CDs are Still Worthwhile for Musicians

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hot Ptah, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

2. Sound of the Suburbs

Sound of the Suburbs Forum Resident

For those of us that want to own our music rather than just stream it, it's certainly worth artists producing a CD. The demand is shrinking but it's still significant in the rock market...........

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My friend at the Blues Cruise says that even with a significantly older demographic, even their most popular artists are barely selling any CDs on the boat. When somebody like Taj Mahal barely sells 20 copies their most recent title, even when they're right there to sign it... it's over.

davers, alexpop, Fullbug and 6 others like this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I few weeks ago a had an engineer out to install a new TV satellite box. He glanced around my many CD laden shelves and said, "There's really no need for these any more, is there?" I felt like I'd lined my walls with 78rpm records.:)

The engineer was about 30, but I was still slightly stung that the CD has become so under valued...

At the moment every new album I buy is available on CD. There are still loads of reissues/fancy box sets etc being released on the format as well. I have nothing to worry about at present, but I'm so on board for the CD revolution... You know, when everyone chucks out their vinyl (again) and replaces them with the CD version.:D

6. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Is he being streamed much? Or is his lack of physical sales merely reflective of a lack of interest more generally?

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. I hope he did a great job otherwise I might have been tempted to ask him to leave had it been my place!

Yes, there's no need for CDs or vinyl for most people but then many don't have cars either. I have and need a car for everyday use. The same applies to my CD/BD player and turntable.

By the way, 78s are still very much needed if you want the best SQ for pre-50s music. I know, I've got several thousand of them, of which less than 5% are available to stream!

The Quiet One, fogalu, DaveJ and 8 others like this.
  8. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think it depends on volume. For a small band easier to shift 300-500 LPs than 500-1000 CDs. There's still the problem of the initial set-up costs which often encourage people to press 1000 CDs and then never sell them. It's hard to get a low run of CDs that's cost effective.

9. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

People I know and work with / for are in a position of having to choose between cd and vinyl because cashflow (impacted greatly by fan fatigue with pledge / Kickstarter type campaigns) wont always allow them to have both available on the day of release.

With some genres there is still a very strong argument for having a cd available on a new release, especially to sell off stage. Folk and Country for sure. Prog too though vinyl has probably snuck ahead of cd as its preferred merch item.

Confusingly there are also some publications that will still only review from a retail cd.

Personally I will buy vinyl with a download before I buy a cd but am perfectly happy with a cd if that is all there is. I'll buy an album download in extremis only and streaming is only really useful to me as a listening post. The idea of having a "collection" on Spotify is more or less anathema to me. There are too many genres I love where sleeve art, credits and recording dates etc really matter. This seems to be a common complaint and I wouldn't dream of switching unless they sort out some basics in terms of lyrics, credits, release dates and (with classical) managing to consistently distinguish between recording artist and a composer (!). The way Spotify is presented just screams "details don't matter". Well, they matter to me and to most people who make this stuff!

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

What if it were a USB stick or a key to a cloud service download? Would you deprive yourself purposely of music you may like just because it's not on a CD or LP?

I do understand the fetish aspect btw...I have my own blind spots in that area. But if the download is the only option (and eventually many artists will probably only offer that option) and I like the music then I guess I'm taking the download. Don't particularly care if there's no resale value.

Streaming only I haven't quite figured out yet, although there's always the analog hole.

11. mark winstanley

I'm not interested in resale value, I just like to have my music with me.
    There is so much music, that if I can't buy new releases, I'll buy second hand older music... Still plenty to catch up on ... and in reality I don't NEED any more music than I have. It's just something I enjoy.
    I am happy for others to stream, I'm not of a mindset of my way or the highway, I just don't like streaming. If I did decide at some point, ok I'll stream. It would mean completely restructuring my house and buying a whole load of new equipment and a new computer. My computer is 8 years old and in this day and age, it's out of date lol ... but it does what I need to do :)

danielbravo, RogerB, RSteven and 6 others like this.
  12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It’s so easy, when an artist only offers streaming, I stop listen to his music.

13. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

When I go to a small venue or house concert to see a talented, up-and-coming act like The Black Feathers or the Nouveaux Honkies, I buy their CD's. It's called supporting the artists. They are trying to make a living, and fans should give back.

