Celebrating Neil Finn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PRW94, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Yes “Only Talking Sense” is such a jaw-dropping classic.

That whole album is chock-full of murky gems.

tables_turning and JoshM like this.
  2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

And that is what bothers me most about... ahem... that situation...

I fear that what I hope will be a relatively short stint for him will follow him for a longer time in terms of somehow tarnishing his legacy... I like Neil Finn a lot, so hopefully not.

As others have said, I hope it's a short term/big paycheck/get out quick and back to the business of being Neil Finn... ;)

Lorin, PRW94 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  3. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident Thread Starter

IMO he's out of there when this tour's done if there's no new music. I figure he's doing this as a favor for Mick and because his son wanted him to.

But I don't think this is going to tarnish his legacy with anyone who isn't freaking obsessed with the Lindsey-Stevie soap opera.

4. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Love Neil and his brother Tim. His live broadcasts last year of what became the Out of Silence lp were pretty amazing.

tables_turning and Lance LaSalle like this.
  5. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

The first time I saw Crowded House (and the only time before their mid-2000s reunion) was on this tour in Minneapolis. Fantastic show, with typically crazy antics from Paul Hester. I remember being shocked to hear that he had quit the band after only another 2-3 weeks' worth of shows following this one. Sheryl Crow was a solid opening act, although she only had the one album out at the time and she played nearly everything on it, including a couple of the naff cuts ("The Na-Na Song" sent me to the bar, as I recall).

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  6. Lance LaSalle

Would anybody following this thread be interested in participating a mega song-by-song thread by Split Enz, TimFinn/Neil Finn/Finn Brothers? Something like this Beach Boys thread I've been participating in? Makes for good convo. Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

7. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I’d be in for that.

8. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Me too. But you'd need to go slow: small children don't make for much free time :)

Mooserfan and Lance LaSalle like this.
  9. dockofthebay

dockofthebay Forum Resident

Yeah I'd be in.

I'm off to see Neil & Liam in about 30 minutes. :)

wrappedinsky and Lance LaSalle like this.
  10. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

I'm with you...but looking on the positive side of things it may garner Neil a wider audience moving forward.

gregorya likes this.
  11. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

I have a huge admiration for Neil Finn's entire career.

I remember watching him and Tim Finn performing in 2004 the day that John Peel died. Johnny Marr joined them onstage and sang an impromptu version of Teenage Kicks.

12. Lance LaSalle

all right then, I'll will start planning a thread. . That way we might catch more people who are interested. For the record, I'll go song-by-song in chronological albums from studio albums plus selected non-LP selections. Because there is QUITE A LOT of music I will only do Finn related projects -- i.e., no Eddie Rayner/Makers/Phil Judd/Swingers/Schnell Fenster/Dark Star/Deckchairs Overboard/Liam Finn (unless done in collaboration with Neil or Tim). I might want to do something like that later, but obviously focusing on Finn Brothers projects is in itself a gargantuan task without focusing on spin off projects.

Also quite a lot of that stuff is hard to find in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway. There are definitely albums and songs that I have never heard. For another thing, there must be some limits for sanity's sake. :

1. Beginning of the Enz
    2. Mental Notes
    3. Second Thoughts
    4. Dizrhythmia--
    5. Rootin' Tootin' Luton Tapes (single disc)
    6. Frenzy
    7. True Colors
    8. Waiata/Corroboree (plus bonus tracks)
    9. Time and Tide+bonus
    10. Escapade
    11. Conflicting Emotions+bonus
    12. See Ya Round+bonus
    13. Big Canoe+bonus
    14. Crowded House+bonus
    15. Temple of Low Men+bonus
    16. Tim Finn+bonus)
    17. OK All Right Uh-Huh Oh Yeah (Schnell Fenster)+bonus
    18. Woodface
    19. Before and After
    20. Together Alone+bonus
    21. Finn Brothers+bonus
    22. Try Whistling This + bonus
    23. Say It Is So
    24. Afterglow+bonus
    25. Feeding the Gods
    26. One Nil/One All+bonus
    27. Everyone Is Here
    28. Imaginary Kingdom
    29. Time on Earth (plus bonus)
    30. Conversation
    31. Intriguer+bonus
    32. Pajama Club
    33. new songs from North, West, East, South: anthology
    34. The View Is Worth the Climb
    35. Dizzy Heights
    36. Out of Silence
    37. Lightsleeper
    Have I missed anything?

At first I will go slowly (perhaps one song every third day) to allow people to see the thread and perhaps join as not everyone who might be interested will have seen these last few posts on this particular thread, but eventually I hope to speed up to one song per day. (Say, by SEcond Thoughts.) I think most of us can relate to being busy -- I have a son myself, and run a business where it seems like I'm constantly solving crises, so we'll just have to post as we can. It's not really necessary to write full essays of each songs, a few words and a rating suffices!

