CD's Gone By 2020?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fannymac, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It's stating the obvious for you, but your earlier post has nothing to do with the OP and several people in this thread. The whole premise is a concern for new releases. If you don't care about new releases to begin with then it's essentially off-topic.

As for this new reply...not sure what B&N has to do with anything here either. One can go to Amazon right now, buy a few new release CD's (and I don't mean audiophile reissues) and assuming they are Prime members they'll show up tomorrow. They might even show up late today.

My local B&N is not the place where I'd be going to look for new release purchases, except perhaps their online store.

2. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

hoarding for the 2045 renaissance

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

See my above comments to @Dillydipper.

Believe it or not, some people actually look forward to new releases that aren't reissues from 40 years ago.

ARK, neruda and jay.dee like this.
  4. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

you just press play on your Spotify, its loads easier.

ARK, JL6161 and coffeetime like this.
  5. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

I can see a scenario like this: Big companies killing CDs ---> prizes of streaming going way up ---> people switching to CDs again ---> Big companies reviving CDs but with much higher prizes

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Revenue is not net income. Cost doesn't factor into the revenue number.

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Just wanted to point out that CDs still sell way more units than vinyl, even in 2019.
    CDs even bring in more money from sales, which is impressive when you consider vinyl records are about double the price per unit. So as long as CDs sell more units (more than even downloads now), I don't see them being gone too soon. When they do sell less than vinyl, then yeah, sure.

mcwlod likes this.
  8. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Or you'd have to be savvy enough to want to own the music, so when the provider stops streaming it you still have the music available.... :cool:

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Goodbye old friend

ARK and mark winstanley like this.
  10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I don't do Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. I've also never have and never will use Uber.
    Yet I still managed to find out that Sunn O))) was releasing an album and was easily able to pre-order it.
    For some reason the same didn't happen for Hillary Hahn's release.

Being a contemporary composer makes me even more interested in the release.

Guy from Ohio likes this.
  11. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I will listen to contemporary music but the couple pieces she has posted I've not liked.

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I'm sure someone has probably already pointed this out, but.....

They still make LPs, which is a format that is over 70 years old. :magoo:

Vinyl_Blues and Takehaniyasubiko like this.
  14. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

But I would guess that just because it is a contemporary classical composer this was considered niche and did not get a CD release, unlike her previous Bach release and despite her popularity as a performer.

15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

... sells less than cd's, but costs more...
    If cd's are scrapped before vinyl, we'll know the agenda quite clearly

Takehaniyasubiko likes this.
  16. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Considering that I also enjoy Sunn O))), I may not have great taste or discrimination in music. :D
    So contemporary classical is good for me.

17. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Here we go, another CD Armageddon thread. What a joke. People are being strong-armed by the majors towards streaming and it's sad when people think they just need to give in and join the bandwagon even if they do not want to. Everyone comments about CD players not in cars or home players not available soon. First, some cars still offer CD players as an add on. And if not you can still use an external drive. I think their general removal was premature and by the design of big business (yes, a conspiracy theory) because there will always be a decent sized group of people not interested in streaming. Also, people seem to forget that DVD/BluRay and game systems often play CD, and there's still players, portable or otherwise, being produced. So for those jumping ship out of fear because of the endless ridiculous people in threads like this who like to slag off the format or claim you have to "get with it and stream or go vinyl", grow a pair and stick to the format you like. For me, it will never be a stream that I have no control over how it sounds, or even a piece of vinyl with all of the surface noises and limitations. Of the very few new releases by newer artists I buy, they still offer a CD option, even if it is a boring digipak with no booklet. So for anyone chewing their nails thinking they have to move to streaming or be screwed, just continue with the format you prefer. None of them are going to be "gone" in a year or two, or five. Some titles may not come out on CD. Their loss. And when the renaissance happens similar to vinyl over the last decade, you can then expect the never-before-on-CD titles to come out. And before all of you come out with your excuses why you don't foresee a CD return down the road similar to vinyl, time will tell. Everyone thought vinyl was a space wasting joke in the early 90's. And here we are...

Sajomo, laf848, ShawnMcCann and 8 others like this.
  18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, we have.
    However, the reason why there are concerns by some is probably because there’s awareness how the Music Labels are a business, and to stay profitable they must make decisions based upon a cost revenue basis.
    (As I previously mentioned before.)

As some point, that bottomline dollar profit for Quarterly Earnings on CDs will dip under the theoretical line drawn on the white board in a finance meeting.
    Votes will be cast, Yea or Nay.

How soon will this scenario occur?

ARK likes this.
  19. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

The reports of CD death are greatly exaggerated. It's been already for a half of decade that some titles were vinyl, cassette or download exclusives, but frankly speaking 99% of the stuff I wanted to acquire had a CD format release. I don't expect any significant changes over the next decade on my preferred music territory.

I suppose that more and more mass pop releases may be unavailable in any widely distributed physical form. However, that's the nature of pop; most of it is consumed on-the-fly as a single, bound to be quickly forgotten and replaced and by next chart-topper. And if it stands the test of time, it'll surely get a commemorative physical release too.

laf848 and Tristero like this.
  20. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

And suddenly, I feel old. Very....very....old.

Exotiki likes this.
  21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Music labels are no longer driving these decisions. The deciding factors are devices and data. Tech goliaths have taken control by driving consumer behavior toward services rather than products for financial and legal reasons that benefit them. Consumers and artists not so much.

robcar and lightbulb like this.
  22. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Let me help with that, in back to the future. We are further from 1985 then Marty was when he was in 1955

23. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Absolutely.

This is what has happened:
    1980’s: Big companies killing Vinyl ---> 1980’s: Prices of CDs going way up ---> 2010’s: people switching to Vinyl again ---> 2010’s: Big companies reviving Vinyl but with much higher Prices

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

billnunan, AlanDistro and Nice Marmot like this.
  25. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Let's keep calm and support indie davids! :D

[​IMG]

Tristero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.