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    danielbravo likes this.
  11. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

That's me too. I buy an equal number of LP's and CDs as well as downloads and the only time I stream is with YouTube. This is so damn weird to me because when I was a teenager everybody on Earth was telling me how much better a CD was compared to my cassettes and my records and now they are telling me just the exact damn opposite! I love both of them and usually I make my decision based on price because I know both of them are going to sound good enough for me

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Well, I still love them.

13. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

I still buy a LOT of CDs and only have maybe three or four titles that came as CDRs, but those were clearly indicated at the time of sale.....so it's not that bad. At least yet.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I already own more music than I could ever physically listen to. :hide:

15. BPMC

BPMC Forum Resident

Bingo...

16. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

But I bet no one to this day knows who played bass on that Rembrandt. Because it was too dang small to list it!!!

17. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Rolling Stone is still around?

Poison_Flour and Tristero like this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Now that is elitist and I'd say no, you are more obsessed with sound than music. It just sounds a little different, that's all.
    How the f+++ dare you assume that "you" are "more obsessed" than others, simply because of the fragile, format that you choose. Jeez.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  19. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

This has been manufactured by labels. Eventually, the CD will get reintroduced, and people will buy them again.

20. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Anatomy of a contentious post: Explain the previous poster’s psychological defects to them. Refute them with curse words. Conclude with eyeroll emoji.

[And this was his less derogatory, contentious posting].

klockwerk likes this.
  21. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself Thread Starter

Remember taping off the radio?

22. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Between my iPod Classic for my "always have the best mastered versions of the music I love" aspect, and streaming for discovering new music, I do find myself buying less CDs. I still do, for albums or artists I love, because I love having the booklet and the artwork in a tangible manner.

But the world of digital and streaming is amazing. I am glad it exists

23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I'll say one more time : vinyl records is a very small market niche, and is a fad that has it's days numbered

danielbravo and jonathan like this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Why I'm buying compact discs now for new releases, probably a more limited manufacture than it's vinyl counterpart :laugh:

25. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Oh well, I'm still buying and can't wait for the Jimi Hendrix releases coming soon...

Man at C&A and Purple Jim like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.