First post will be on Monday (Central European Time, that might be Tuesday for some of you, depending on what time I post.) I'll post here too at that time to alert everyone and provide a link.

sharedon, Paul H and kouzie like this.
  13. Lance LaSalle

And no Fleetwood Mac!

wrappedinsky likes this.
  14. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

You will only do Finn related projects...…….but no Liam Finn? I think his albums should be included. Just listened to The Nihilist last night on vinyl. What an incredible album!!!

15. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

This sounds like a lot of fun but a pretty daunting task. I applaud you for attempting this; I'm not sure how much I can contribute but I'll try when I can...

A couple more obscure-ish albums you may wish to consider if you haven't already:
    Enzso (1996): Orchestra versions of Split Enz tunes including 8 contributions by the brothers Finn. (Nothing new but some interesting takes on existing songs).

Rain Soundtrack (2001): Neil Finn's first foray into film scoring. (worth a mention as there are multiple Neil Finn compositions on it)

7 Worlds Collide - The Sun Came Out (2009): 20 person supergroup project of Neil Finn including members of Wilco, Radiohead, and members of the Finn Family. (You may only want to highlight the Finn led tracks but it's an interesting if not overly ambitious project of 24 songs recorded over 21 days)…

She Will Have Her Way (2005) / He Will Have His Way (2010) / They Will Have Their Way (2011): Essentially Tim & Neil Finn tribute albums so no Neil & Tim. (Might make for a nice refresher of the hits by more current Australian artists).

...and don't forget to include Recurring Dream (1996) for "Not the Girl You Think You Are", "Instinct" & "Everything is Good for You" even if it is primarily a greatest hits package.​
    Feel free to ignore my suggestions if you wish; you've already narrowed the field to 37 albums which will obviously take over a year if you're only doing a song a day. I'm certainly no expert and will love to hear other people's takes on the Finn/Finn catalogue...​

Paul H likes this.
  16. Lance LaSalle

Well, my plan was to do the Recurring Dream as "bonus songs" for Afterglow, since they were included on the Deluxe version of Afterglow.

I'd prefer to skip Enzso and other Rayner-related side projects. (I know that both Tim and Neil are on Enzso, and I agree they are interesting. Maybe I'll change my mind when we get near; it will depend on how much of a slog this ends up being. I don't think it will be, but, who know? I don't think I want to do the tribute albums, though I have them and like them well enough. I will definitely be doing "The Sun Came Out", though.

Rain soundtrack songs will be bonus tracks.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    planetexpress likes this.
  17. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I would include Liam’s albums. Also, I would do the 2 disc version of the Enz Luton release. You could include it as part of the Frenzy discussion since some versions of the latter album include Luton tracks. Not sure why you’ve included the one Schnell Fenster album. Also, there’s Recurring Dream, the CH best of with new songs and a second live disc, and Neil’s Rain soundtrack. Tim’s new The Fiery Beast is also missing. There are a few Enz live albums as well that might bear passing mention. I would skip all of the fan club live releases.

18. Lance LaSalle

1. The two disc version of Luton tapes is basically impossible for me to get.
    2. Schnnell Finster album inclusion was a mistake.
    3. Dont really want to get into live albums.
    4. Dont have/cant get fan club music.
    5. Addressed some of the other albums in the post literally above yours.
    Kind of regretting this.

19. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

I suppose I've been to some pretty good shows over the years. But sometimes I feel like I've only been to one GREAT show, and that was Crowded House about a decade or so ago. There was something about the way they interacted with the audience that made it feel like they really were playing just for us. For 2 or 3 hours, it felt like we--the band and the audience--were just a big group of friends hanging out. Best night ever. Plus they even began the show with "Recurring Dream," probably my favorite song by Neil Finn/Crowded House. I love just about the entire Neil Finn catalog.

NorthNY Mark and Mooserfan like this.
  20. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Tim's new The Fiery Beast? What is this?

21. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

It should be Fiery Maze. It's a musical. A fan club release had been scheduled but was cancelled. Alas, said club is no more.

22. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I've always preferred this performance clip of "I Got You" -- Neil is on point the whole way through, even following the cameras with his gaze at critical moments. Props to Eddie Rayner on keys, who plays his parts note perfect to the recording. A great video that shows how tight Split Enz was as a live band.

Retropsych likes this.
  23. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

The Fiery Maze, not beast. Sorry I mangled that.

It’s an album of songs from a musical he did a few years ago. It was released, but only on Spotify, in December. He wrote all of the songs but doesn’t sing them on the album.

dthomas850 likes this.
  24. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

No worries. You asked for input. Just trying to be helpful.

25. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

He doesn’t sing on them??
    Is his voice ok?
    What a singer he was in his younger days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.