CDs where a track was cut from the album "to fit music on one cd"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flyingdutchman, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I do think new compilations for CD release would have made more sense in terms of fitting the format.

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I assume it was just laziness on the part of record companies at the time, a rush to get everything on CD as quickly as boomers could buy them. Kind of surprised more artists didn't step in and have more say in the matter (Carlos, for example, was still signed to Columbia through 1990, so he easily could've said "let's do a better Greatest Hits than the 34 minute joke of an LP we did in 1974").

phillyal1 and Big Blue like this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Carlos has proven pretty bad at telling Clive Davis when he has a lame idea.

4. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Supposedly 74. Which brings me back to the Ozzy / Speak Of The Devil (Jet CD) I mentioned. Released in '86 missing "Sweet Leaf" (LP timing 5:44) making the CD 64:29. Adding those together I get roughly 70:13 which should fit. The 90's remaster brings back SL and is timed at 70:19. So, I am just trying to get why it was ever cut to begin with. ELO/Out Of The Blue was released a few months later in '86 on Jet CD as well and was complete at 70:28. On a curious note the Euro OOTB was a 2cd set.

c-eling likes this.
  5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Gord’s Gold is 73:43! Should have been perfect!

6. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

7. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Bob Seger’s live album Nine Tonight originally a double album edited the track “Let it Rock” cutting it nearly in half for the CD release. Then when they remastered it, instead of restoring the song to full length, they kept the edit and added a bonus track. Really?!!

Lewisboogie, Colinjpush, ARK and 3 others like this.
  8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would have just cut “Old Time Rock and Roll” out, instead.

smokeverbs and BrentB like this.
  9. bataclan2002

They pulled something similar with the Rick James two-fer Street Songs/Throwin’Down. “Dance Wit’ Me” was severely edited to fit. But thankfully the full 7 and a half minute version was on the Greatest Hits CD so it was an easy fix making a CD-R.

10. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ehhh.... having both Red and Blue in appropriately-colored fat-boy cases was kinda nice. :)

11. TheLazenby

So..... no "Do You Feel Like We Do." That's friggin' criminal.

They should've done what the picture disc did, selected tracks from both LP's.

12. TheLazenby

And the cassette, which also adds a 20+ minute ambient hidden track to pad out side four (and is VERY interesting, and worth a listen with headphones).

13. bataclan2002

That actually is a nice gesture and I wish they did the same for other artists. Prince’s 1999 on CD for example lost a key track (9 minutes long) to fit it on a single disc. Meanwhile Dirty Mind clocks in at under 30 minutes, and Controversy 37 minutes. Why not add “DMSR” as a bonus track on one of those releases instead of losing it completely?

mBen989 and smokeverbs like this.
  14. bataclan2002

Same with the first two live KISS albums, Alive! and Alive II.

Colinjpush likes this.
  15. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

I absolutely disagree.
    Fly and Snowman are 2 of my favorites.

16. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

That’s great! So for you the truncated release would’ve been perfectly fine.

BeauZooka likes this.
  17. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

When Grand Funk Railroad's "Caught In The Act" was first issued on CD, they edited out most of Don Brewer's drum solo from T.N.U.C. to make the double live album fit onto one disc. They must have gotten some negative feedback, because when it was remastered in 2003, the drum solo had been restored. Instead, they edited most of the Introduction track, and removed a lot of the crowd noise between songs to make everything fit.

I've never cared for drum solos on a live album, so I prefer the first release to the second.

18. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Ever After is an excellent Chameleons rocker!
    The Canadian 1 CD release includes it and all of the other tracks. Great album!

19. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

It was actually! :)
    Although now I listen to it on the original UK double vinyl, which sounds amazing. :righton:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Jamsterdammer likes this.
  20. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

In an example of the reverse of this; Drive-by Trucker's album "Southern Rock Opera" was a double-CD and they had to cut the song "Moved" from the vinyl version in order to fit the whole thing on double-vinyl. It's the weakest song on the album, so no big loss.

21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Possible Sony's early Japan plant couldn't handle that time length (ELO) or they just wanted to keep the aesthetics the same.

22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Hey I got screwed, mine only runs 1:11:52 :laugh:

Big Blue likes this.
  23. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I don’t believe it’s been widely rectified. Is that song available digitally at all? I thought one version might have it but can’t remember.

24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

:laugh: (I mean, Clive had been gone from Columbia for 15+ years by this point, but that's still funny)

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  25. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

If I may paraphrase Homer Simpson's praising of Grand Funk Railroad:
    " Mark's powerful vocals, Mel's thunderous bass, Don's adequate drumming..."