Charity (thrift) shop DVD hunting

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

CD / Video Game Exchange:

Ex Machina - $2
    Saving Mr. Banks - $2
    The Bells Of St. Mary's - $2
    Magnificent Ambersons - $2
    Life Is Beautiful - $2
    Talk Radio - $3
    Clockwork Orange (2 disc) - $2
    Simpsons Season 11 - $10
    X-Files Season 8 (sealed) - $15

Video Games Express:

Logan - $2
    Children Of Men - $2
    Midnight Express - $2
    Children Of Dune (2 disc) - $5
    Inglorious Basterds - $2
    Robot Chicken Season 2 (2 disc) - $5
    X-Files: Fight The Future - $2
    Cleopatra (3 disc) - $5

& Paying Tribute to Marilyn (RIP) over at Everybody's Records:

Work of Director Stéphane Sednaoui - $8
    Joni Mitchell - Shadows And Light - $12
    Rolling Stones - Four Flicks - $20

MC Rag, Lee Davis, Dave S and 3 others like this.
  2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The Lost Boys, U.S. BD, £2.00 at Barnardo’s:

[​IMG]

3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Seasons 1, 2, & 4 of 'King of Queens', $2.00 each. Not my very favorite show or anything, but I've seen a few of them in syndication, and liked it enough that buying these should be okay for 'something different to watch' on occasion. I wish the former owner hadn't lost the little booklets that go with them though... At the same thrift store, I found the Blu-Ray 70th anniversary edition of 'The Wizard of Oz'...

4. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

A nice find this sunny morning in the local chazza...

[​IMG]

5. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Forum Resident

My DVD collecting is focused primarily on classic Hollywood and mostly forgotten 80's movies. For the first time in months, I ran into a good batch on the DVD side of of my thrifting. First two rows in the second picture are sealed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Got this at the Salvos for $10. I've already watched the whole thing so it was worth it.

7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Geez...love that 'spoiler' cover.

SirCandy, MC Rag and Grand_Ennui like this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The same picture's on the disc and the menu.

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Mad Magazine did a spoof of The Sergeant' called 'The Odd Gent'

GunsOfBrixton likes this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I guess they figure it's such a well known and iconic ending that everyone is familiar with it.

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Escape has a picture of baby Caesar on the disc. There's more spoilers in the packaging than anywhere else.

12. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow!

13. Grand_Ennui

The packaging of mine is different, but I remember buying the 'POTA' 5 movie collection w/ documentary before I even owned a DVD player... This would have been around 1998ish...

14. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Since I bought it I've seen a 5 disc one without the documentary and another one with different packaging. All in thrift shops and markets.

GunsOfBrixton and Grand_Ennui like this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Those are all from the same day of thrifting? Same store, or more than one stop?

16. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Forum Resident

All from one stop. I had an even better stop at the same store about 6 months ago (better because it had a few Criterion titles and rarities). This type of DVD bundle is is pretty rare for me, though.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. Grand_Ennui

That's a great haul from one store... The most I ever bought in one single stop was probably around 10, certainly no more than 12...

18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Rarely do you see DVDs of that quality. Normally it is Mean Girls or Hangover part 1 and 2, or something similar, often with multiple copies.

19. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

A couple of cheap-and-cheerful BD finds yesterday afternoon:

[​IMG]

The Adjustment Bureau, 99p at BHF
    Green Zone, 99p at BHF

20. Grand_Ennui

Very true: As a matter of fact, one of the thrifts I went into the other day had at least 6 copies of one of those "Sex and the City" movies, all neatly stacked next to each other...

21. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Saw, the movie series, multiples of just about all of them. Incredibly common.

Anything Kubrick, Oliver Stone, Tarantino, Hitchcock or Welles is an automatic buy for me as I'm slowly completing my collection of their work. Though, I rarely find any Welles. I have Kane, Ambersons and It's All True so far. I'm definitely on the look out for just about anything 40s to 70s, providing I'm somewhat interested in the title. I'm pretty much set on 80s, 90s, 00s dvd-wise. It's a really fun hobby, getting these discs dirt cheap when I'd have paid $20 or more to get them back in the day. Probably 90% of the time the discs look perfect, maybe a tiny, tiny scratch. I buy a 10-pack of new dvd cases for $3 and throw out any mangled cases. End up with basically a perfect copy.

22. Grand_Ennui

^^^ Regarding Tarantino, I see his 'Inglorious Bastards' (sp?) the most of any of his stuff on DVD (and I bought a copy of it at a thrift)... 'Pulp Fiction' I've actually seen on VHS way more than disc, but that's not surprising, since that film was a hit when VHS was still a huge selling format...

Kubrick- The usual suspects of '2001' and 'Full Metal Jacket', with 'The Shining' showing up on occasion, and 'Clockwork Orange' I've seen once... The rest of his films, I don't recall seeing, though they may have been there and snatched up before I seen them...

Oliver Stone- I have seen his stuff on occasion, but other than 'The Birds' I don't recall any Hitchcock, nor do I recall anything by Welles. (But, as with Kubrick, it doesn't mean they were never there, just that I myself didn't see them-they were probably there and either snapped up by a film buff, or a flipper).

Regarding buying DVD cases- At one thrift I went to, they had paper grocery bag grab bags full of DVDs for $10.00 each, and I bought three of them, which ended up being over 60 DVDs. I picked out the few DVDs I thought looked interesting, and donated the rest to another thrift I shop: There were an awful lot of Hallmark Movies and romantic comedy types, so nothing of interest to me. I should have just threw the DVDs out and kept the cases! I wasn't thinking with that one.

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I see lots of public domain Hitchcock stuff, mainly box sets with Rich and Strange and other British films.

GunsOfBrixton and Grand_Ennui like this.
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

The Supergrass is a double, the Oasis is a bootleg. $1 each. They had hundreds, Kean, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple etc all a buck.

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, I see plenty of copies of Saw.

GunsOfBrixton, Mylene and Cokelike- like this.