CD's Gone By 2020?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fannymac, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Can’t see CDs being gone. Especially in a year’s time.:)

While I admit the format doesn’t have the power it used to, most new albums are still being put out on CD and there are loads of reissues around and upcoming.

laf848, Purple, ARK and 3 others like this.
  2. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

There are already what I would consider very important releases not coming out on CD. LCD Soundsystem Electric Lady Sessions and Nirvana Live at The Paramount are vinyl or download only. These are releases I would have purchased on CD.

3. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

If you can buy and download the CD and artwork then I could either burn it or store it on a HD
    AS LONG AS IT IS LOSSLESS AUDIO

4. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

When I was going through my divorce I tried to sell the 100s of cassette tapes. I tried even at 1 dollar. I couldn't even give them away. In the end out of desperation I threw out over 400 tapes dating back from the early 1970s

royzak2000 and sound chaser like this.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think you might do better today, especially if rare. Timing is everything, but rarer items tend to sell whatever the market.

6. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

There really is no way of knowing when or if CDs will go away. So long as I can get a lossless download I won't complain.

ScottRiqui, Starwanderer and Grant like this.
  7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I can't see 2020 being much different than 2019

CD's will always be there in some form, even if it isn't the popular format. Most releases by well known artists will have a CD counterpart for sure

SoundDoctor likes this.
  8. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I'm in a tape collector group on FB and people there regularly pay 3-10 dollars for tapes that aren't even rare.

9. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

If we're on track for 50-60 million new CD sales in the US this year, it would be weird for them to disappear next year. I'm pretty sure new tape sales dwindled to much lower levels before labels stopped pressing them.

ARK and SoundDoctor like this.
  10. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

... oh, so it is 2020 they'll be gone this time, when it's gone be when it's 2021?

11. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I just bought 2 CD releases, one independent from Bandcamp. The other was Doug Paisley’s most recent album. I’m not giving up on them yet.

Purple, sound chaser and lc1995 like this.
  12. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Man, I still got around 200 tapes in the basement.
    200 x 5$ = 1000 $ !!!

I will spend it on new CDs in 2020 :D

DrAftershave, Purple, ARK and 2 others like this.
  13. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

It is definitely not going to be the case with classical any time soon. The conversion rate among classical fans who are cd buyers going back to vinyl or forward to streaming and downloads is very small. Cd is going to survive in that genre for the foreseeable and it is certainly my preferred format for new classical releases.

Numbers are never big so it is not like classical ever enjoyed economies of scale on the manufacturing side. Of course they also don't have mechanical royalty costs on the majority of repertoire that they sell. Plus a lot of classical artist deals were either buy-outs OR the royalty is very small as there was no recouping of recording costs. Those were eaten by the label years ago. So that makes it easier for labels to stay in the physical product business too. The unit costs on catalogue are tiny, basically just the manufacturing, warehousing, distribution and a very small amount of marketing.

It might be more true of pop / rock. Unless there is some very superior packaging or non cd bonus content I can see why only the hard core music buyers would be clinging on.

When it comes to non- classical genres I could live with buying vinyl at a premium (double the price of a cd or d/l is where I start to think twice) as long there is a d/l code for portability. That said I am reliably told that the pick-up rate for d/l codes is on average closer to 20% than 50%. So not sure how long they are going to keep spending the money to offer them. On some releases the codes run out faster then you might imagine. The codes on some recent vinyl Bowie releases have already expired.

Not at all interested in a streaming-only experience or going streaming + vniyl. For me streaming is a listening post via which I can audition new releases not a main source.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    royzak2000, Purple, anorak2 and 2 others like this.
  14. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

I don't doubt the current shrinking trend, but it costs companies like Qobuz little to offer download sales alongside streaming. Downloads don't need mastering, manufacturing and distributing separately from streaming like physical media.

We can't predict the future, but as long as Qobuz are getting some income from these sales, they will be reluctant to stop making this offer. Therefore, downloading may have a long drawn out end phase to its lifecycle.

ARK likes this.
  15. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Any artist who goes download only won't be getting my money. Anyway I think CD's will be around for a long time yet.

MultiMan, Purple, Xelfo and 1 other person like this.
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

This whole thread is based on the opinion of some stranger's opinion.

ARK, SoundDoctor, Deek57 and 2 others like this.
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Imagine if we had the internet in the early 90s when the vinyl format was in decline.

eric777 likes this.
  18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

As long as hipsters don’t go extinct, they’ll eventually be a CD revival. They’ll eventually run out of other options.

SoundDoctor, andrewskyDE and lc1995 like this.
  19. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

The thing is,, CDs have been the norm or close to the norm for such a large chunk of many of our lives, that they lack the "intentionally anachronistic" quality that LPs and cassettes have. Though, I don't really think cassettes are that big, there are only a few dozen major new releases/reissues available on cassette from the last few years. Quite a few from indie acts, but those still don't make up a large amount of sales.

coffeetime likes this.
  20. siebrand

siebrand music lover

well, every now and then something like that comes out
    the CD will remain only for audiophiles, the CD is dead, there will be no more new CDs...

Now ... it's all understandable, the record companies would like to sell us files, so that people buy something without owning it, a kind of user license.
    as if it were MS Word, or Autocad, or any APP.

I ... I don't believe it ... maybe in the future, not even too far, CDs will no longer be produced.
    It may be ... but not in 2020 ... I think at least 15 years later, when I will be 75 years old.

I will buy, then, only music produced in previous years.

Not bad at the end. I don't care about today's RAP, the RAP of the future even less, I assume ..:rolleyes:

21. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Does anyone have a rough
    idea of just how many CDs

exist worldwide? Are these
    all going to somehow magic-
    ally vanish all of a sudden ?

:p

If the major labels (which represent a
    mere five percent of my CD collection)
    stop issuing music on CD, I won't even
    notice it, in all likelihood. Sony, for one,
    lost my business already with their past
    malicious business practices so they can
    take their music and toss it up their
    cavernous portae for all I care.

The companies that handle the music
    I care
    about are most likely to step in and
    happily take over Sony's abandoned market
    share. In fact, they have already started
    doing
    just that. Actually though, Sony reported
    just months ago that the company has no
    plans to abandon CDs entirely ~ so for those

will continue to suckle the behemoth, your
    money is still good.

Mbd77 likes this.
  22. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I bought a brand new BMW X1 in April and I had the option to fit a CD player in it, which I took.

ARK, Deek57 and lc1995 like this.
  23. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Then I won't buy them, it's simple as that. :0

24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Yup, a few years or so ago I also took over 400 cass tapes to the local tip/dump. Couldn't be bothered trying to sell them, even asking anyone if they wanted them.

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The WWW has been around since the early 90s. The internet was much earlier.

ScottRiqui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.