CGI Is Starting to Suck

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Just the regular Chrome browser that I always use.

Another member posted not being able to see the prior images that were posted?

I am seeing everything else that I think I should see?

2. SandAndGlass

They should have see how the Wizard of Oz did their tornado, as a practical effect back in 1939.

I think the it still holds up well today.

There is something to be said about using practical effects.

I think that Twister holds up well, as far as tornado movies go.

But then, I like to see flying cows.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So you think that if/when comic book movies fade, there will no longer be action movies?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

This is your first mistake when analyzing that post: starting from a bad assumption :shh:

Michael likes this.
  5. LC2A3

LC2A3 Well-Known Member

I don’t know, action movies are what they are. These comic book movies are kids movies, it’s a very adolescent sensibility.

6. SandAndGlass

From the appearance of things, the movie industry is hell bent on keeping comic book / super hero movies going forever.

If they don't, then the studio's will probably have to shutter their door's.

I would say, that the studio's could use some more diversification in their programming content.

If the comic book thing were to tank tomorrow, then the studio's will be in deep du-du.

Action movies are always good, when there are good action movies, that is.

Deesky likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

How many of these movies have you actually seen?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

I completely disagree. If audiences finally tire of comic book movies, something else will take their place.

Decades ago, studios churned out skillions of Westerns. Once audiences tired of those, they found other genres that entertained people.

The notion that moviedom will collapse if/when audiences no longer embrace comic book movies puts way too much emphasis on one genre.

And the studios don't really produce THAT MANY comic book movies. As mentioned in another thread, there are 10 coming out this year - and that's the most ever.

Less than 1 movie per month isn't exactly super-saturation...

eeglug, wayneklein and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. SandAndGlass

I don't believe that I ever made any statement that there that many number wise.

Take a look at the income that the studio's derive from comic book movies as a percentage of their total annual box office receipts.

10. Oatsdad

Yes, comic book movies bring in big books, but do you truly believe that if they decline in popularity, there won't be other popular genres to replace them?

Comic book movies only became a major genre since 2002 or so - Hollywood existed a long time before that and thrived without them...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

For the record, I'm not a big fan of them, which is not to say, that there are ones that I enjoy watching. I liked Aquaman, Bumblebee, Alita and the opening tomorrow, Captain Marvel looks good.

Since they are making a ton of money for the studio's, you can't argue with their success.

Many years back, I read a statement, "Hollywood does not make movies, they remake movies".

Between the comic book movies and the endless remakes, studio's are throwing original movies away.

There are so many original themes and ideas, like movie franchises that are based on successful books, such as Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hunger Games, which have been very successful for the studio's.

It would be nice to see more movies along these lines.

How many times are they going to remake "Batman"?

The Pet Sematary remake is coming up next month.

When comic book movies fall out of favor, I imagine they will need some other genera to replace them with.

But what?

Vidiot likes this.
  12. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Eventually CGI actors will begin directing.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Interesting concept...and pretty hysterical...

14. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Michael like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL...

16. Oatsdad

I dunno, but I'm sure Hollywood won't evaporate into the mist...

SandAndGlass and BeatleJWOL like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

One problem: if they start failing all at once, and a single studio releases (say) three x $200 million bombs in one year, that could literally lead to a Heaven's Gate bankruptcy situation.

I warned more than a year ago that the relative failure of Batman vs. Superman and Justice League would lead to a shake-up at Warner Bros. ...

Zack Snyder Steps Down From 'Justice League' to Deal With Family Tragedy

Warner Bros. Marketing Department Sees Exec Exits Amid Restructuring

Warner Bros. Announces New Film Chairman & Executive Changes

Warner Bros Shakeup: Sue Kroll Segues to Producer Role, With Toby Emmerich Promoted; Blair Rich Upped To Head Global Marketing, Ron Sanders To Run Global Distribution

Warner Bros. CEO and chairman under investigation for sexual misconduct amid leaked text dump

Granted, the latter headline happened because the CEO had an affair and got involved in a blackmail thing, but I think the timing is interesting. I truly believe all of this stuff happened because they simply couldn't figure out how to crack the Marvel formula and made poor decisions. If they movies were big hits (and were good critically), everything would have been forgiven and everybody (except maybe Brett Ratner) would still have their jobs. A Hollywood "fixer" like Ray Donovan would have come in and made all these problems go away.

