CDs over LP/records assessment - a must watch for experts and beginners

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raimiz1991inc, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great advice. Two of my brothers decided to buy a turntable and getting into the whole record collecting. One brother lives in NY with his wife and it's really very accessible for him to buy records. They sometimes sell them from crates on the street for very cheap and he buys those. My other brother is in college and with a relatively tight budget but still decided to setup his turntable. They both bought the same turntable which is the Audio Technica AT-LP60BK Fully Automatic Belt Drive Stereo Turntable (which I think is good record player from what I read) but don't know which speakers really.
    My point is they're both casual listeners and don't have a huge setup or anything but still they go back to records after growing up with CDs and digital file. One of my brothers said he did it for the nostalgic quality and the artwork and presentation but in the end he prefer CDs and streaming because they are way more comfortable formats for him and he hears a slightly better sound quality (I suppose he is not a fan of the clicks and pops and/or the records he buys are dusty or dirty). My other brother loves records because he feels a smoother sound to it, still streams music on Spotify, but has completely ditched CDs. They are both casual listeners and not huge record collectors (like I collect CDs), but they both have different reasons for doing so and tend to enjoy it.

2. raimiz1991inc

It's impossible, no store sells them. I went to Chile last month for the Phil Collins concert and saw the Audio Technica AT-LP60BK Fully Automatic Belt Drive Stereo Turntable for around 170 bucks and my gf was already wondering if we should buy that one already and take it home. I told her it was way overpriced and if they sold that in Bolivia I wouldn't be surprised that it went for over 200 dollars.

3. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

The way that X-rays and radio waves add a warmth to the colors I see?

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Have you watched the joke video? I know it’s no joke but his videos are.

Grant likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

6. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

If I was starting from scratch, right now, I'd really have to think about what I wanted and why and create a game plan. Maybe I would focus on Jazz only, or maybe I would hit the high points of Rock, knowing that it won't be cheap. You've got to buy a TT worthy of the records it'll spin. I have always thought that if I hadn't kept my LP's I wouldn't miss them, I would just move ahead without them because of the hassle. But since I do still have them all I regard them as part of my personal history and I don't think I can part with them. All I do now is fill holes in the collection - like I'm working on my solo George Harrison, Peter Green Fleetwood Mac, Peter Gabriel era Genesis. I find this to be fun, I don't worry about reissues, I'm happy with my 70's era Led Zeppelin LP's.

Anyway... the only advice I can give is to have fun doing it. If it's not fun don't do it. There are other ways to listen to music.

Radio and raimiz1991inc like this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No silly! It's about filtering at higher frequencies.

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  8. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

:laughup:
    Okay, so we are going to give the Original Poster, raimiz1991inc, 100% credit for choosing "Close To The Edge".
    But we are going to subtract 50% of that for liking Phil Collins.
    But we are going to reimburse him 35% for having a girlfriend.
    And if the OP admits that CD's are better than LP's we will give him another 15%.
    And then he will be back to 100% again.

(this message brought to you by the CD's are Better! fan club)

jtw and raimiz1991inc like this.
  9. raimiz1991inc

You bring up a very good point and something I've been wondering for a while. Is there a reason to buy remastered records? Wouldn't you in that case buy the remastered CD and go for original pressings in regards to records?

10. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I took a quick internet scan of retail stores in La Paz. It might make sense to visit a couple of places that supply DJs, and see if you could come up with a decent older Technics or other older Direct Drive that hasn't been abused (or has been restored). If you work with the right supplier, though they may not be of an "audiophile" bent, you'll get the basic turntable, arm and can get some help here on cartridge and phono stage options. That way, you aren't buying entry level stuff at higher prices, given import tariffs, etc. And you may find somebody that knows their stuff and can help you on set up, etc.
    Good luck.

Radio, lightbulb and raimiz1991inc like this.
  11. raimiz1991inc

:biglaugh:I am really happy with CDs, but I can't say that because I haven't listened to vinyl officially, sitting down and taking it all in. I'll take your 85% credit approval and take a raincheck in regards with my verdict.

