CD's Gone By 2020?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fannymac, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

The sooner CDs die, the sooner the end of speaking about them being dead.

Sean, MarkusGermany, ARK and 3 others like this.
  2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Anyone ever compared the costs of a CD run versus a Cloud hosting and download platform solution? I bet you the cd run is cheaper on a long term.

3. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Oh, also Deathbomb Arc seems to be winding down a bit on the CDs, with more focus towards cassette and vinyl...

4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Cassette is the new hype but I don’t get it!

Martinev2, Texastoyz, ARK and 2 others like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's cool...I love analog but dislike the anomalies of records..

ARK and SoundDoctor like this.
  6. Michael

thanks...

7. SoundDoctor

I don't get it much either but it's great that people still buy it so that it at least exists!

ARK and lightbulb like this.
  8. Michael

LOL. I get ya...

9. Michael

yup...works for you-works for me. ; )

10. Michael

? OK...

11. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

2020? Hell, they'll be gone by next Tuesday.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Like vinyl, it's getting harder and harder to get CDs pressed, or to have a quick turnover rate. It's just cheaper to offer downloads and streaming. I am comfortable with downloading albums, but I sure miss liner notes.

Best to quit fighting it and invest in a couple of hard drives or SSDs and start ripping and downloading.

I haven't used a proper CD player in years. I could fix the one I have now but I just don't care. I rip all of my CDs as soon as I buy 'em.

coffeetime and blair207 like this.
  13. Michael

of course, but RARE...I've read bitching from new vinyl buyers about surface noise, warped records, poor quality vinyl, etc...vinyl has it's problems which can ruin the LP listening experience along with the high price adding insult to injury...at one time I had over 10,000 albums, 45's...

14. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Cassette? Really? So it's 2019 and CDs should die but some folks are buying cassettes :laugh:

Martinev2, Texastoyz, Bevok and 6 others like this.
  15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

True for most Music, but I took Michael's Post for meaning to be able to play copies of Albums Mastered by Our Host or KG or other Audiophile Recordings in the Car. I do a lot my Music listening while driving(well except hours when Jim Rome and Dan Patrick Sports Radio Shows are on when I am driving but of course with Jim Rome, I get to hear 'Lust for Life', Welcome to the Jungle, some Song by the Boomtown Rats and occasionally an Older MUSE Song-think 'Hysteria').

16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I don't believe it, but even if it is true there are literally billions of discs already in circulation. Discs i would probably rather own anyway. So I'm not worried.

But this sounds more like a goal than an actual fact to me. Kinda like all video games were going to be digital downloads only. Except - nope. That didn't happen either despite publishers desperately wanting it to be the case. As always, the market decided. A lot of people still demanded hardcopies. Or at least - enough people to make a difference.

steelinYaThighs, Sean, Purple and 2 others like this.
  17. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Well they knew how to price CDs back in the 80s also. Higher prices indicate consumer demand and falling prices the opposite.

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

For the same reason you can go into a Barnes & Noble in 2019 and see LP's from the 1970's for sale, and people who voluminous selections from their own current comfort zones and think they have no need for another album ever if it's from musicians they don't like, prefer to rise the points that, they don't care what the music industry wants to do...it's what the music industry's customers want, that changes their trajectories.

It's my way of stating the obvious, without having to try and be obvious about it...unless it sails over somebody's heads who's not paying attention to nuanced arguments...:shh:

Sean and phillyal1 like this.
  19. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

NO.

Seriously, I’ve been hearing this since about 1998 that cds are finished. I’ve been hearing the same thing about Vinyl my entire life.

ispace, Sean, Purple and 5 others like this.
  20. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

That's not happening to me when it comes to games. Same thing with CD's, if the stuff was significantly less when it comes to price digitally, i wouldn't mind buying it.

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Dude, I'm in radio...I've got boxes of cassettes...problem is, thousands of them are airchecks. I do have maybe 300 mixtapes though, carefully sequenced (and in many cases, segued after-hours in production studios), that will love to go for a ride if I ever get my 1970 Mercury Comet still rusting at my dad's summer house, out of mothballs and ready to slip something into the Clarion deck...;)

22. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

If you only listen to music at home sure, cds would be cheaper in the long run.

23. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Sean, Xelfo and Mr Mojo Risin like this.
  24. SoundDoctor

Yep. Apparently it's "hipster" now. But not surprised that Deathbomb Arc is doing it considering the main age group of their customers.

25. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

if only there was a way to take my CDs on the go. A way to, perhaps, rip them to a digital file for easy access wherever I go. And without the need for internet access. :idea:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.