CDs with the most dynamic range!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Eddy Flycatcher

Eddy Flycatcher Forum Resident

2. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Is the DR value for this album calculated for pre-emphasised CD? I believe the de-emphasised CD has DR12 value (I also ripped the 2-track to 5 songs using index info).

3. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

You're right, I have both emph and deemph versions on the computer (deemph done with sox) and the deemph version reads DR13 (though I left it at 2 songs). Good catch!

4. Henry66

Henry66 Forum Resident

I just got this for Christmas. It is excellent! Album DR13.

James McMurtry / Too Long in the Wasteland (Columbia 1989, CK 45229)

5. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Anne-Sophie Mutter's CD of the Berg Concerto on DG has exteme dynamic range. Great performance, too.

6. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

And the Telarc recording of PDQ Bach's 1712 Overture has a warning label cautioning that the balloon pops may damage your speakers :confused:

7. Danny Caccavo

Danny Caccavo Senior Member

Although I've never measured it, King Crimson's "Larks Tongues In Aspic" takes it for me. You set the volume for the top of the album, and a few minutes in, this huge crescendo starts and you go racing for the volume control....

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Do people still give CDs as Christmas gifts?

9. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

The only two I can think of that are non-classical are "The Superior Sound Of Elton John" and my originak UK copy of "A Trick Of The Tail".

10. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

My de-emphasised Japan 2-track shows DR13. The new SACD shows DR11.

11. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Split into five songs, 2-tracks WYWH DR value is DR12 ;)

12. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

CD with the most dynamic range? Have to be some of the Karajan opera recordings for EMI in the 70's - it is known that during that era Karajan insisted the dynamics of his recordings to be widened further by manipulating them artificially (a process, oposite to the so much discussed compression) This is really strange artistic decision, not very pleasant to the ear.
    As an example I can point out his recording of Don Carlo from 1978 - exellent reprformance, with exellent soloists and orchestra, but to my ears - totally ruined by the artificially wide dynamics.

13. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

:righton: (Off Topic for sec: his whole discography is good to great)

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Too wide of dynamics are the kiss of death. Not as bad as NO dynamics but there is a fine line in presenting recorded music and one has to be careful not to go in either direction or it's disaster..

Gerry Todd likes this.
  15. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

How about posting DR value for this one ;)?

16. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Below is the first CD from the version shown at ... http://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Don-Carlo-Giuseppe/dp/B000002SDX ... I think it sounds nice, but I wasn't aware of any dynamic range enhancement used on it, and I haven't heard the original vinyl.

foobar2000 1.1.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Verdi / Don Carlo (Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic, Carreras)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR15 -5.42 dB -28.16 dB 6:13 01-Act 1, Scene 1 - Carlo il sommo Imperatore
    DR14 -2.08 dB -24.08 dB 3:20 02-Io l'ho perduta!
    DR12 -4.93 dB -25.83 dB 1:02 03-Il duolo della terra
    DR13 -3.55 dB -24.53 dB 3:19 04-E lui! desso! l'Infante!
    DR12 -16.33 dB -35.33 dB 0:53 05-Ascolta! Le porte dell'asil s'apron gia
    DR12 -1.57 dB -18.86 dB 4:47 06-Dio, che nell'alma infondere amor
    DR16 -1.68 dB -27.33 dB 2:42 07-Act 1, Scene 2 - Sotto ai folti, immensi abeti
    DR13 -9.32 dB -31.09 dB 0:50 08-Tra queste mura pie la Regina di Spagna
    DR14 -1.38 dB -22.29 dB 4:49 09-Nei giardin del bello saracin ostello
    DR15 -16.37 dB -39.39 dB 1:56 10-La Regina!...Un'arcana mestizia
    DR15 -5.99 dB -28.29 dB 2:24 11-Che mai si fa nel suol francese
    DR14 -5.44 dB -26.90 dB 5:05 12-Carlo, ch'e sol il nostro amore
    DR15 -0.48 dB -23.44 dB 11:23 13-Io vengo a domandar
    DR12 -3.76 dB -23.44 dB 1:19 14-Il Re!...Perche sola e la Regina
    DR14 -7.22 dB -28.30 dB 4:55 15-No pianger, mia compagna
    DR14 -12.21 dB -32.93 dB 2:15 16-Restate! Presso alla mio personna
    DR15 -0.10 dB -22.04 dB 3:17 17-O Signor, di Fiandra arrivo
    DR13 -2.10 dB -22.92 dB 3:14 18-Quest'e la pace che voi date al mondo
    DR13 -0.10 dB -20.84 dB 3:42 19-Oso lo sguardo tuo penetrar il mio soglio

Number of tracks: 19
    Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 578 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

17. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Six pages of responses and that was the first thing I also thought of

In the car or a measly system. You can barely hear the low level parts then bam

I really enjoy this so much more on vinyl as the low level detail and dynamics are so well defined and the crescendos are incredibly dynamic

so much so that a lesser amp may clip during this passage

18. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

This is the redbook layer? I'm getting DR12 for the DSD stereo tracks, but it may depend on how the PCM conversion was performed:

foobar2000 1.1.10 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2011-12-27 12:29:46

Analyzed: Pink Floyd / Wish You Were Here (SACD)

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -0.33 dB -15.84 dB 13:31 01-Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-5)
    DR11 -0.21 dB -15.51 dB 7:25 02-Welcome To The Machine
    DR12 -0.45 dB -14.57 dB 5:08 03-Have A Cigar
    DR12 -0.46 dB -17.68 dB 5:33 04-Wish You Were Here
    DR11 -0.68 dB -15.52 dB 12:36 05-Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 6-9)

Number of tracks: 5
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 88200 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2645 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

19. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

IMO, a good example is Supertramp's Crime Of The Century. The MFSL CD is ridiculously dynamic (DR16) and sounds pretty limp to my ears. I wouldn't call it kiss of death, but I do prefer (a rip of) the original UK LP, which is compressed (DR11) and has some much needed balls, without being loud.

20. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I strongly disagree.
    This tape, without any compression added, transfered direct to DSD and released as an SACD would be heaven.

21. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

MFSL - "The Power and the Majesty" ... Those steam locomotives are very low in volume when they're far away, but wait until they come near. :shh:

22. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Not sure on this example, as in a normal home environment, too much dynamic range becomes tedious and less useful.

A home isnt able to recreate a super wide dynamic range, not so much out of equipment limitations, but more out of practicality. It becomes an exercise in futility to actually play it back and enjoy it.:righton:

23. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I dunno, like I said, I have Gardiner's rendition of Mozart's Magic Flute on 2 CDs (recorded in digitally 1990s). Both discs clock at DR15 and sound simply phenomenal to my ears ;):

15 The Monteverdi Choir, The English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner / Mozart: Die Zauberflote - CD 1
    15 The Monteverdi Choir, The English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner / Mozart: Die Zauberflote - CD 2

24. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

I expected many to disagree. But have you heard the LP? Actually, it was Jeff Carney on this forum who declared that the LP sounds better than the MFSL CD, and after hearing the former I had to agree, even though it meant another expensive CD I probably will never listen to again.

25. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

Steve's DCC of Aqualung clocks in at DR 15.

The new remaster comes in at DR 13.