CDs with the most dynamic range!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Mar 3, 2011.

1. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville Thread Starter

What are some of the best ones with wide dynamic range on CD? I vote for "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits and my favorite version, the Matsushita pressing. IIRC, there are some songs that (according to EAC) peak at 20% all the way to 100%! What are some others that you know and enjoy with great dynamics?

There was only one ancient, dead, thread on this topic from 2002 so I thought now might be a great time to bring it back up and see if there are some other selections that may have emerged since that time! There was also a recent thread (from a year ago or so) regarding individual songs, but I'm looking for CDs. Thanks!

2. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Try "We All Fall In Love Sometimes/Curtains" from "The Superior Sound Of Elton John"

Attached Files:

3. Check this website out:-

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

..search for the artist and get the DR rating. I remember seeing on here that Iggy Mix of Raw Power is DR = 1!

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

There are no rock or pop, or even jazz, CDs that send me running for the controls. Some are nice, but not really wide.

However, the Charles Dutoit Decca recordings of Ravel's Daphnis, Falla's El Amor Brujo and the Ravel Bolero collection are quite difficult to get a handle on. These discs capture the full dynamic swing of a large orchestra in a large space.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut has a bomb explosion that could ruin speakers if you're not careful.

6. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Yeah, there's a Can track like that: the segue of "Mushroom" into "Oh Yeah" on the Tago Mago album (Spoon CD, never heard the remaster) smashes in very loud and distorted after the lowness of "Mushroom" and before the low fade-in of "Oh Yeah".

7. fadingcaptain

fadingcaptain Active Member

Along the same lines, John Oswald's Aparanthesi contains not only extreme dynamic range swings, but some moments designed to cause serious cone flapping. Careful with that volume control Eugene!

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

There is also that excellent list one of the recording/mastering studios put up on their web site - very detailed .... wait a second

9. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I'm old school - sound effects don't count. Anyone can turn up a digital explosion.

I've got some interesting Taiko CDs that are very wide range (more so than KODO).

I never thought buying the DR meter was worth it.

mr.datsun and rockledge like this.
  10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

11. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

12. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The Digital Domain: A Demonstration
    One of the 1st cd I purchased back in 1983

crp207, DML2112 and impalaboy like this.
  13. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I was going to listen to this CD this week. Where is it, so I'm prepared? :)

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The whole album must be watched for sudden volume boosts.

But I think bomb is just before The Fletcher Memorial.

But do listen to this album fairly loud, it really sounds great!

15. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

The MFSL "Crime of the Century has l loads of dynamics.

ARod, rochacrimson, TimB and 3 others like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I remember one of the early 1984 Telarc recordings of the "1812 Overture" had a big warning label cautioning that the cannon blast might wreck your speakers. I'd call that a lotta dynamic range.

I doubt there's typically more than 40dB dynamic range in a lot of pop & rock recordings. Any more than that, and I think it'd blow the listener out of the room 60dB for classical and jazz isn't that unusual.

17. kap'n krunch

kap'n krunch Forum Resident

Martyn and David Johnson like this.
  18. Joe Jackson's Will Power opens with a track called "No Pasaran" which must be one of the most dynamic tracks I've ever heard on a rock album.

19. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Mike Oldfield's Amarok ...... simply the most dynamic continuous 60 minutes and 2 seconds ever, surely. Keep your hand on that volume knob!!!

20. Any well-recorded version of Ravel's "Bolero" would certainly test and possibly exceed many audio systems' limitations...:eek: It's basically a 15-minute orchestral crescendo that starts from whispering quietness to all-out symphonic bedlam!!!

Rock66 and Darren Richardson like this.
  21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Check out the bass on "Gaia" off James Taylor's Hourglass. It's better on the SACD, but still quite good on the CD.

22. Matze S.

Matze S. Forum Resident

I was waiting for someone to mention this!
    Totally agree!

andrewskyDE and willy like this.
  23. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Nice one of these for sale in the Marketplace Classifieds... :shh::agree:

24. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The old classical CDs had way too much dynamic range. I remember looking at a DBX CD player that had variable dynamic range just so I could listen to some of these CDs without having to jump up and lower the volume. Remember, those were the days when receivers did not often come with remote controls! :)

I still have what I consider to be the most dynamic range CD. It's Schubert' Symphonie No. 8/Mendelssohn's Symphonie No. 4, conducted by Giuseppe Sinopoli on Deutsch Grammaphon 410 862-2. Too much dynamic range. Almost unlistenable, especially in a car.

joshm2286 likes this.
  25. cara

cara Member

The Phillips CD's of the late 80's and early 90's had some absolutely incredible dynamic swings. Seiji Ozawa's version of Orff's Carmina Burana was a favourite of mine at the time and Peter Schreier's Mozart's Requiem is always the first recording I play on any new piece of equipment I listen to.

rmbaker likes this.