Charade on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -=Rudy=-, May 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

We covered this partially elsewhere, but I still don't want to drop big bucks on the Criterion DVD.

However, my ex rented The Truth About Charlie. Someone at the studio must have known this remake movie sucked, since on the flip side, they put the original Charade in all its letterboxed glory.

I viewed Charade for a few minutes on the computer, and to me it looks pretty good. (Seemed like a clean transfer with good color and contrast.) Anyone here have both versions--in other words, am I missing anything by not getting the Criterion? I can get this DVD for under $10 used, whereas all the recent auctions I followed for the Criterion edition probably closed at over $50. For a movie, $50 is just way too rich for my blood. I don't need any extras (documentary, stills, etc.)...just the film.

2. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

commentary

one thing you're missing on the criterion version is a great commentary track with director stanley donan and screen-writer peter stone. more important now, in light of stone's death last week.

later, chris

3. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Rudy, almost every Blockbuster or Hollywood Video I've everr been in has had the Criterion for rent, if you're really curious.

They do visual comparisons of a number of films over at DVDBeaver.com, including the Criterion vs. Universal version found on "The Truth About Charlie." For those without inclination to visit the site, the nod still goes to the Criterion, though the Universal print is highly watchable.

Personally, I love that commentary, one of the funniest I've heard, but is it worth the extra dough... to you? Who knows. You may be satisfied hearing it just one time, which is why I suggest renting first.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The site is useful, but sometimes a bit unwieldy to navigate. Here's a direct link to their Charade comparison page.

Regards,

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Hey Rudy,

The Criterion 'Charade' shouldn't be too difficult to track down for list price, etc. I've seen that title every now and then in NY and also online. Keep your eyes peeled. If I see anyother one I'll let you know...

Todd

6. -=Rudy=-

I did notice on the computer monitor that the Universal was darker and had less contrast (in comparison to other films), which DVDBeaver pretty much confirmed in their comparison. What exactly was list price on the Criterion? (I'm the type who thinks $25 for ANY single-disc movie is pushing it. ;) )

7. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

As mentioned in the other thread, many Best Buys still have the Criterion for $29.95.

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

100% true! Now it's a bit of a different story if we're talking about 'Salo' or 'The Killer'... :)

Todd

9. -=Rudy=-

I went into a local Best Buy (under duress, I might add) but did not see one. The DVD section in their stores is so poorly laid out, I hate browsing it. Their website has your basic $6.99 crap version.

Interesting that the soundtrack has been remastered by JVC using that XRCD process. I'm sure it's better than RCA's CD from the late 80's.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Rudy,
    I finally got a chance to see the "B-Side" Charade release from "The Truth About Charlie" DVD. It is actually pretty good. The Criterion beats it in terms of color and density as illustrated by the still frames referenced above, but if you have a widescreen TV or a TV with a 16:9 enhanced mode, the extra detail in the anamorphic transfer of the Universal release makes it more of a trade-off than the stills would suggest. The Criterion audio sounded a bit better to me, but the Universal is not bad (the film has a lot of dialog dubbed in post-production from the Paris location shots, so the synchronization has always seemed a bit wonky)

Both versions have the restored "assasinated" line that was dubbed over in the film's original release because of the then recent Kennedy assasination. One of the best parts of the Criterion commentary is when Stanley Donen hears from Peter Lord that they have made this change, and reacts in such a way that indicates he was not aware of it and is not sure it was such a good idea to restore it. :)

If you can't find the Criterion, the Universal is not such a bad way to go. If you spot a used or cheap copy, you could do a lot worse.

As for the remake? It just doen't seem to hit the right notes. The whole reason the original worked is because Cary Grant played the part like a magician using charm to keep you distracted from all of the aces hiding up his sleeve. Audrey Hepbrn also sold her reaction to this well, and both performances had to be good to prevent you from thinking that Hepburn was an idiot for not seeing through him immediately. In the remake, Wahlberg is given almost no opportunity to be charming (or he was and the director didn't like it and shortened all of the dialog scenes), and as a result, Newton appears to be a simpleton. In other words, the plot steamrolls through the romance/flirting, oblivious to the fact that it was the most essential element to make the plot work for an audience. I have seen other reviews where the stars were crticized for having no chemistry, but they were never really given a chance to develop it.

It's not the total train-wreck that some have described, but it certainly pales next to the film it remakes.

Regards,

11. -=Rudy=-

Ken--good deal. :)

The stills, I agree, can't tell everything, but I did notice on the computer that the Universal's picture was softer and not quite as contrasty. Without the other version to compare it to, the Universal will probably be fine. I've seen these commonly listed at half.com or amazon.com, used, for under $10.

Alas, a new roof and basement waterproofing on the house later this summer will pretty much wipe out any widescreen TV plans. :(

12. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

this an interesting--and important--note since the criterion version of 'CHARADE' is NOT enhancened for widescreen TVs, something the company took a little heat for at the time.

later, chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.