Chad Kassem's Big Project

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stebbin, Feb 28, 2022.

1. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

But the chance of that is seems exceedingly low.

I think the John Davis Zep remasters could well be it; the last time the catalogue is remastered.

I also suspect the Giles Martin Beatles remasters are also the end of the line; not saying they are the best; just the original mixes won't be revisited again remastering wise.

I agree, personal taste factors in, along with system matching.

My favourite Zeps are these:
    - Led Zeppelin I - US 1st pressing (but many other pressings sound good as well, nicely recorded album)
    - II - RL cut (nice and hot)
    - III - Barry Diament CD (a vexed release to get to sound right, Classic III sounds awful imo)
    - IV - Classic Records
    - HotH - Classic Records
    - PG - Classic Records
    - Presence - Classic Records

My opinion only. I don't like In Through The Outdoor and Coda; I stop at Presence.

Haha, too true.

I am waiting for Mofi's Michael Jackson Thriller SACD to arrive here. A certain German 45rpm YouTuber hated the Thriller One Step. Many in the SACD thread here like it. I have a 1st gen Japanese CD of Thriller (which sounds great). So we'll see.

Personally I don't care if Mofi used a DSD stage; DSD actually is an excellent technology

2. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Music legacies extend beyond chart positions in the 1970s.

"It's not a lie if you believe it true" is a nice argument if you are George Costanza, but it won't fly here.

More people stream Kansas in the year 2022 than stream Steely Dan.
    That is a fact.
    A provable fact.

Read carefully, 7 million monthly streams and the top two songs at around 500 million streams:

[​IMG]

And contrast with this, 4.6 million monthy streams and the top two songs at 200 million and 120 million streams each:

[​IMG]

And for those who think I am anti-Steely Dan, not true, I am a fan. I love both bands. They are roughly at the same level of importance, success and revelance. But streaming wise Kansas is more popular in the year 2022. That is a fact Jack!!

3. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

In regards to the Dan vs. Kansas debate...

If we are talking about streaming.. then why can't we discuss terrestrial radio?

In the past 16 or so years of driving to work about an hour a day, I listen to two New Orleans area radio stations... 94.3 WTIX, which is mostly oldies.. and 95.7, which is mostly classic rock.

On those two stations, I've heard:

Steely Dan: Do It Again, Dirty Work, Reelin' In The Years, Bodhisattiva, My Old School, Pearl Of The Quarter (it is New Orleans), Rikki, Black Friday, Deacon Blues, Peg, F.M., Hey Nineteen.

Kansas: Dust In The Wind, Carry On Wayward Son, Point Of Know Return

I'm going to guess that is a similar playlist for those two bands on most classic rock or oldies stations.. give or take a few.

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I never Chad exclusive. Chad isnt a mastering engineer. And not the only game in town.

Never said it wouldnt be CRs either.

I dont think theyll be done at all. But I could be wrong.

My post to you was mainly about how you are incorrect in your assertion that Zeppelin has been done to death.

Which, you are wrong about, whether you agree to it or not.

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I'm not sure this data makes the case for Audiophile vinyl, in fact, the popularity of a band on streaming platforms
    is more likely inversely proportional to bands selling expensive vinyl.

The audiophile vinyl that sells really well for AP, TP, Craft etc, are not overall popular streaming artists.
    For one personal anecdote (vs data) i've bought +1,000 audiophile records, never had any streaming account.

VQR, aorecords and Beach House like this.
  6. Beach House

Beach House Forum Resident

Just when I was going to post, “here you guys go again ruining another thread with your need to bicker about anything and everything” I figured I would join in. We need to look at Unique individual users Vs. Total times streamed and how the inclusion of Kansas songs like Dust in the Wind and Carry On in popular heavy rotation playlists like “Rock Classics” with 11 million followers while SD’s top playlist “Classic Roadtrip” only has 5 Million followers effects these numbers. If we look at the unique individual minutes spent listening to an artist which I believe correlates best with potential record sales then SD blows Kansas away 122K to 50K as evidenced by their artist playlist followers.

In other words Kansas looks more popular because Dust in the Wind is “forced” upon the masses.

What Are Monthly Listeners on Spotify (and How Many Should You Have)? | Two Story Melody

dheath and 4-2-7 like this.
  7. bmusic

bmusic Forum Resident

I’d love to see Babylon by Bus, Burnin, catch a fire or natty dread.

8. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

It's going to be Pink Floyd imo.

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the most likely to be correct one.

Steely Dan announcement 1.
    Pink Floyd announcement 2.

420JJJazz666 likes this.
  9. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I've considered myself an audiophile for 6 or 7 years and I don't recall ever reading a thread, hearing a conversation or reading an article about Kansas. Steely Dan has been constantly discussed throughout my tenure.

10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its very logical to depend on someone whom I agree with on sound quality parameters. Can save me time and money many times. I dont simply take just anyones opinion on sound quality and whether or not something is great or not.

And when clips are involved that compare with other reissues or originals its even more so helpful.

But to each their own.

