Cheap old 80's CDs that actually sound terrific

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steven Henry, Jul 9, 2018.

1. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

You can almost always guarantee that that a remaster will have less Dynamic Range than the original.I would say that nearly all remasters are flawed simply by loud compression,even when other parts of the music or mix are improved.I'll take a slight lack of body and fullness in exchange for dynamic range every time.

I do not think that the quality of A to D conversion had a massive effect either.With a fair amount of recordings from the 80's sounding superb .Dire Straits -Brother In Arms was recorded and transferred on early Sony digital equipment and sounds top notch.

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Sorry if someone already mentioned these.

The Harder They Come Soundtrack
    The Astaire Story
    Quincy Jones : The Dude

danielbravo, mozz, RiRiIII and 2 others like this.
  3. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

Rush original Canadian Anthem cds, (ANC, WANK, VANK). I had all of these originally, foolishly traded them all away, then had to spend $$$ to reaquire lol!!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Dave, basie-fan and Duke Fame like this.
  4. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I've NEVER seen one in the Philadelphia area bins.

5. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

Probably because they were manufactured for sale in Canada only. They are now even quite rare here in Canada, but in the late 1980's they were very plentiful & relatively cheap. The mastering on these cds is superb, but I have never been able to find out who exactly mastered these early Canadian Rush cds, whoever it was did a fantastic job. Hemispheres on Anthem to me is the definitive mastering & is slightly better than the AF sacd. I doubt that the new Hemispheres blu ray will beat the Anthem. Grace Under Pressure is another Anthem gem, although I do like the 35 8P Japan as well.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Dave likes this.
  6. sonnyrock

sonnyrock Forum Resident

The West German Atomic of ABC's Beauty Stab.

Basenote66 likes this.
  7. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Just delivered: H.P. Lovecraft Live May 11.1968 Sundazed 1991 STILL IN SHRINKWRAP!

8. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I like your list and would add Dire Straits to it

Carlox, Dave and George P like this.
  9. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Checking in on this Thread was worth it for that Tango in the Night suggestion alone. I have the LP but never play it for some reason. Picked up the generic WB cd for $4 today and was blown away by the quality of this recording. Mystified, title track, Big Love, Little Lies, to name a few, really shine. Punchy drums, synth and other instruments sound great and Stevie’s voice is hypnotic!

10. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Which one? The bottom one is known as a pre-target. Hard to tell from my crappy pic but notice how there is a space top and bottom for the target design to go. That particular matrix starts with WNR which (according to @princesskiki) is the first release of this CD. Both by Sanyo Japan. I think I did a side by side and couldn't tell any difference, as I believe it is same mastering, both sound great!

[​IMG]

Dbstay, bataclan2002, Mbe and 4 others like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

This is mine.

[​IMG]

I bought this in 1985. There’s no barcode on the artwork. Sounds great, but I’ve no idea if this Target is the ‘best’ or not.

12. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I just like to post pictures of targets because they are so purty. However, in this case, according to the thread “Targets with a unique mastering” your WG Mirage is a different mastering, and may indeed have the “best” sound, than the others (@c-eling can probably verify) because I think the Japan and US versions have the same mastering.

Lewisboogie, c-eling and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The user you referenced reversed it; The Japan Target in the top pic was issued before the non-target in the bottom, but yes the only difference is the silk screening and collector demand :)

Dan Steele likes this.
  14. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Thanks Ricks! As a general rule do you think the “pre-targets” are more scarce than the targets?

15. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Does the WG Vertigo 1985 have a disc matrix number that ends with a sequence number higher than 7? Higher is the B.Ludwig master that is more sort after.

16. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

This thread is just a fountain of information. Despite having 5 versions of BIA, I have never heard about that for the WG Brothers in Arms. My matrix is 824 499-2 07#, and the note I have on it is that there is a static spike on track 4, Your Latest Trick, iirc about 4 min into the song. Off topic for the thread but my go to version is the 20th anniversary dual disc because of the 5.1 surround mix. Ride Across the River - Wow!

17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I have the WG version you mention. Bought it in June 1985 just after the album came out. There were about 30 CDs on sale here then.:D It’s often regarded the best sounding edition, though I think I prefer the MOFI SACD. Perhaps because it was a lot more expensive and I feel like I should.:)

James Shines and Dan Steele like this.
  18. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

I never owned these. I bought the cube box set when it came out. But I have a vivid memory of an occasion before that when I visited a friend in LA and went to his house where he wanted to show off his stereo system. So, thinking the best way to dazzle me was to put on Over The Hills And Far Away from the original Houses Of The Holy CD and crank it up, I must say, I was underwhelmed. I guess I was supposed to be blown away with the dynamic range of that recording. But I wasn't. Now, in all fairness, I have not compared it to the George Marino copy that I own, and I know that many here on the forum swear by the original over this version. I am just giving my first impression reaction as I recall it. Of course the vinyl is actually the first version I heard/owned. So the real first impression comes from that, and naturally the impact of the song has diminished after repeated listens over the years. So, it is a little hard to separate all the factors in such a subjective area.

I will say that lately (and I don't know how much my failing old ears have contributed to this) I can almost not set the volume low enough on my old Sansui 9090 receiver with some new remastered CDs (e.g. Beatles Pepper and White album reissues), they are such ear-bleeders. Ridiculous.

19. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Mine ends on 11 - should be the Ludwig mastering, no? It sounds terrific, I can understand why it's sought after :righton:

edit: it's 824 499-2 11

20. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Yes..You have the Ludwig mastering.:righton:

Dan Steele and LeBon Bush like this.
  21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Yes they do. (The Sanyo's carry this mastering) My US SRC-01 matches it. I believe later US manufactures use a different one. I love the sound on this (you have to crank it :laugh:) so I never went further :)

Dan Steele likes this.
  22. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Off I go to the bins, another version to search for!
    LeBon, does your version also have that glitch about 4 min into track 4?

23. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

:agree:

And you should definitely hunt this baby down, it's fantastic!

24. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

Agreed. But. There are two 80s masterings. You need the Mango CCD 9202:

85.4 / 76.5 / 99.9 / 88.2 / 97.9 / 92.9 / 88.1 / 67.9 / 97.7 / 87.3 / 82.7 / 100

This one has the correct mastering of Shanty Town. The other 80s Island CD:

90.1 / 80.8 / 95.1 / 83.3 / 88.9 / 83.2 / 83.6 / 61.0 / 87.5 / 98.6 / 73.3 / 99.4

That one has the phasing issues on Shanty Town. Not good.

bluesfan and Jack_Straw like this.
  25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The disc in your bottom picture is a post-target.

My experience is I see more of the post-targets in the wild than targets. Couple that with low or no Collector demand for a non-target...Although nowadays Target demand is not very great either. I'm speaking on the whole not referring to any particular title.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Dan Steele likes this.