[​IMG]
    The Black Feathers

[​IMG]
    The Nouveax Honkies

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Very anecdotal on my end, but I see similar things. I've seen a lot of posts here about the under 30 demographic and how young people are streaming only. But I see the exact same thing with friends and family...they moved to iTunes years ago and now they're moving to streaming.

My mom, just as an example here, is cleaning out some things in her house as she's prepping for a move in a few months. She's in her late 70's. The topic of CD's came up and she's planning to just donate the CD's she has since she never listens to them anymore. For her, an Echo w / Amazon Prime is all she needs now.

Maybe call her "Modern Grandma"? :)

maui jim, PHILLYQ and LuciferSam341 like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I hope he's never called to your home... Lord knows what he'd say when he saw your 20k CD player.:D

He was a nice guy, and meant no harm. What it put me in mind of was that if I'd have been his age and seem someone's shelves piled with 78s, I'd have probably reacted exactly the same as him.:)

The world is moving fast. I don't understand streaming and have never heard an explanation from anyone that's convinced me they do either! I hear things like Miley Cyrus having a single that's been streamed 80m times, yet isn't on the charts and thus is considered a flop. So streaming isn't about sales... Does it just equate to bands of my youth like Slade being played millions of times on the radio? Except they had big record sales as well?

I'm going for a lie down.:D

Jayseph, Jimmy Agates, JDeanB and 7 others like this.
  16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

This has to be the silliest thing I've read so far, this morning.

Do you have a switch in your brain to turn off music you like, if it isn't in a format that's acceptable to you?

PATB, ausgraeme, Big Blue and 11 others like this.
  17. Never mind the CD player, he'd have fainted if he'd seen my antique gramophones all working and probably sounding considerably better than anything he's ever streamed.

jaxpads, fogalu, Mr.La Page and 3 others like this.
  18. mark winstanley

It's bizarre.
    I'm not even sure if the 80m streams really count for much as most of the young people I know don't even listen to full songs ... Half the time before a song is finished they have moved on to another

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I don't think you need to restructure your house to support streaming, and btw my main PC is going to be ten years old this year. I run Tidal on it, works just fine. Streaming is just a transport, there's no reason it couldn't fit into an existing stereo system.

But your comment on not needing new music is certainly valid, and I have seen that comment from others before. I certainly don't "need" new music be it new / new to me as I have plenty already. But it's a want and I enjoy it - no idea why that is. So if a day comes many years from now where I can only get my new music fix from streaming and I want to keep that music long-term, I'll find a way to do it.

20. mark winstanley

My computer is in the dining area with an old uncomfortable dining chair. My music area in in the living room, with my music ... I would honestly have to restructure my house ... not rebuild, but restructure. Due to the stuff I have, my computer wouldn't fit in the living room.
    I guess it would be like when folks suddenly needed the tv to be the main focus of the living room, it meant restructuring the house to some degree .... and nobody ever spoke again lol (well except to ask what is happening, or what just happened :) )

LuciferSam341 likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Very true, but if they have an LP to sell (with a digital code) they'll do even better these days.

Ludger, LuciferSam341 and MitchLT like this.
  22. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

Maybe he doesn't value music as much as you do. I think it's also considered cool to show how up to date you are with streaming and all that, and to display disdain for any technology more than five years old.

We had streaming back in 1950 only we called it radio then. But I always wanted my own records (and later my own CDs) in my own room in my own house. It's nice to hear (and look at) my own personal choices, to pick them out and handle them - and not to go tapping out what I want on an iPhone and trusting to my broadband and wi-fi to connect me to ….. what exactly?
    A soulless cloud or a bank of computers or whatever? Nah!

(I really must calm down! I know - I'll pick out a nice CD!) ;)

Spot778, Jazzmonkie, JDeanB and 7 others like this.
  23. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Fans that aren't spending thousands on cruises still buy CDs at shows.

24. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Notwithstanding the folks here, I wonder how many music fans actually have turntable rigs. I don't. Most people still have the capacity to play a CD, even if it is just in their car.

JDeanB and Papi Hipbone323 like this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You don't need to drop a desktop PC in there - honestly, you could spend $25 on an Amazon Echo and I believe it has a line-out that could connect right up to your stereo. It's the size of a hockey puck.

Would require Wifi of course but I assume you that already. If not...well then a Wifi router would also be needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.