Chad Kassem's Big Project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stebbin, Feb 28, 2022.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

And Id bet a pretty penny that even if people have the CRs versions, if the Zep catalogue was remastered by one of our favorite mastering engineers besides Bernie, those same folks would buy them in a heartbeat if they got great reviews. That is a sure bet. No doubt.

Jimmy Cooper and MikeJedi like this.
  2. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

When did Chad say that Exodus was a sure thing?

3. Sava Dimitrov

Sava Dimitrov In My Own Write

He hasn't yet. It's still just a rumour/leak. I believe it's probably gonna happen, there's just no other option for a second Marley.

4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

youre welcome for my generation keeping Kansas alive, i am the guitar hero generation. And now we have Clone Hero which is even better.

5. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

But there is no chance for a new Chad exclusive Zeppelin mastering.

If Zeppelin is the mystery band, it would be Classic Records mastering (with its good and bad qualities).

6. Swordsandchains

you cant guarantee that, unless youre actually jimmy page spying on this forum.

MikeJedi and rockclassics like this.
  7. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

I also have those SACDs, they are awesome (except for Paranoid which is not as good as the other SACDs).

I also consider Who’s Next SHM-SACD definitive.

8. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Not a snowflakes chance in hell.

9. Swordsandchains

I believe it, but speaking in facts is silly when you dont know. But that is common around these parts.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  10. Swordsandchains

Its a shame those BS SHMSACDS are like $200+ a piece now, would love to hear them.

11. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

I don't care.

12. Dok

Dok Senior Member

You don't? Why knot?

dlb99 likes this.
  13. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Carry On Wayward Son and Dust In The Wind have about 200 million YouTube views each (nothing to sneeze at).
    For comparison, the single most viewed Steely Dan video on YouTube, Do It Again, is at just 17 million views.
    No comparison for the biggest songs goes of each band.

So, no not shocking at all with regard to Spotify streams, both bands are roughly on the same level in the rock tree legacy hierarchy, but currently far more people stream Kansas due just to those two popular songs.

And no, Chad will never do Kansas, I understand.

P.S. I have pre-ordered some of the upcoming Steely Dan myself, I am a fan, not a hater.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Tullman likes this.
  14. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

So good, except for Paranoid.
    They are straight from the master tape, absolute perfection for the imperfect recordings that they were.
    They are definitive, except again for Paranoid.
    I wish the Japanese would just reissue them, they were on sale for such a short time, why?

15. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

When asked to back up your assertion that Steely Dan were more successful and important than Kansas, by a country mile (your words), you come up with this beauty.

Haha, just like Dust in the Wind.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  16. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I would think the typical Steely Dan super fan would go for an audiophile costly pressing of an album, whereas a typical Kansas super fan would not..... so incorporate that in the numbers too.
    I would tend to also think Steely Dan may have non fans who are interested take a bite, whereas the non Kansas fans would probably not even consider it for Kansas. You can present real numbers all day, but I say unless you incorporate demographics and newbies, you might be way off base. lol

that is my opinion of course and I have no Spotify numbers to support it.

Jimmy Cooper likes this.
  17. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

I don’t want to come off as completely dismissive of the data, at the same time, those Kansas hits were both featured prominently in popular tv shows and comedy films in the 90’s and 2000’s and are listened to through a lens of cheesy kitsch by many 40 and under. It’s impossible to say the extent to which this impacts the stream/view data but it absolutely does.

I don’t say this to take a position on which bands albums and catalog are more popular but I do think it’s important to acknowledge ways in which that particular data has been influenced.

Swordsandchains likes this.
  18. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Indeed. Dan is so superior, in both their critical/cultural impact and their fusion of so many elements of American music that it's really not worth arguing against your hyperbole, which suggests that streams and album sales signify "importance". They don't, nor should they. You're arguing for popularity, which is low hanging fruit and a dubious metric for judging an artists cultural value.

And I love Kansas. But comparing them (on this level) to Steely Dan is just silly.

So yeah. Beyond this retort. I don't care.

Carry on!

Cheers!

19. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

I would buy any of the zep tiles that came out by anyone if it was a new cut.
    I also wouldn't need anyone else's opinion as to how something sounds, that's something I do for myself.
    And you can't possibly know what quote unquote all "Audiophiles" prefer as far as the Zep titles or any title. For instance I have Zep II in the Classic Records, RL, many of the US pressings, and the 2014 Super Deluxe box set. My prefered copy to listen to is the 2014 out of the box set.

An odd thing I find on this site is a lot of Groupthink, and in that they feel it's representative of something factual.

Call me the odd man out, I listen to records myself to form an opinion, and hardly ever follow a crowd. In the One Step thread people thought I hated MFSL records because for years now they haven't been impressing me at all and I'd say so. It didn't stop me from buying another title they would put out that I like, I'd still give every record a shot. Now half of those members that were drinking Kool Aid and had nothing to say other than every MFSL record was the definitive copy are re evaluating all their MFSL records. Placebo effect is a bitch, some just can't get past that and trust what they really hear, they also rely on others to tell them what they hear so we end up with Groupthink.

Intricate, ArpMoog, VQR and 4 others like this.
  20. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

I agree with that 100%.

I don't agree with this at all.

Steely Dan non-fans would have no idea who Steely Dan are (for the most part); they never really had any major hits; they were mostly a studio band (actually duo) that focused on albums primarily.

Kansas non-fans have likely heard the two big songs just through osmosis. Would they buy albums? No way. Non-fans would buy neither bands albums to be honest.

Chad ain't selling albums to the non-fans.

Note, someone here mentioned their hope for Radiohead, another Iron Maiden, and I mentioned Kansas. Why? Because I love the band and their catalogue could do with some Mofi or Analogue Productions love since existing releases kind-of stink (sound quality wise).

But I also mentioned: Aerosmith, Rush, Thin Lizzy as cool possibilities I would be on board with. Spread the audiophile release label love. I am all for it.

21. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

So your point is that there are more girls streaming and following Kansas on Youtube?

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I could see most boomers not hearing of them and same with young millennials/gen Z to middle millennials.

Someone literally posted "Who?" verbatim when the Tool Fear Innoculum thread was always on the front page.

People knew they were digital from the get go. That will get all sorts of people that think they can "hear digital" to effect what they think. The EQ on them is more agreeable than nearly all of the Classic Records. Bernie has needed someone with younger ears to be mastering with him for a long time, he was average US retirement age when the Zeppelin CR were cut, and that was eons ago.

I still think the Mingus Ah Um Mofi One Step and SACD are the best sounding versions just because Mofi were a bit tasteful with their EQ (a rarity) compared against the bright Classic Records and holy hell that is bright ORG.

Or listen to how awful the Classic Records Living Stereo Grundman LPs are compared to the tonally balanced ones Ryan K. Smith cut or the good original stampers.

23. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

In your opinion fairaintfair, in your opinion.

You can not quantify your argument so you just come up with this opinion piece because you feel it in your soul. Laughably weak effort.

Kansas were important, they were they progenitors of America progressive rock, just as important as Yes but on the other side of the Atlantic pond. To argue they are far less important than Steely Dan in the overall pantheon of rock is ridiculous. I have said it more than once, they are roughly at the same level of importance, impact, relevance and popularity (actually Kansas wins this last one quite easily these days proven by streaming stats).

P.S. I like both bands, I own many albums by both bands, I have even pre-ordered some of Chad's upcoming 2023 Steely Dan releases. I ain't against the Dan.

Haggis Wampovich and Tullman like this.
  24. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

And you know this how? (hint, made up crap).

But, let's suppose this ridiculous supposition was true; are girls listening to music less note-worthy than men with grey beards listening to Steely Dan in their audiophile approved batcaves?

25. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Kansas one top ten billboard song coming in at #6, 7 songs total in the top 40s, range between #6 & #40, 4 songs in #22 or lower
    Steely Dan three top 10 billboard 2 more coming in at #11, 10 songs total top 40s, range between #6 & #37, 8 songs in #22 or lower

Almost everything you post in this thread is coming from a mythical alternate reality. What really is a joke you're posting these fallacies incesively.
    Take a deep breath and at least learn something before posting about it, it took me only a few minutes to get these stats.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022