CHANGESNOWBOWIE. New RSD Live CD & Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by edenofflowers, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

Speaking of confusing EP titles and the Earthling era, I hope this means a liveandwell.com release might finally be coming.

2. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

No. Just songs unreleased of different periods

3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Any Release for RSD that is labeled as 'First Release' means that there will be a wide spread release within the next year. Case in point, the Elton John Live in Moscow Vinyl Record release from 2019 RSD, that has taken awhile, but finally getting a release later this month(and actually not just Vinyl but also on CD like a few Bowie Live Albums, 'Cracked Actor' and 'Welcome to the Blackout' in recent years).

If this 'ChangesNowBowie' CD is not labeled as a 'First Release', then if you want a copy, I suggest you find your way to a local Record Store participating in RSD, although how early you need to get there might depend on how many copies of this CD your local Record Store plans to ask to get from the Distributor. Bowie Vinyl Releases in recent years seem to be large enough in numbers to meet demands, even if you need to buy it later on Discogs or Ebay, but for the CD, I have no idea if the total number of copies will be on the typical higher end of 5,000-10,000.

TheLoveDrags and Colinjpush like this.
  4. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

you can already pre-order it from ebay for as little as 149 euro (not me) ;-)

5. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

So do we think that the (rather good) talkie bits will be preserved on this release?
    Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea but the tribute and questions are mostly good fun and the contribution from Scott Walker absolutely floors DB, who is rendered uncharacteristically speechless by one of his idols. It’s a moving moment.

6. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Just finished listening to the 9 track ChangesNowBowie, and I really enjoyed these reinterpretations. All acoustic guitar based although some tracks have an unplugged type electric guitar, bass, drums and Mike Garson pops up again on Aladdin Sane. Gail provides backing vocals.

JumpinJimF, BobFever and MGW like this.
  7. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Where did you listen to it? Not on Deezer as yet.

8. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I got an early copy. The highlight for me is his remake of Quicksand.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  9. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

There are two songs up on Spotify. Looks like it may be released in full on Friday.

TonyCzar and MGW like this.
  10. MGW

Three songs up on Deezer now. Repetition a week or so ago, plus Shopping For Girls and Quicksand sometime overnight.

11. Rocat

Rocat Do you realise, this world is totally fugazi.

The album is on Qobuz

[​IMG]

MGW likes this.
  12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. Tomorrow was supposed to be RSD. Wasn't this scheduled for RSD, or was that just "Soul Tour"?

Rocat likes this.
  13. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Both were due on cd and vinyl

TonyCzar likes this.
  14. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Tidal has it as well.

16. cjh

cjh Forum Resident

Out now on Apple Music too

17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Interestingly, Qobuz isn't selling downloads of CNB.

18. MGW

It is not on sale until RSD, which has been postponed until 20 June.
    It has been made available for streaming early, more or less on the original date for RSD.

TonyCzar likes this.
  19. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It will be the same as Is It Any Wonder? Physical and streaming only. No downloads.

20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'm okay with running in and out of a store 06/20 to pick up in-stock merch, assuming a good public health trend begins at some point in the near future, but even then, I can say right now, I'm not standing in line for a couple of CDs. Will wait for the eventual wide releases.

21. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Im thinking that as the CD release is on RSD, there won’t be a wide release at all

22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Shame. I streamed the whole thing on Tidal and like it very very much. It's VERY good. Fortunately, I "procured" the b00tl3g when CNB was announced. It probably doesn't sound as good as the official release, but I never got around to listening until the official release dropped on Tidal.

In just the year I was finally willing to endure RSD antics, RSD antics become unendurable.

MGW likes this.
  23. MGW

Yes, I know what you mean, 20 June not keen on the social mingling that entails! Maybe overstocks will be available after the event but I am not convinced of that.

24. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

So I'm having a hard time contextualizing ChangesNowBowie and Is It Any Wonder? together.

If I'm understanding correctly, ChangesNowBowie is a self-contained BBC radio show performance recorded in Jan 1997. And it's unplugged in nature.

But I think my confusion is that Is It Any Wonder? is all from 1997 too, and it's also all re-recorded gems. Is It Any Wonder is all taken from later sessions in 1997, then? (except for Man Who Sold the World, which is the same cut on both releases). Was there a specific purpose to these sessions, other than just having fun recording new arrangements of existing material?

Any Wonder is less acoustic than ChangesNow, I know, but they're similar in lots of ways. (And clearly he was in a re-arranging/re-recording mood in the late 90s, with the unreleased Toy project right around the corner.) But to me, these seem like they should have been combined into one release, as they're similar artistically and from the same era. The fact that they wanted to keep them separate but release them only weeks apart suggests to me that they are clearing the way for a 90s box set. (But I do hope that the Tin Machine stuff doesn't get short shrift in the box set project -- if my calculations are correct, 1989-1997 would probably be too much material for one box set to cover).

MGW likes this.
  25. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Looking to maximise revenue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.