CDs no longer online for Best Buy

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ironbutterfly, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I try not to use credit cards, so I call my local Barnes And Noble and have my CD's shipped there.
    I do not pay for shipping but they tend to charge an extra dollar per issue over Amazon.
    Not a big deal since I am lucky if I can find a half-dozen CD's to buy a year.
    Kind of hard to buy CD's when you already have everything you want.

2. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

On the surface that sounds almost inexplicable ~ perhaps less so when one considers that NYC is, in many cultural and economic ways, unlike other major cities. Still though, without ever having been to NYC it can be easy to miss certain factors as to why it would be so dissimilar from Detroit in this way.

3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

They never had squat online anyway. As is the case with their stores nowadays.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Grab piece of paper.

Sit to write down the CD's I'd bought from Best Buy online.

Writers block.

melstapler likes this.
  5. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I stopped in a Best Buy recently for a geek squad visit. But I took a walk around to eyeball the place through my Amazon-juandiced eye.

There really isn't anything going on there, retail-wise, where a store visit is a value-add experience. Nearly everything can be bought online, and the very young, not-so-knowledgable sales staff wasn't making things any better. Seems to me if the store only was geek squad and high-end audio, and nothing else, they would probaby have the same profit.

wayneklein likes this.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I've bought a few online from them. Sad to see it go. RIP.

7. I think that they may have been at one time along with video for a lot of their customers but CDs like DVD and Blu-ray were the honey to get people to come in and then wow them with the new, more expensive stuff they needed.

The online store, on the other hand, is a different beast. It operates with a lower overhead and can sell items that they don't stock in the store. Vinyl, CD, Blu-ray all appeal to me but given that they could have made that one extra sale or have that one extra visit to their store online where I might see something else, will hurt them at least with me and some others. I have no doubt in the bigger picture, the person that made this decision probably streams themselves and just can't see the woods for the trees. The bad thing is that this is one less major online retailer that you could use and could cause price drops. For example, the forthcoming Bowie box hasn't budged on its price but when Best Buy was selling it and other retailers, it caused Amazon to drop their price as well.

Crimson Witch and Odysseus like this.
  8. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Excellent, factual points here.

I used to shop my music almost exclusively at Best Buy due to their lower prices and incredible selection. That and I didn’t feel like I was being judged for my purchases when I bought music at Best Buy like I almost always did when buying something at a record shop. Record store employees did make a few judging comments from time to time that made the whole ‘record store experience’ seem completely crazy to me.

For me, the ‘Best Buy Experience’ was always far superior than the ‘Record Store Experience’ ever was.

Also I recall seeing The Smashing Pumpkins double album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness CD for less at Best Buy than I found the double cassette at my local record store. I seem to recall the double CD at Best Buy was around $19.99 brand new (Best Buy never had a used section) while I saw the double cassette at a local record store for $22.99, also brand new.

9. As others have noted, they are streamed often times and there are often digital downloads for traveling. I rarely used my CDs in the car (unless I didn't have time to update something) and consider them archived for outside of home use. I suppose the point is that we are being given less choice and that's never a good thing. This whole thing is symptomatic of an industry that is trying to adjust to online sales for just about everything but the big ticket items are more likely to be purchased (not always mind you) in person.

10. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Best Buy hasn't stocked physical media themselves in their warehouses for years. Alliance Media Distribution handles the distribution for them and several other companies. 3rd party companies actually come in to stock and display the new releases each week at BB. Former employee.

BB only really cares about the money making products, like Geek Squad protection and services, Monster cables and other high margin accessories!

klockwerk and PhantomStranger like this.
  11. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

I worked in the CD dept in the late 90s/2000. Back then, new releases would come direct from the distributors but catalog titles came in via "geo-shuttles" (big plastic yellow bins) from the regional warehouse. I was the dude who got there at 5:30 am and stocked the shelves and endcaps. With my employee discount, prices ranged from $5-9 per CD. Good times.

12. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Unfortunately, the real estate that many of the larger stores in NYC occupied became too valuable. In most of the cases, the landlords could get higher rent from other tenants. Combine that with the fact that physical media showed a decline in sales, and that made New York City a paractical "no-go zone" for any music and movie store of a substantial size. SAD !

klockwerk and Crimson Witch like this.
  13. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

That was not a bad business model... if they didn't take a loss on CDs at the time.

Often would buy something and grab the latest CD.

Never stumbled in there and bought the CD and then a dishwasher.

14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I did. Over the years I bought an oven, washer and dryer and a big screen TV along with several CD players, speakers and several receivers from them because I was always in their store hunting for media. Ever since they started pulling back on their media stock a number of years ago I stopped my weekly visits to check out the latest CDs and DVDs. Since then I bought two TVs, a dishwasher, a new oven, 2 Blu-ray players and a refrigerator, none from Best Buy. Out of sight out of mind. I didn’t purposely choose to ignore BB, they were simply off my radar. I’m not a business guy and I can’t speak for the masses but I know my own major purchases have dropped to nothing there because of their loss of interest in supporting optical media.

15. doppelganger

doppelganger Forum Resident

for CDs to have their revival, they need to be well and truly dead first. So if we could just agree on that already...? The CD is dead. Long live the CD! Will probably take until 2030 though to become unpopular enough to be popular again.

16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

No. We cannot agree on that because its not true.

Cds are in a slow decline, not dead.

17. :wtf:

18. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I know, I know

19. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

But if I said it is dead I would be lying. I still find everything I'm looking for on CD, new and old, which wasn't the case for vinyl back in the day.

I already own 99% of the music I'll ever need to hear again so whatever happens, happens and if the revival is in 2030 I'll only be 60. :D

20. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

There was a time when Best Buy had a fairly expansive selection of cd's. I wonder how many small, music-lover owned record stores they put out of business. It's the way of the world. No buggy whip shops around, either.

21. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

:wantsome:

doppelganger likes this.
  22. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I bought Veedon Fleece on cd there once. Back in 1997. That is sort of hard to find right now.
    I was quite a frequent cd shopper there over the years...so I will miss that experience.

At least they stocked the Zappa re-issues back in 2012, which was sort of unusual if you think about it.
    I bought several of the McCartney cd re-issues also. And Trouble No More by Dylan.
    They had a lot of the Floyd re-issues too.

I have been buying some vinyl there recently but I will miss that trip to Best Buy on Friday (used to be Tuesday) for that new cd release I was wanting to get.

I have been buying albums since 1976 and Best Buy still gave me that record store feeling. I lived too far from Tower Records. I wasn't to waste hours on the 91 Freeway when the BB was three miles from my house.

23. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I went
    I went to five stores that carry childrens shoes looking for a boys size 6 that didn't look like girls shoes.Came home empty.Rethinking these brick and mortar retail stores for online just like I've done with audio.

24. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

25. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Best Buy went from having a great CD selection (10+ years ago), to mostly stocking the latest top 40 mainstream titles which can be found in the music sections at other retail chains such as Walmart and Target. Think the last CD I purchased at Best Buy was the bonus track Keith Richards "Crosseyed Heart" from a few years ago. Best Buy not selling CDs isn't a huge loss and their current toy department is awful as well.

Matthew Tate, klockwerk and Thievius like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.