Cheap CD player sounds good

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lenny99, Nov 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

nope, CD lacks hypersonic information which empirical research shows light up more of the brain's pleasure centres
    try reading OOHASHI,et al 2000 in journal of The American Physiological Society

Lenny99, BrentB, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  2. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Watch out with comments like that around here....Many vinyl plastic heads are gonna implode and the vinyl plasticky icky icky police will be after ya :D :bdance::D

3. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Pretty controversial study. Has anyone ever been able to repeat those results?

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  4. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Many companies put non-functional steel sheets in their equipment to make it heavier. Now, there may be a good reason, like keeping the interconnects from pulling it off a desk, but it does add to the perception of quality. Not necessarily the case, unless you’re talking tube gear, where better transformers will be heavier.

5. Ste_S

Ste_S Forum Resident

I can normally buy a bottle of wine along with the CD for the price of the vinyl record; sometimes even a rather fine Nikka whisky. I know what works my pleasure centres*

*Drink responsibly.

6. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

a new vinyl record costs about the same as a good Habano in the uk

7. Pondoro

Pondoro Well-Known Member

This is what drew me away from my ripped files. A CD and a glass of red. As I said before I like to listen to the songs in the order the artist issued them. I can do that with ripped files but the CD or vinyl seems more organic. Putting a CD into a CD player, rather than into a laptop, also seems more organic. I realize that this is all very subjective. I realize that feeding the output of a CD into a DAC and then into a 1960-ish tube amp is a contradiction.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  8. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Playing music files sitting on a NAS drive through an app on my tablet feels extremely organic to me.....I am not sure if anything else could ever feel as 'organic' to me.

9. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

I'm willing to bet that your speakers also lack ultrasonic information. Very few speakers have anything going on above 20 kHz.

10. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Lenny’s Klipsch speakers go up to 25k. Entry level for ultrasonics. What is interesting about this study is that it admits these ultra sonics are inaudible; they are experienced somehow through the body and not the ears. Headphones don’t provide the same effect even if they go above 20khz. Also the ultra sonics in their own don’t provide the effect they need the lower audible frequencies as a carrier to work. Crazy stuff.

kundryishot likes this.
  11. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Used to have a Sony discman - MEGA BASS... sounded wonderful.

I loved that CD player and it lasted 25 years!!! All things must pass.

soundboy, c-eling and Buisfan like this.
  12. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

There is a time and place for everything. Some value the sense of disconnection physical media playback brings. Leave the phone upstairs and just play albums in an old school way (or even older school via LP).

Pondoro likes this.
  13. VinylMan07

VinylMan07 *Almost* but *not entirely* an Audiophile

Of course they do! I am a believer of the “bits is bits” theory. When it comes to digital sound, as long as your DAC can perceive the difference between a 1 and a 0, there will be no noticeable difference in sound quality between one CD player and another. The only parts that can introduce interference are the analog components of your player, and if you payed a honest amount of money for a good machine, there should be no problems.

brushwg likes this.
  14. shakesomeaction

shakesomeaction ‘s what i need

So much misguided nonsense in this thread.
    If you think a cheap CD player sounds just as good as an expensive one:
    a. You’ve never heard an expensive player
    b. You don’t have a system capable of hearing the difference
    c. You don’t have the ears to tell the difference
    d. All of the above

15. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

It's actually the high-end "audiophile" CD players which are more likely to color the sound and deviate from a true high-fidelity representation of what's on the disc than a cheap (but competent) player, because many of them have an explicitly stated agenda to make CDs "sound more analog".

Carver started doing that back in the '80s with their "Digital Time Lens". It claimed to eliminate the "harsh, brittle wasteland" of digital recordings by altering the frequency response to the "octave-to-octave balance originally intended by the musician" (Really? Did Bob interview all of them?), boosting the stereo difference and adding a slight amount of delay to the soundstage. And DBX had some CD players with "Digital Audio Impact Recovery" which could either expand overly compressed recordings or compress overly dynamic recordings.

MichaelXX2 likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

INDEED!

17. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

You've nicely compiled the usual audiophile excuses together. IMO, that's the "misguided nonsense" which has been promoted for ages without actual testing. And as far as I can tell, anyone who does try controlled listening ends up recognizing that differences are minor (like the difference between 16/44.1 and hi-res audio).

Now, go listen to a few reasonable inexpensive CD players like the Yamaha CD-S303 compared to something >$1000, controlled for volume and no peeking at the face plate on whatever high end system you think will show a difference. Be mindful of exotic players using tubes which may color the sound; some listeners might like this of course.

Have a good look at the Oohashi article, there are some unusual bits in the methodology. Never been replicated as far as I can tell other than reports by the same group. Discussed here.

18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Mmm, not quite convinced by that. Sounds nicely on the fringes of the kind of audio woo woo that peeks its head round the door of our hobby every now and then. I'm sure the conclusions make for interesting reading, but practice demonstrates readily that on the basis of the two lines above, I'm likely giving this topic more regard than it's probably due.

19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Has anybody else called "House" yet???

20. ognirats

ognirats haruhist

Please tell me, what makes digital PCM playback better on an expensive CD player?

BrentB likes this.
  21. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Better analog section, better power supply, better clock, more than likely equals better playback.

shakesomeaction likes this.
  22. shakesomeaction

shakesomeaction ‘s what i need

If you need to ask you probably don’t really want to know.

23. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

A question I have is this: let's say you have a dedicated CD player, would the DAC in dedicated CD player only go to 16 / 44.1 and in a DVD player to 24 / 48? Where would the specs be on a Blu Ray player? Would they only go to 24 / 96 or do they reach higher. I'm talking about bare minimums here.

24. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Not unless it's really old. Oversampling 18-bit DACs were already becoming common by the late '80s, and 1-bit DACs became nearly universal in the early '90s. The solution ended up being to process the audio 1 bit at a time really quickly, rather than do everything in 16-bit (or greater) chunks.

25. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

I had a Carver CD player with a "Digital Time Lens". It was a button. If you pushed it, it sounded a little different. If you pushed it again, it sounded a little the same. I think in some far-flung reach of the Universe, there was a complete upheaval in space-time whenever I pushed the button.
    But I cannot confirm that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.