That really kind of you, it sounds doable and afraid to get it wrong and definitely would need help but it's worth a shot really. Thanks so much.

lightbulb likes this.
  12. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

There is a whole industry that remasters this stuff - sometimes good, sometimes bad - and a whole enclave of people that buy it up. For me, not every Zeppelin album I own is a original US release but they were all bought in the 70's as I discovered the band. They are MY Zeppelin albums. When LP's were fazed out I started buying CD's, and those too are very dear to me. Never understood some people's hatred of the digital format. Even with the thousands of LP's in the house I am quite certain that the best sounding thing I own is a CD.

The trick is collecting the good stuff that flies under the radar. Instead of wanting that original US Led Zeppelin II and paying 120.00 dollars for it why not buy the entire Robin Trower catalogue for 120.00 dollars.

When you are ready for a TT and need some advice this is the place to go: Turntables

13. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Given that you will inevitably have to obtain the vast majority of any collection by buying online, I strongly advise you to forget all about the merits of vinyl and satisfy yourself with CDs (or even downloads). It’s a toss up whether the pursuit of vinyl will annihilate your solvency or your sanity first.

jtw, raimiz1991inc and uzn007 like this.
  14. raimiz1991inc

Thank you very much for the link. Interesting to know that CDs work very well for you and both formats are very dear to you, I'd love to get a chance to check out Physical Graffiti on record some day. My question was along the lines of this: LZ released box sets of their catalog that include newly remastered CDs and LPs. In this case, isn't it better to go for the standalone newly remastered CD and get the original LP released in the 70s and skip the newley remastered LP because it would sound too close to the newley remastered CD? Or do remasters also benefit from the LP format?

Thanks

15. raimiz1991inc

That's the first time someone gave me that advice and I highly appreciate it because it is actually an idea that floats around my head for a while whenever I feel ready to take the plunge into record collecting. Good to know I'm not the only one, much appreciated.

16. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Different people have different opinions. For me, if a recording has gone through the digital domain (e.g. remastering), I'd just as soon buy it on CD. Most of my LP purchases are used albums from the 70s and early 80s and I tend to go for stuff I can buy cheap.

raimiz1991inc and Grant like this.
  17. California Couple

It is not a hard choice.

with one format you get

snap

crackle

pop

warp

hiss

skip

with the other format you don’t get

snap

crackle

pop

warp

hiss

skip

in fact you get no noise at all

and you get great dynamics

that you can play anywhere

just try to play an LP while your driving, or biking, or hiking, or flying or skiing or drinking on the beach

raimiz1991inc likes this.
  18. Grant

Yeah! I knew it was a joke video the minute he started in with the silica jell and didn't take much precaution with the label area.

Synthfreek likes this.
  19. Grant

Here's the thing, though: You don't always get the snap, crackle and pop when playing vinyl, or you shouldn't. And, surface noise greatly depends on the quality and cleanliness if the record, and your turntable/cart. However, it is a lot of hassle to go through when you can just push or click a button and have it there in pristine sound. But, both digital and vinyl can have compromised dynamics, and both have their own types of noise.

Again, there is no clear winner, only preference. Remember that 70s song "To Each His Own"? "I don't know what is right for you, and you don't know what is right for me. Do your thing!"

raimiz1991inc likes this.
  20. raimiz1991inc

That's what I thought, in any case I would limit my purchases to old records and avoid reissues when possible. Thanks!

21. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

So true:thumbsup:

22. California Couple

Only a matter of time. Each time you play an LP it degrades it.
    I have had CD's for 33 years and never had a problem.
    Of course I don't drive around with them hanging on my visor blocking out the sun like some of these yo yo's do.

23. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Good lord, learn how to take care of your records.

You are right about one thing though, CD's certainly are good for driving, or biking, or hiking, or flying or skiing or drinking on the beach.
    ;)

Grant likes this.
  24. Grant

Not really. I have records back from the 60s that play clean.

spencer1, Metalrob and 131east23 like this.
  25. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

take a well preserved Phil Collins record from one item, $2
    a well preserved sleeve from another and merge them. $2
    If the inner sleeve contains lyrics or graphics maybe from a third, $2
    4...or give it a new blank inner sleeve
    otherwise .50
    5...And of course clean the record with one of the tested methods. $3 cleaning fee

“This would create a new record/sleeve ensemble with the best quality achievable for both today, and it would also justify an elevated price because the dealer would have additional costs to do all that.”

$2 LP + $2 LP + $2 LP + .50 + $3 cleaning fee
    = $9.50 Restored Phil Collins Record

raimiz1991inc and anorak2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.