Cheap record player advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ChrisChopping, Jan 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisChopping

ChrisChopping Forum Resident Thread Starter

Honestly a cheap, lightweight feel is the least of my worries.

2. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

I played around with a friends AT-LP2x recently through an old Rotel amp I was pretty impressed tbh it's decent for that price point.

3. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Pioneer PL-990. Bought one this week for $60 and it sounds great.

vwestlife likes this.
  4. Crab33

Crab33 Forum Resident

They have a fully adjustable arm and the cartridge isn't fixed - you can upgrade the cartridge at a later date, if you like. The built-in phono pre-amp of the AT-LP3 even has an MC option - not that you are likely to want to fit an MC cartridge to such a budget turntable (the cartridge would end up costing more than the turntable).

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

None. Don't do it. Stick to digital or get a real stereo. Not trying to be snide, those are just the best options from easiest, least expensive to "what needs to be done to make it work properly".
    -Bill

6. ChrisChopping

Elsewhere I have been recommended to go with a Rega turntable. Anyone used one of these?

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Never heard of them. ;)
    -Bill

timind and BKphoto like this.
  8. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Sony seems to have discontinued their turntables at just the wrong time. My next choice would have to be the Yamaha for just under $500.

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’d ask yourself why you are getting into vinyl? You say you want to play all your records…but you could do that with a streaming service.

You will get a better sound quality over vinyl at your budget point. However, if really set on vinyl then I would look at Rega RP1 or Project Debut Carbon as a minimum.

10. ChrisChopping

ok, full story?
    The sad thing is I had my grandad’s old stereo system that was both expensive and good quality but my ex made me sell it and I couldn’t even get decent money for it. [​IMG] I also had some old records that used to belong to my parents, some Beatles, Stones etc and a few other records I’d picked up but now no means to play them. That old stereo sounded really great but apart from that I’d enjoyed the ritual of putting on a record, listening to them as sides as intended. It was just fun and relaxing.

Knowing all this, My wife tried to buy me a record player as a surprise last year but it kept skipping so we junked it.

So this year she got what she thought was a better one (and I started buying myself a few nice new records to play on it)but it’s still faulty. We are returning it but I don’t want to just get the same model again. Sadly I don’t think I can really afford one based on the advice I’m getting.

The trouble is, vinyl’s renewed popularity means there is money to be made and too many unscrupulous companies willing to manufacture or sell record players that aren’t really fit for purpose. The one my wife bought was far from the cheapest one on the market…

I’d much rather be priced out of vinyl altogether and stick with streaming than be sold something affordable that doesn’t work. Unfortunately I’m only learning this now and I already own a bunch of records it would have been nice to play.

richbdd01 likes this.
  11. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Best Buy has a new Insignia turntable for $129 that seems to be a winner -- adjustable counterweight and anti-skating, upgradeable phono cartridge, and even an optical speed sensor to make sure it's playing at the correct speed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.