Chappaquidick anyone?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lightworker, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I think that the Kennedys' fascinate us more than any other family in U.S.history.

2. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Not surpassed by the Kardashians just yet but give it a few years :)

Lightworker likes this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I already saw it, in Brian De Palma’s Blow Out. ;)

4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I think there is definitely a 'big film' to be made about Chappaquiddick (one of those instantly memorable names whose unusualness resonates down the decades - just like Mary Jo Kopechne).

The ramifications of the event were huge - and it did pose the question: how would a man who fatally panicked over a car accident react in an international crisis?

It also marked a dismal full-stop to the decade that had begun with such hope for the Kennedy family. Joe Kennedy died the same year.

A shame if the film is dull because it seeks to be objective. But E.K. has been dead for less than a decade and I'd imagine several interested parties are still living.

I don't suppose the full facts about the case will ever be known.

BEAThoven, Lightworker and Borgia like this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, this has that OTHER guy from The Office. :)

Dudley Morris likes this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I meant another guy, sorry.

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

No worries - just commenting on the coincidence!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

No interest now.

Maybe 30 years ago.

Grant and Lightworker like this.
  9. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident Thread Starter

A film about this incident had the same chance of being made 30 years ago as
    a herd of feral pigs suddenly sprouting wings and flying up Roger Waters' bu**.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    arley and Comet01 like this.
  10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I'm surprised this film even got green-lit by Hollywood almost 40 years after the fact. Not surprised no A list actors are in the film.

Dudley Morris and Lightworker like this.
  11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

It went beyond "how would a man who fatally panicked over a car accident react in an international crisis?". It begged questions about the depth of Ted Kennedy's moral and physical cowardice and self indulgence, and his and his family's deceit and dishonourable character.

I think you're correct in that the full facts of the case will never be known. No-one on the Kennedy side will divulge anything and there were rumours that despite their palpable anger towards the Kennedy family, the Kopechne family was bullied and paid off for their silence and promise not to instigate any legal action.

12. Lightworker

The Kopechne family wasn't exactly 'bullied' into not pursuing an autopsy for their murdered daughter...
    but there was some 'under-the-radar' persuasion involved by some dude named (shhhhhh...) Richard Cushing.

13. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Actually.. 50 years!

Jack White and Lightworker like this.
  14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Good documentary on the incident, made 25 years after it happened:

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Yes. Thanks for correcting that.

As a boy I can remember this being in the news.

crp207 likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

From the outside looking in, I just can't see it as a movie that would have been greenlighted, filmed, or even released. What if you don't look at it as a "film", or even a "docu-drama", but rather another chance for one side of our, "public discourse", to bring up a shameful incident in history, and this time hang all the polarizing talk and mischaractarization that's easier to express in media today, than back in 1970, when our "public discourse" was more polite. What if you sidestep the project itself, and focus instead on an intended result of all the "topical" public discussion that can be used to throw more shade against a powereful family, respected more by one side of the "public discourse" than the other side, hoping this time around, some of it sticks.

If you think this is far-fatched...just how many other "car-crashes-and-kills-innocent-passenger" films have you seen released in your lifetime, that doesn't involve a Kennedy? The presence of that figure, is the only thing that flips this dog-bites-man plot into man-bites-dog territory. Anybody can suffer an unintended accident; but few can also boast an excuse to attach irrelevant opinions and character judgments to such an accident.

Or - OR! - maybe it's all a covered-up conspiracy, and there was a SECOND guard-rail...:yikes:

Anybody has a right to make a movie, but that right doesn't come with a right to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

Lightworker likes this.
  17. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Actually it's a great story for a movie, even if the actual event never happened. Powerful Senator is involved in an accident resulting in the death of an aide, and the efforts to deal with that after the fact. It's a great story for a political suspense thriller.

dalem5467, mrjinks, bldg blok and 3 others like this.
  18. Lightworker

Making such films (if they are relatively fact-based) is about as 'dangerous' as yelling "Theater!" in a crowded firehouse. Viva free speech.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

...have you met the guy over in the other thread who thinks turning Paul Simon's Graceland into a mix album, was a good idea...?

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I found one when we visited the old man's relatives in the coal regions. I knew a great scam when I saw it. "Hey Dad, here's that magazine that makes fun of Teddy. Gimmee two bucks." Oyea, he'll bite for that. Actually, I didn't think much of the issue as a whole, much better stuff in the individual issues. Eventually sold it for around 2 or 3 bucks over what I/he paid for it.

21. arley

arley Forum Resident

Something I always wondered about free speech: in a crowded symphony hall, is it permitted to shout "de Falla"?

Lightworker likes this.
  22. Lightworker

[​IMG]

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So the investigators in this film think Mary Jo was driving the car. The story goes that a policeman going home spotted Kennedy and Kopechne were "parked" and when the policeman came up behind Kennedy's car, the sped off because he was 1) under the influence and 2) a married man "parked" with young girl. They speculate Kennedy handed over the wheel to Kopechne and walked home, which Kopechne crashing the car on her own. Apparently witnesses saw Kennedy looking very calm and friendly the next morning until to friends came up and whisked him away, presumably telling him she crashed the car and was killed, upon which he was suddenly shaken before witnesses.

However, it's hard to believe they couldn't come up with a better excuse than to make him a "hero" by having him say in was in the car and tried to save her. Who would think that's a better story than saying she borrowed the car and crashed?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  24. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Man, I so loved National Lampoon in those years!

arley likes this.
  25. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

that theory makes absolutely zero sense. how could he have reported the crash if he wasn't in the car?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.