CGI is a separate problem, though, and CGI alone doesn't make a good movie bad. But it can make a bad movie worse.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

I think the "relative failure" of "BvS" is overstated. Movie made almost $900m worldwide and clearly turned a profit.

I would agree "JL" was a relative failure, though. It came hot on the heels of the successful "Wonder Woman" and should've been a big smash, but it ended up as the weakest-selling of the DC flicks.

It might have still made a profit, but if so, it was tight...

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Starting?

:laugh:

20. Hollywood has dabbled in remakes sine the 1930’s. Granted, they were a small number back then but they continued to be part of the landscape. The difference now vs. before is that the studios, due to the sometimes fickle public, word on the internet and the company continuing ballooning budgets, studios are always looking for a sure thing with tent pole projects and toys, etc. has become a major income stream ever since “Star Wars” (they were there before but that was before we had an entire generation of adults obsessed with colleectable toys).

As Colin mentioned, the film studios always have tackled genre films from fantasy to horror to science fiction. It’s something they’ve done since the beginning the difference is that the genres have progressed and dominate a Forest filled with less trees which makes the number of these appear even more than they are (although granted they have increased but, again, compared to westerns during the 60’s and 70’s where there were as many as 21 per year, it’s not a huge amount).

If you add in what is being done for cable, streaming and network TV it certainly makes comic book material more ubiquitous (and seem more ubiquitous when it comes to films than before).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

True, but there are a couple of differences. Western's were the backbone of the movie business in America. The cowboy hero was the comic book here of their day.

But, also remember, I don't think there was ever a 100M western. People years ago, went to the movies more often then. A movie, any movie, was better than watching something on a small, B&W TV screen, continuously interrupted by commercials and station identification's.

Western's were safe. They were something that the whole family could watch and identify with.

Today, the studio's find that they would rather make fewer movies every year and spend more to produce and market each of them.

Even back in the 70's, a typical studio movie budget was only two or three million dollars.

Science fiction movies were costly to produce and pre-Star Wars, were avoided by the studio's, whose exec's never liked them anyway.

wayneklein likes this.
  22. Very true (well, that changed when they learned they could be profitable all of which began in the 50’s and 60’s with films like The Day a The Eaeth Stood Still and 2001) about the budget for most of these films but they were limited by physical effects that could be quite difficult to produce convinc8ngly even then When Worlds Collide and War of the Worlds were very much A budgeted movies). Science fiction films were looked at before Star Wars as films that could do well only when there were a small n7mber of them. Now we see a number of mixed genre films where a comedy can also be a comic book movie or a science fiction film can be a (intentional) comedy. As with the original Star Trek films, more serious science fiction films tend not to do quite as well as pulpy space operas like Star Wars. Same with comic book movies—the creative folks and studio folks have figured out a way to make these comic book films (taken from the plots of the comics themselves) into a mishmash of genre expand8ng their scope, appeal and making them less carbon copies of each other (Captain America: Winter Soldier combining the elements of a comic book movie with a political thriller like Three Days of the Conor, etc.).

23. SandAndGlass

As a child, born in the 50's, I didn't get to see the science fiction movies of that decade in the theater's. But I did, as a young child, grow up watching science fiction movies from the 50's, on TV, during the early 60's.

It is interesting, how science fiction pretty much all but disappeared during the 60's. A movie here or there, but it was pretty much dead as a genera, until Star Wars hit it big.

Even when Gene Roddenberry pitched Star Trek to the studio exec's, he used the analogy of "Wagon Train to the Stars". "Wagon Train" being a big Western staple of TV, back in those day's.

It is interesting how you mention pulp science fiction. It's true, the pulp stuff does way better than attempts at real science fiction.

Growing up on comic books, the story lines were "serious" story lines. At least, as serious as you can get for a comic book story.

Today, you can be all over the place with the movie character's.

I sort of think that comic book movie's are the twenty first century version of comic book's themselves.

24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

When did it not?

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Cost $300M, plus $100M for marketing, and made $873M. That's not great Hollywood math. Given that it took 3 years to make, you could've invested that $400M cash and made a lot more money. So that's why heads are rolling at WB. The movie was definitely not a bomb... I think "disappointment" is a more polite word for a movie that only made $100M profit. The WB execs were seduced by the number of Marvel films that made $1.3B, $1.4B, $1.5B plus all the merchandising... but they hadn't considered why Marvel was able to do it.

Michael and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.