CDs that were huge, but you don't see them at thrift stores that often

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grand_Ennui, Oct 8, 2019.

1. LRP99

LRP99 Forum Resident

This thread has been a very interesting read because I’ve been music thrifting semi-regularly for almost three years now. My musical knowledge has expanded a lot since then (from almost nothing), so I can't tell you for sure which mega-popular CD’s I haven’t seen at all.

However there is one big exception, and that’s Michael Jackson’s Dangerous. I can say with almost 100% certainty that I have yet to see a single copy in the bins, despite it being a multi-platinum seller during the CD era. I do see it at record stores, but this thread is specifically referring to thrifts. Not that this is a particularly good album either, but I also haven’t seen Invincible yet anywhere, not even the record stores.

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've seen Dangerous a few times, but it's nowhere near as common as what you'd expect a CD that sold that many copies to be. Either that or I just don't notice it.

LRP99 likes this.
  3. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

never see any CDs from Sundazed in the thrifts

Lewisboogie and Mylene like this.
  4. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

As far as genres of music goes, bluegrass music doesn't go to the thrifts very often, if at all. You can say the same thing about other genres, such as reggae. People who are into this type music generally keep them with the exception of selling all their collection or if someone passes away the stuff that doesn't sell at an estate sale winds up in the thrifts. I've been in a fair amount of used music stores in my day and I don't know of any store that turns down these two genres for store stock. JMHO, of course.

phillyal1, Man at C&A and LRP99 like this.
  5. R79

R79 Forum Resident

Rap cds are incredibly rare, at least at the thrifts I've seen. I dont just mean modern stuff, even old school 80s rap doesnt show up.

LRP99, qwerty and RomanBlade like this.
  6. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

rap cds .. that aren't totally trashed ...

RomanBlade and DTK like this.
  7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Probably went straight into the trash.

DTK likes this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well maybe they're used for target practice.

Sear and LRP99 like this.
  10. LRP99

LRP99 Forum Resident

Nice to see someone else who isn't a big fan of Dangerous, although I don't think it's a bad record, just overrated. It has some highlights, like Black or White and Will You be There, but so much of it is just obnoxious New Jack Swing that all sounds the same. I think it's a HUGE step down from Jackson's three classic albums that preceded it, and HIStory isn't much better. Don't see that one at the thrifts either, but I did come across it at an antique shop.

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I see HIStory a lot.

Lewisboogie and LRP99 like this.
  12. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Most of what I see in the thrift stores is pure dreck, lps and cds.
    You simply have to be there at the right time, last summer I fell into a rare collection of reggae cds, I walked out with about 25 in one swoop, I traded them to a cd collector for a great collection of jazz and rock records, most of which are worth in the 50$ range so I did pretty good, but that store has had nothing since.

13. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

I got super lucky a few years ago and managed to snag another copy of the original CD pressing of Dangerous in perfect condition for $.99 at a local Goodwill! Since then I haven't seen any. I thought I'd get another copy since I couldn't resist getting a mint condition copy of my favorite Michael Jackson album! I've seen Invincible a few times but never had the urge to pick it up. From what I've heard on Youtube, I didn't much like it. I can't bear to hear a past prime Michael and prefer his work up until HIStory.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Or (shudder)...clean versions.

15. LRP99

LRP99 Forum Resident

The album sold over 8 million copies in the US, and it’s funny how I see so many albums that sold much less at the thrifts multiple times. The only copy I currently own is the cassette pictured in my avatar, I never bothered upgrading it to CD, but I might grab a $1 Goodwill copy if I ever find one. Invincible doesn't sound like a good album from what I've heard, but it sold over 2 million US copies right past the peak of the CD era, so its illusiveness beats me.

I also have yet to come across any thrift store copies of Jackson's breakout album Off The Wall---in fact, the only copy I've seen so far anywhere in-person was at a public library almost three years ago. I ripped it to my computer and burned to a CD-R, and that's still my main copy to this day. While it was released before the CD era, it's certified 9x platinum in the US.

16. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

You might have to go to eBay I suppose to get Dangerous on CD. It's well worth it, the album sounds fantastic on CD. The good news is they're still affordable and you can get the original pressing on CD in good condition for $5!

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I see Dangerous all the time, but maybe not in brilliant condition. Invincible is less common I think because of all the bad publicity. Seen Off the Wall once, and it was a later Austrian CD, so I left it.

rockerreds and LRP99 like this.
  18. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I'm surprised I haven't seen more copies of Nirvana's "In Utero"

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Nirvana's everywhere in Australia. If I went out today I'd find the whole catalogue. The hardest to find in a thrift is Bleach with the bonus live tracks, the whatever anniversary edition.

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I see stacks of Invincibles. Most of the Thrillers and Bads I see are ones with bonus tracks . Not the latest anniversary but whenever they added songs to the albums.

The cutoff point for CDs being mass produced in Australia seems to be that Of Monsters and Men album. Everything after that was pressed at the bare minimum.

21. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

This past week, could not find any Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden or STP (except for Shanghai-La). Ton of Pearl Jam though.

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Well, the original Bad CD had a bonus track. I see mostly Austrian manufactured rather than Japan manufactured CDs in the charity shops. I haven't seen a Swiss manufactured Bad in a long time, but I did see 4 within an 18 month period once. Original Thrillers are rare in charity shops.

23. LRP99

LRP99 Forum Resident

Nirvana seems to be pretty rare in my area's thrifts---only a few months ago, I had my first Nevermind sighting. Don't recall ever seeing anything else by them.

Mylene likes this.
  24. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I think that there are two factors that relate to this topic:
    1. Big selling albums that are great are more likely to be held onto and enjoyed, and therefore less likely to be donated.
      People want to let go of the big sellers that haven't aged well, and the record stores are less likely to buy them because they have plenty of copies already.

2. Any big selling albums that are still desirable would tend to be picked-out soon after they hit the shelves, so are perceived not to be donated.
      There is a charity shop I frequent, and have become familiar with the stock. I recall several times when I've observed a new box of donated records, and someone who got to the store a few minutes before me is pulling out all of the good quality Beatles and similar big-selling albums that I would have bought. When I get access to the box all that is left is the usual rubbish that will sit around in the bins for months. If I walked into the store 10mins later I wouldn't have known the good records that were donated.

25. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

(Yeah, I know I'm a year and a half late to reply, but ...)

Any Columbia era Costello on CD is rare in thrift shops (and their availability in used record shops is not much better). I see 'The Best of ...' in the local thrifts every once in a blue moon, but not the rest of the Columbia label catalogue. Though, he was never a "huge" seller like Boston, Fleetwood Mac and others of the time, which might explain it. BTW, I purchased 'Taking Liberties' on CD at the time of its release. Still have it and will never give it up. Interestingly, when Universal Music re-issued his catalogue on a few years ago it surprisingly included 'Taking Liberties' on vinyl, but not on CD.

phillyal1 and davebush like this.