Characters getting “knocked out” in films and TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, May 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

It just occurred to me that it's a long time since I saw a "knockout" in a film or on TV, and that's most likely due to what I choose to watch or not watch. It's not that I specifically avoid movies that might have a knockout scene, more that those are not the kind of movies that interest me much anyway. "Action" movies generally bore the you-know-what out of me.

2. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Not too off topic but ......how come nobody ever explained as to why Superman ducked when the gun was thrown at him

[​IMG]

Gumboo, Linger63, JediJones and 2 others like this.
  3. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Alias tried to make this more realistic by the use of tranquilizer darts but, you guessed it, the victim always fell unconscious two seconds after the dart hit them. At least they came up with something new.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

"If looks could kill, they probably will."

5. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

In some of those old Westerns, 1 shot from a cowboy and a dozen Indians fall off their horses. I'm guessing they weren't seriously hurt.

6. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

I don't know that killing is any better dramatically than getting knocked out.

I watch these shows like 24 or Fargo, where over half the main and guest cast winds up dead over the course of the season, and it just takes me out of it how much killing there is. Whatever your scheme is, good guy or bad, don't you value your life more than that? It just makes the characters pieces on a chess board, they're moved around and killed for plot purposes, but the character motivation isn't believable.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  7. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Hitchcock made that point with the scene at the beginning of Torn Curtain where Paul Newman kills the East German agent who's trailed him. Having said that, I'm not sure a scene like that quite works dramatically; it could make an audience start laughing. Storytelling conventions exist for a reason.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

He doesn’t want a black eye. (The actor not Superman.)

9. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

I always get a kick out of the Bruce Lee nunchuck scene in the alley. If you hit someone a solid whack in the head, they are not getting up. I grazed my ear once with a practice foam pair and thought I was gonna die from the pain.

10. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Never been knocked out. Took a shot to the head playing football. I remember somebody holding my face mask and asking me questions. I was trying to look at the scoreboard when they asked me who we were playing. Kept me out of the game after that. Had a concussion as a kid. The feeling of your brain moving inside your skull is one you never forget. Had a serious headache for two weeks. No matter what I took it didn’t help.

11. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Nonsense. Jackie Chan never gets knocked out. Oh sure, he may break his skull, sternum, ankle, shoulder, nearly lose an eye, etc. But unconsciousness? Don't be such a sissy.

davidb1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.