cds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Edge_88, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edge_88

Edge_88 New Member Thread Starter

why on some cds theres like 5 minutes with no music on them ? They put that on there for purpose? For a example The group Filter has at the last song 5 mins of blank room on there.

2. alternatetune

alternatetune New Member

Trippy, I haven't encountered that...yet. Maybe someone asleep at the wheel?

3. Edge_88

Edge_88 New Member Thread Starter

I have some other cds that have blank spots on them to

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Me too. Two examples.

On Sarah McLachlan's "The Freedom Sessions", the album ends (or so one thinks) and about 2 minutes later there is an incredible version of Tom Wait's "Old '55". It's not on the liner notes. I wonder if some have missed this.

On Mary Chapin Carpenter's "time* sex* love*" on SACD, there is a long song for the last number - about 7 minutes. I noticed the track times as I was listening, but was surprised when the last (and very beautiful) song seemed to finish. There was a blank space of some 30 seconds, and then some every weird stuff from a recording session, starting with MCC laughing uncontrollably, and ending with a very nice song.

Fun stuff.

Regards,
    Metralla

5. KLM

KLM Senior Member

There are a lot of cds like this (Nirvana's Nevermind is another example) where the cd ends and then several minutes later a song starts playing on the same track number. Many times the song is not even mentioned on the album

I don't know the reason for these. it's almost like a little bonus surprise when you first buy the album. It could be a marketing ploy to create some word of mouth excitement (like the hidden bonuses on DVDs) and give the customer a little something extra that they weren't expecting.

6. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I think the fist time I encountered this on CD was with Cracker - Kerosene Hat. The unlisted "Eurotrash Girl" is a gem.

7. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Bonus Track Examples:

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" - The Beatles (1967)
    Sgt. Pepper's Inner Groove

"Nevermind" - Nirvana (1991)
    Endless, Nameless

"No Alternative" (Compilation; 1992)
    Verse Chorus Verse by Nirvana

"Purple" - Stone Temple Pilots (1994)
    Twelve Gracious Melodies

"Dookie" - Green Day (1994)
    All By Myself

"Smash" - The Offspring (1994)
    Instrumental Version of 'Come Out And Play'

"Pure Frosting" - The Presidents Of The United States Of America (1998)
    Hot Karl

"Americana" - The Offspring (1998)
    Larry "Bud" Melman sings 'Pretty Fly For A White Guy, accompanied by Spanish music.

Here's a very interesting example:

"Factory Showroom" - They Might Be Giants (1996)
    If you pop the disc in, it should start of on track one: 'S-E-X-X-Y," but if you hit rewind on your CD player, it should go into track negative one, 'The Token Back To Brooklyn.' This is the only example I know of of such a bonus track.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Yea, Like Steve's DCC The Zombies Greatest Hits Track 15 Bonus "She's Not There" starts at 3:15 in STEREO!

9. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

I have another such example..."Songs In the Key of X" is a kind of various artists tribute to the music and atmosphere of the X-Files TV show.

Rewind from the start of track 1 and you get the Dirty Three doing a weirded out version of the X-Files theme.

These so called "hidden tracks" became a bit of a habit for a time...you still hear them on new CD's from time to time.

Keep the faith!

Togo

10. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

11. Matt

Matt New Member

My favorites have to be the ones on the Ray Charles 50th anniversary box set. A bit of chatter and piano on one disc, a Coke commercial on another, and a beer commercial on another.

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I checked my copy out this morning. It ain't on there

anyone else?

13. Angel

Angel New Member

Second pressing only. Not on mine either.

14. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Re: Hidden tracks website

Thanks for the link, Joachim. I think the hidden tracks before the start of the CD are very interesting, and discovered a few I didn't know through this web site. One I don't think they listed is on the David Bowie CD RarestOne Bowie.

15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

There's a hidden track before track 1 on Shaver's excellent "Highway of Life."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.