CDs where a track was cut from the album "to fit music on one cd"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flyingdutchman, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Braincapers

Braincapers Forum Resident

IIRC correctly Foolish Behaviour by Rod Stewart had a bonus track and an extended version of Passion on the cassette but not on the CD

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Gack!

3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m not sure which is better: cut one track to make single-CD length, or charge more for two CDs that are barely more than half full? Keep in mind a single CD was often like $17, and a double was often $25-30. Not a trivial price difference to retain one track.

Maybe you find some bonus tracks to pad out the second disc. In the case of Gord’s Gold, they could have fit vol. 2 on the second disc along with the overflow track from the first one. That at least gives some value on that second disc, right? Even if that value is just Gord’s Gold Vol. 2?

4. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

Live Alive by Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble dropped "Life Without You" from the CD version. It was added back for The Complete Epic Recordings Collection version.

ARK and dlokazip like this.
  5. idiot bastard

idiot bastard Zappa nerd

Conversely, the CD and cassette versions of The Police's
    Synchronicity album added Murder By Numbers as an extra track.

dlokazip likes this.
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Long discs are Bear Family's thing . I believe they have gone as high as 87 minutes.

7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If you didn't know, it was moved to The Dance Collection CD.

Lewisboogie and bataclan2002 like this.
  8. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Haven’t gone through the whole thread but “Murder By Numbers” by The Police was on the cassette version of Synchronicity but not the vinyl, as it wouldn’t fit. Weirdly, it’s not on the CD either! I mean seriously, what the hell! It’s a great song and much better than “Mother”!

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

It's on the old compact disc I have-
    Japan For US Denon DIDX1

10. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, maybe, but there's a lot to be said for Gord's Gold being able to fit on one disc. Today, it would be no problem. I think even in 80s and 90s when it was first released, a single cd could have accommodated 78 minutes.

11. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

True, I had just assumed there was a physical limitation that led to the cut, but there have been plenty of CDs released since that run as long as Gord’s Gold.

Anyway, if they had to eliminate one track, that’s not the one I would have chosen (I’m not sure what I’d pick instead, though). Maybe it just happened to be the length they needed to cut?

12. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

"Wicked World" was not on the original US LP.
    "Warning" was, also, omitted from the CD.

Colinjpush and bataclan2002 like this.
  13. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

"Unchained Melody (live)" and "Hit Single" (a sound collage) were removed, too.

14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Kind of crazy when you look back on it. A CD cost mere cents to manufacture, but they somehow convinced consumers that a double CD somehow cost almost twice as much, even if each disc was barely over 40 minutes. Sure, you were paying for the cost of the actual music, but if the only difference in content was a 74-minute single CD or 85 or so minutes spread over two discs, the actual production cost difference was, at most, 50 cents? No one should ever wonder why computer-savvy consumers were so ready to destroy the industry by the end of the 90's.

15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

100%

I do think a double-LP of most any album reissued on 2 CDs, regardless of total running time, would have been accepted as “yeah, it’s a disc for each LP, not a big deal.” However, I’m sure $30 for a 2-CD release of a compilation probably already owned on LP by a lot of the potential buyers (people switching formats, I would imagine; I doubt the primary target for this reissue was new Gordon Lightfoot fans) was calculated to be less appealing in the market, maybe?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Farmer Mike likes this.
  16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Hit Single and Strange Euphoria were also removed from the cassette of this album I used to have, Unchained Melody was included though.

I started off with the cassette then "upgraded" to CD and finally a few years ago found a great second hand copy on vinyl.

17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

How odd.

I can't find this version in Discogs. Was it Canadian?

18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

UK. I am originally from Wales.

I just tried looking on Discogs for it and couldn't either.

dlokazip likes this.
  19. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Several of their Sweet Soul Music discs run up to 85 minutes.

bRETT likes this.
  20. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

World Wide Live had "Another Piece Of Meat", "Can't Get Enough (Part 1)", "Six String Sting", and "Can't Get Enough (Part 2)" removed. "Dynamite" was moved to the end.

When the CD was remastered, they added those tracks back in, but screwed up "Dynamite". Not only did they fail to restore its original place in the track listing, they missed a 35 second edit of crowd noise in the middle of the track, ruining the momentum. Who needs a track extended if it's just for crowd noise?

jeffreybh likes this.
  21. walrus

I mean, stuff still sold, I guess. Because the industry knew there were enough people who'd pay $30+ for another copy of The Wall. But it's completely crazy, in hindsight.

Big Blue likes this.
  22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yes. "Hit Single" was connected to "Strange Euphoria". I forgot about "Unchained Melody".

23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

True. I guess I was thinking more because it’s a compilation. Also, The Wall is well beyond the running time of a regular CD, and, for obvious reasons, couldn’t reasonably have had tracks cut.

It actually would have made more sense to me to expand the track listing of Gord’s Gold and sold a double CD. Then they’d potentially have had even more format-updaters jumping on it? Or maybe it worked out just fine for all involved cutting that one track. Again, it is a compilation, and it’s a packed-full CD.

24. walrus

I don't think I could name a Gordon Lightfoot song besides the one about the ship, so I have no idea there. Just observing the double-CD price and how (at least through most of the 90's) it had virtually zero reflection on the actual content or value thereof.

Then again, in retrospect I view it as kind of a terrible format: awkward when trying to deal with vinyl-era compilations or (especially) live albums, yet it brought about the era of horribly bloated studio albums full of material that would've never made the cut in the vinyl era. Lots of threads about the Beatles Red and Blue compilations, among others, and the more I think about it the more I feel like hardly any vinyl-era compilations should've ever made the transition to CD. I remember Santana's Greatest Hits on CD was completely nonsensical, as a teenager in the magical pre-Supernatural 90's who wanted to learn more about him beyond the 5 radio hits, but obviously couldn't afford all the albums. Same with Sly & the Family Stone, Aerosmith's columbia GH album, etc.

I remember a few early CD-era (seemingly) CD-specific compilations: Jefferson Airplane's 2400 Fulton Street, the Beach Boys Made In USA, a King Crimson one. But this seems more the exception than the norm. Doesn't really matter in 2021, thankfully, but it's kind of a bummer looking back on collecting during my teenage years. Like, Aerosmith's Greatest Hits and Gems should've essentially been one album in the CD era. Don't miss that crap at all.

Big Blue likes this.
  25. Millstone50

Millstone50 Forum Resident

Murder by Numbers on Synchronicity (Vinyl)