Charlie Watts recovering from surgery - Steve Jordan will stand in for the 2021 Rolling Stones tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vudicus, Aug 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Oh damn, get well Charlie! I bet that is a bummer for anyone planning on catching this tour and understandably so, but it sounds like he will be fine and I am just thankful for that

4. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

For once his timing is a little off.

5. mr fish

mr fish Forum Resident

Without Charlie, it's not the Stones.

If it was Mick or Keith, they'd cancel, they wouldn't bring in a sub would they?

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

6. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Too much money at stake for all of them. Including Charlie. Best wishes indeed to him.

7. Jimmy Phelge

Jimmy Phelge Edith Grove Alumnus

When the band members are introduced at a show, Charlie is so popular he always gets the second biggest cheer from the crowd behind Keith in the times I've seen them.

They've always said that if any one of Mick, Keith or Charlie was to leave the band for any reason, there would be no more Rolling Stones.

It's sad that he's been unwell and can't do this tour, but I guess Time Waits For No One. Get well soon, Charlie.

8. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Steve’s the guy I always hoped would get to play with them. He’s written songs with Keith and is a great player. I wish Charlie the best, but would like to hear the band with Steve playing.

mw1917, Sean, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  9. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

And as Charlie himself said, fans have already been annoyed by postponed concerts because of Covid, let's not have more cancelation of shows.

10. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

He's 80 and we are living in a very uncertain world. I would think that if the tour is postponed until he is well, then there is a risk that it might never happen at all. For one of a variety of possible reasons.

Rojo and John DeAngelis like this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Get well Charlie. It really isn't the Stones without him. Really hope Steve is a temporary sub (no matter how good he is) just like the guitar tech playing bass with ZZ Top.

12. Should be postponed regardless. No Charlie no Stones! same for any other member unless perhaps Mick Taylor stood in for Woody for whatever reason. This is not good.

phillyal1 and DTK like this.
  13. This!

DTK likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I went to at least one Brisbane show where the cheer for Charlie's introduction was way louder and longer than it was for Keith or anyone else!

keyXVII, Sean, TimeWarper and 4 others like this.
  15. Double E

Double E Time is piling up, we struggle and we scrape

Totally agree, Charlie is the essence of their sound in some ways. The Stones without Charlie is a bridge too far for me. The 2019 book about Charlie brilliantly captures his talent as a drummer and his massive role in the Stones sound. A must read for any Stones & Rock fan imo. BTW it works great as an audio book.

https://www.amazon.com/Sympathy-Drummer-Charlie-Watts-Matters/dp/1493047736

16. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I’d go if I had a ticket, but it wouldn’t be the same. Really, these shows could be the very last chance to get to see them. I hope Charlie recovers well.

Fred1 likes this.
  17. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I can forgive them for doing the tour without Watts, but it’s not the Stones untill he’s back.

cs2003, Sean, Fred1 and 5 others like this.
  18. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

There's probably no better sub for Charlie than Steve Jordan(and I'm a fan), but still, I'd feel like I'm not getting the real thing.

Dan

Sean, Fred1, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  19. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Which is what Keith used to say :shh:

phillyal1, Sean, Fred1 and 3 others like this.
  20. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Forum Resident

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  21. bobgeorge

bobgeorge Forum Resident

Changing the drummer is easier than the front-man/leadsinger, as well as Keith. I think all 4 are essential, but the drummer is usually more to the back of the stage, on a permanent place.
    Though, it happened with AC/DC, Axl filling in. As said, there’s too much money involved, plus, again postponed?

Another essential aspect, it will sound differently live on stage. I cant imagne that the substitute drummer can copy Charlie’s style., 100%.

Of course, i hope he gets back as soon as possible.

blastfurniss likes this.
  22. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

I think with the backlog of artists wanting to tour due to the pandemic it could be a long time before the venues are free to rearrange a postponed tour.

23. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

They did postpone recording or touring without Ron, right?

The return of "The Rolling Stones Cavalier Edict".

So much for "All for one and one for...". Wait a minute, what about all of the Merchandise contracts? We'll lose a for' une, mate?

Money back, money back...

PIGGIES and DTK like this.
  24. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

My immediate thought is that they should cancel. Having said that, it will be interesting to hear how Steve will sound with them and how it will impact on how the rest of the band play.

When the audience clips of the first show start to be shared online we will be listening perhaps more intensely than we have for their more recent tours.

We know (hope) it's not a permanent thing so I am quite looking forward to hearing how it sounds.

25. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

But Dusty isn't returning to ZZ Top. Elwood is the replacement.

JasonA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.