Charles Schulz Appreciation Thread (Charlie Brown / Peanuts)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Apr 28, 2011.

1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I had a Charlie Brown teddy bear as a kid..... they were everywhere

2. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

[​IMG]

Charles Schulz had a knack for making the simplistic, mundane and ordinary brilliant.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Charlie Brown taught me you don't have to be popular or successful to be a good person who cares about others.

Thank you, Charles.

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

You're in The Paris Review, Charlie Brown!

The Deceptive Simplicity of Peanuts

5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Jupiter8 here from THE FUTURE to state I like the latest incarnation of "Nancy"!

6. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Has anyone read that book collecting the PEANUTS original comic-book material done for Dell Comics in the Fifties (generally - but not absolutely - without Schulz's participation. though approved by him)? " non-canon " Peanuts, I guess!:D!

7. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Rolled over by Beethoven!:angel::laughup::kilroy:

danasgoodstuff and Scooterpiety like this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

The greatest comic strip in the English language

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

10. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

If Lee Mendelson had not heard "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" on a taxicab radio, few would have ever heard the music of Vince Guaraldi.

Rest easy, Mr. Mendelson.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Mendelson helped generate billions in royalties for Guaraldi's estate because of radio play every December. Probably the greatest unintentional benefactor to the art of bossa nova in history, in some respects. Not to mention the shot in the arm his little cartoon special, brought the field of television animation. I'm surprised I don't know much about his career beyond this. But in my passion for animation and music, these two would be enough. I hope he had a rich and satisfying life.

12. Scope J

13. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

14. pig bodine

15. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...I love Peanuts!

Keith V likes this.
  16. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I thought about the cannibalism thing the very first time I saw it!
    The 'Charlie Brown' thing reminded me that there are a couple of strips within the same storyline were Peppermint Patty calls him "Charlie Brown" instead of "Chuck". I always wondered why that was. Did Schulz just slip up or did he do it intentionally for whatever reason? I don't know of any other instance where PP calls him "Charlie Brown", though there very well might be. I stopped reading the strip regularly after about 1980 and
    could easily have missed it.

Speaking of cannibalism, there is the WB cartoon where Daffy is drooling with hunger when Pilgrim Porky recites the menu for his Thanksgiving turkey dinner, as Daffy hides the fugitive turkey in a snowman. Daffy loses his willpower, literally turns into a "stool pigeon" and reveals the location of the turkey ("Quisling!") To Porky.
    Another cartoon has Daffy as an annoying door to door salesman giving away a free complete turkey dinner to two starving snowbound "Yosemite Sam" brothers(?) whom, until this point, were attempting to cook and eat Daffy.
    There are also a few other Daffy cartoons where he is seen munching on a turkey (or chicken) leg!
    Nothing to do with Peanuts I know! :laugh:

Scope J and Keith V like this.
  17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Started rereading Lee Mendelssohn’s book on the Making of CB Christmas. Great stuff. (Although it has some hyperbole in my opinion)

18. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I had Peanuts sheets and pillow cases on my bed when I was a kid. I also had a Hallmark stand-up cutout roughly 3' of Snoopy dancing
    hanging on my wall. I wonder whatever happened to that. Come to think of it, what happened to all of the dozens of Peanuts paperbacks as well as games and other stuff I had way back then. It's weird how things just seem to vanish over the years. They have to go somewhere!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I watched a short doc on the making of the Thanksgiving special (called something like, "Buttered Toast, Popcorn and Jelly Beans") where they talk about Woodstock eating turkey caused heated discussions during production.

Scooterpiety and Keith V like this.
  20. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

WOW. It’s been THAT long?

Our library has the cartoons collected by decade on DVD
    and it was fun to realize several of The ‘60s cartoons that
    have rarely aired since then.

I remember seeing “Charlie Brown’s All Stars” and wondered
    when that last aired. You’d THINK it would play around the
    annual start of MLB, nope. Some of us remember it was the
    second cartoon aired, NOT “The Great Pumpkin”. I’ve watched
    “A Charlie Brown Christmas” for over 50 years and I didn’t
    know that! There’s a coupla others I didn’t remember at all.

“… Blanket” is a nice and worthy return to form and it helps that
    some old characters return after being retired for decades.

I miss Charles Schultz and his wonderful take on childhood.

21. pig bodine

22. Scope J

23. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

As a cartoonist myself, I absolutely love his work!

Exotiki and Scope J like this.
  24. Scope J

25. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

My first child was born 1972. Sunday newspaper meant comic reading to the kid,probably before he could walk. This was a ritual with my Pop,sitting in his lap reading Dick Tracy,Dondi & L'il Iodine. While if one lived in Philadelphia,nearly everybody read the Bulletin(and we did Mon.-Sat. For some reason Sunday was the Inquirer,then a musty read helmed by Walter Annenberg who made sure news of an enemy was never dealt with "just the facts" and sometimes omitted from the paper. The funny papers were an important part of sales. The Bulletin had Peanuts. Since my Pop sold newspapers in his store,if working I could read any paper on the rack. When I came to the Lehigh Valley,a smaller version of the newspaper rivalry had The Morning Call publishing Peanuts. So the kid got a dose of Peanuts,especially the color Sunday strips. With Snoopy taking up so much space in the Sundays,I sensed that my kid paid much more attention when Snoopy either voiced an occasion bark or showed thoughts in a silent balloon. In a short time, it was Snoopy that taught my kid to read as much as any other stimulus,which included books,signs and anything that was a word. He was reading some stuff on his own before his second birthday and when he entered kindergarten his reading level was years beyond his age. Today,he surpasses whatever I can read,with an interest in Tolstoy and Proust,while spend too much time with online newspapers(and that includes the funny papers). But it was definitely Snoopy that planted the seed of the written word in my first born.

danasgoodstuff likes this.