Charity (thrift) shop DVD hunting

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Interesting. I will take a look. I looked at several choices, including using blu-ray. com and an app called dvdprofiler but none seemed quite right for me.

But on the book collecting side of things I am really happy with an app called 'My Bookshelf' that I found in google app store. If you read the reviews you can see the creator responds to nearly all of them. He actually seems to care about making a useful, workable, quality app. This app is free.

I've already cataloged over 400 of my books. This is an really easy process. You can scan the barcode and it'll bring up a picture of the cover along with nearly everything else you'd want to keep track of: title, subtitle, author, publisher, edition, page number, genre, etc. He's added places to track how much of the book you've read, where when and how much you paid for the book, and so on. Its extremely handy. (You can also add a book manually). You can add tags, and separate out your books into 'shelves'. Imo, its just perfect. You'll see complaints among the reviews that you are asked to register an account, but this is only to facilitate transferring your book information to another phone when you get a new phone. You can skip this part. That's what I did. After you've added books you can sort them, just like discogs, by title, or year, by author, etc. What's the oldest book I own? So far it's a book from 1967. It's pretty neat for a free app. I love scrolling down and seeing all the book covers. If there is a book cover missing, you can take a picture and he's even added this great little tilt feature so you can make the cover picture look perfectly straight.

2. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Forum Resident

Good tip on the book app! Avoid DVD Profiler - that's the one I had and was happy with for several years, but the developer no longer supports it and it's essentially useless now. Shame, because it was pretty good and I had all my movies there.

Cokelike- likes this.
  3. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Started to watch the Blackadder Goes Forth DVD yesterday evening; had to turn it off after ten minutes because of the appalling canned laughter. Some people online insist that it was recorded in front of a studio audience. Well, that may be so, but it's certainly been 'enhanced' with canned laughter.

The worst canned laughter since M*A*S*H.

4. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

This app is excellent and I am now scanning my books into it. Thank you. Question: can I export everything into a list?

5. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

I believe so...

Settings-> Import & Export-> Export -> choice of csv, tsv or html

Haven't tried this at all though. Still working through my collection.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  6. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Thanks.

Cokelike- likes this.
  7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Missed a Bette Davis DVD boxed set by 10 seconds in Barnardo’s: someone grabbed it before I could.

8. AlmostHeavenWV

At the Emmaus charity shop, Preston, I spotted this storage rack for 64 DVDs. £15, which I was happy to pay, as I've been needing extra storage space. Box sets will have to stacked up at either side, or on top. Just need to give the base a clean before filling it up.

[​IMG]

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

The Essential Clash
    The Clash Live
    Rude Boy
    Punk Attitude (2 discs)
    AU$2 each

10. AlmostHeavenWV

A couple in Carnforth this morning.

Carry On Sergeant, starring William Hartnell, the first Doctor Who, for 50p
    Morecambe and Wise, from 1970, 99p

[​IMG]

11. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Just to follow up on this, I looked at some info on Library Thing and it doesn't appear to be a whole lot different from My Bookshelf. Let me know if you have some opinions on the differences between the two of them.

Ideally, I'd love an app that works like Discogs for films. For example, most movies have at least 2 or more dvd releases. You have the so called bare bones edition, the special edition, unrated edition, etc. Just as Discogs can tell you how many vinyl releases there are for an album, I'd love to know the same for dvds and blurays. Am I buying a dvd that is non-anamorphic? Was there a later, better edition of this dvd? This isn't something I absolutely have to have, but it would be nice.

Until then, I'm planning on scanning in my dvds to the My Bookshelf app. The app is really supposed to be for books of course, but I've found that it will call up a dvd cover when the bar code is scanned so at least I'll be able to have a record of what I have visually on my phone. Where you would put in the number of book pages, you can fill in the number of film runtime minutes. Under author, you can fill in the directors name, etc. So it's not a perfect fit, but it'll work for me.

BeSteVenn and Mylene like this.
  12. Dave Gilmour's Cat

[​IMG]
    Two today for 50p each:
    Deliverance
    +
    All the President’s Men

Never seen either before.

13. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Both good.
    'All The President's Men' is a little dry and it's best enjoyed if you know the players.
    As for 'Deliverance'..."Squeal like a pig!"

14. AlmostHeavenWV

Can anyone in the UK suggest where I can buy smoked plastic sheeting to hang over the fronts of my DVD and CD storage racks, and also LPs that aren't in boxes? Different sized sheeting is needed now that I've just moved things around at home, to try to minimise fading to spines.

15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I've never seen 'All the President's Men', but I do own 'Deliverance'... Like Wildest cat said, it's a good film.

Though I've seen it before then, I remember when Burt Reynolds died, I watched 'Deliverance' in tribute to him.

16. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Thanks. Looking forward to watching both of these at the weekend.

17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Deliverance plays a lot better if you've got a 'purty' mouth.

18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

[​IMG]

Six new ones today:
    • Calamity Jane
    • Drop Dead Gorgeous
    • Eat Pray Love
    • Layer Cake
    • Lovely Bones
    • The Queen

Any good stuff here?

19. Wildest cat from montana

'The Queen' is good and a timely purchase.
    'Drop Dead Gorgeous' is a quirky dark comedy with a watch.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  20. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

my wife watched Eat pray Love. She said there wasn't much praying going on.

21. AlmostHeavenWV

Calamity Jane should be an enjoyable watch.

BeSteVenn and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  22. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

£1 each
    I can distinctly remember my gran taking me (4) and my older brother (6) to see Walkabout at our local cinema when it came out . It’s probably the first time I went to the cinema ( that or Dougal & The Blue Cat) . It seemed like the size of Wembley Stadium . I loved the film and left the cinema in floods of tears distraught at them getting lost in the desert. 50 years later I’m still going to the cinema regularly and occasionally tearful - thankfully not as distraught as when I was 4.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
  23. AlmostHeavenWV

99p for Bird - if nothing else, the soundtrack should be good.

[​IMG]

24. Wildest cat from montana

'Bonnie and Clyde' is a 60s classic.
    Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway at their best.

25. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

As I recall on the Bird soundtrack there was some controversy as they put parker solos over new backup

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.