Changing my System to New Wyred 4 Sound Phono and STI-1000 Intergrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by macster, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macster

macster Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am replacing my CJPV5 and MF2500A with these items, and no, I haven't listened to them. But I have no doubt that they will work well with my Vandy 3A Signatures. I did a lot of research before making this move and based on the data, it seems like a very low risk move, for right now, because in my experience it'sreally hard to get a bad musical presentation thru Vandersteen speakers, which was one of the main reasons that I purchased them.

I also ordered the power cable to go along with the new items. My reasons for going with Wyred 4 Sound, are;

1. They were willing to configure the integrated amp with two tape monitor circuits which I need.
    2. Customer service, wow, they were super responsive in answering my emails.
    3. My PV5 was not cost effective to repair and they recommended that I get an ET6, which with the phono stage option would painful ($$$$$) right now.
    I am going to keep my MF2500A (with it's slight hum) and if this purchase doesn't work, I'll go for the ET6 next year.
    I have had a real desire to go with an integrated amp for awhile, but finding one with the features that I needed was hard to do.

Like the man said "moving on is so hard to do"

NOT!

M~

bluemooze likes this.
  2. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

I agree that Vandersteen plays well with lots of different gear. I'll be interested in your impression of the class d gear as I still have not heard any that has the soul and depth of tubes. it sounds as though you are keeping your options open so you're good regardless.

bluemooze and Helom like this.
  3. macster

I'll let you know.

M~

4. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I thought Bel Canto had lots of soul....I love it!

5. Slippers-on

kindly report back on the phono please?

6. macster

NP

The phono was actually not in the plans, as I didn't think that it could fit in the budget. I asked if he could make me something as good as the Lounge Gold. So, I guess we'll see.

M~

bluemooze and Slippers-on like this.
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Have been super happy with my w4s mpre!

8. macster

Do you use the W4S interconnects or power cables. I ordered the P1 power cable also, which I will use after the unit "breaks in," then I will do a shoot out between it and the PS Audio Statement power cable that I have.

M~

9. Slippers-on

Great! This should be fun! Im a huge fan of testing interconnects , speaker wire and power cords. But be warned...many here arent so kind to the idea.

macster likes this.
  10. macster

Ha! I bet that's going to keep us at night. Anyway to set the stage, I am using a NAD3020 as my preamp and it's feeding my CJMF2500A. I'm using my Aries 3/10.5i tonearm/Shure M97XE Jico SAS. All of the components are connected to a Furman Elite-20PFI. The sound IMO is okay, but nothing like it was with the PV5 in the system, which made me sit for hours listening to all kinds of music.

M~

11. Slippers-on

The 3020 isn't in the same class of amp as the PV5..so I'm not surprised.

12. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Nope, just the preamp. I use blue jeans for all of my cabling

13. macster

Thanks

M~

14. macster

Okay an update;
    1. The phono stage is very neutral and dynamic. It is also extremely flexible and is affected by the interconnects from the turntable. However, I would not recommend this phonostage for everyone, it's not that kind of device. I would recommend it to someone whom wants a flexible, neutral and sonically gratifying phonostage. With the AudioSensibility (Statement) cables the presentation is very natural. Darko has a review here which provides a great description of the unit and one that I happen to agree with. Also, the flexibility, the flexibility, the flexibility,, wow. It's so nice to be able to fine tune things.
    2. The integrated amp:
      1. It's 95% of what I wanted which was an integrated amp with two tape monitor loops. Hell, even finding one with one tape monitor loop is next to impossible. What they for me was to customize the inputs via the software so that I could have the two tape monitor loops, but... it works like this. First of all there are 5 inputs, with input 1 being a balanced input.
        1. On my amp unit is set up so that input 2 always has the monitor output on input 4 and input 3 always has the monitor output on input 5.
        2. So I run monitor the phonostage output (or use input 4 as tape in and use input 3 as tape out). That takes care of 3 of my 8 cassette decks. The Dragon will be used as a playback only unit (for now) so it will be hooked to input 5.
    3. Sonics, ummm sonically things sound like my CJ setup with greater clarity and dynamics. Soundstage and depth are great, as a matter of fact I was able to lock in my speaker setup.

4. Future plans, I am going to upgrade to the STI 1000V2 and will use the balanced input for phono and see If I can get inputs 2&4 set up to monitor input1.
    5. My units were both demo units and I got a brandnew upgraded powercord.
    6. Again, these units are not for everyone, they have very very little sonic colorations and matching them to the correct interconnect is important. At some point in time I will insert the Blue Jeans LC1's back in and listen to them for a bit.

M~

Slippers-on likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.