However, I certainly do not trust your opinion since you reveal you prefer the 2014. So I can X you off my list of people Id trust as knowing wth you are listening for and to. But I kind of already knew this long ago.

Also, I never said that I know what ALL audiophiles prefer. I said, since you are fond of misquoting, QUOTE/ UNQUOTE:

"The Page remasters arent well recieved by many in the audiophile community." is what I stated.

Thats MANY not ALL.

And many did say they do not like the 2014's in the Zep reissue thread and all throughout the audiophile community.

So once again you let your typing get ahead of your comprehension.

I dont really participate in "groupthink". So if you are refering to me, then you are way off. Go look at the Mofi lied thread to see how "group thinkish" I am lol.

I make my own assertions and combine them based upon what I read here from people I have come to trust and proven by examples and evidence that we are in the same page concerning sound, but in the end it is my own ears and judgement that I use.

So again not sure what you are rambling on at me concerning this "groupthink" thing. Or placebo effect or anything else in your direct post to me.

And certainly I have made plenty of decisions concerning Mofi lps and whether they cut the mustard or not. Some do, some dont. So again, I have no idea why you are posting this to me of all people.

Finally, as a reminder, perhaps you should rethink your reading skills because you apparently not understand the difference between "many" and "all".

VQR likes this.
  11. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I'd be interested to know if those numbers hold to more audiophile oriented streaming service like Qobuz and Tidal.

12. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

For the record, I have no horse in this race.

13. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

I subscribe to the John Darko school of being a music first audiophile. That means listening to whatever you like, without shame, including even if poorly recorded. Though, I do love seeking out the best versions of my favourite albums.

Are some Audiophiles super into Steely Dan; sure, just as likely they love their Diana Krall or Nils Lofgren "Keith Don't Go" records as well ;)

My musical tastes and collection ranges from the Carpenters "Rainy Days and Mondays" to Slayer's "War Ensemble" and an awful lot in-between.

14. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Day 285 of not knowing what Chad Kassem’s Big Project is.

15. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I'm a music first audiophile as well. My previous statement was because we're speculating and trying to predict what a future release on an audiophile record label is going to be. I'm just saying I don't think Kansas is part of the greater audiophile conversation and because of that probably isn't AP's next big reissue series.

Mazzy likes this.
  16. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Really? It's been that long?

17. Wreckords

Wreckords Forum Resident

I agree, I didn’t think so until now. On Chads latest video someone asked about wanting to see more Pink Floyd, Alan parsons and genesis. His response was to sign up for the newsletter to here about more surprises in the pipe line.

He tends to comment only on applicable posts. He has also said how Pink Floyd would be one of the top choices. They also have some prior relationship since the have done the SACDs on the label….I think it’s going to be Floyd.

VQR and dlb99 like this.
  18. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

I agree.

95% chance it's Pink Floyd imo.

420JJJazz666 and lord K like this.
  19. FlorentinePogen

FlorentinePogen Forum Resident

If it's Floyd, who masters it? Surely it won't be Bernie Grundman, which would also make Bellman unlikely. Kevin Gray? RKS?

And most importantly, will you buy the Ummagumma UHQR?

20. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

James Guthrie is in charge of all Pink Floyd sanctioned mastering.

21. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

Like a few others here, I was stunned by the Spotify numbers. By jove, you're right: there are more people streaming Kansas than Steely Dan. But when you say "stat after stat they are on the same level," I think your stats are skewed to literally only two songs.

I looked at the Spotify list of the top ten Kansas songs. "Dust in the Wind" and "Carry on Wayward Son" have a gazillion streams (okay, it's just over a billion). The rest of Kansas' top ten songs account for under 4% of those numbers. Which is to say: 96% of their streams are for two songs.

Steely Dan's top ten was just shy of 900 million where each of the songs were more equally distributed in the tens of millions, although the top 3 were from, oddly, Can't Buy A Thrill.

At least I dont feel crazy now. In any case, I don't think Chad's going to unleash a rash of Kansas UHQR albums. If he's gonna go by Spotify numbers alone, Foreigner has Kansas and the Dan beat and we all lose.

VQR and dlb99 like this.
  22. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

Whoa, sorry I didn't realize this thread had devolved into the lasting influence of Kansas vs. Steely Dan. I was merely replying to a post upstream from a couple of days ago.

As you were.

VQR likes this.
  23. killerofgiants

killerofgiants Forum Resident

Definitely some nuance missing here with Steely Dan vs Kansas. In the audiophile world, people aren't clamoring for $125+ Kansas records. I would also bet many of those Dust and Carry On streams are the results of public playlists where the listener is just on autopilot. I implore anybody to go ask the general public who did those songs, I guarantee many won't even know who it was. By that logic, "SOFT CELL" with 5.5m monthly listeners is a bigger band than Steely Dan.

Not a hit on Kansas, but you can't take a two-hit wonder band and say there's a market for it.

24. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Kansas is the same boring stuff like Styx. AP will not do this!

AP want do LP and SACD. I doubt AP will do Pink Floyd, maybe Genesis.

Joti Cover and Mazzy like this.
  25. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Please, pulleeaase, no more Kansas/Steely Dan talk...