Cheap WalMart DVDs

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -=Rudy=-, Jan 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

I just scored 10 DVDs from WalMart this afternoon...$5.50 each. Not sure if it's just a local phenomenon, but there were some halfway decent titles in there. Considering. ;) Here's what I picked up:

Return of the Pink Panther
    Grumpier Old Men
    two collections of Powerpuff Girls TV episodes
    King & I (kids' animated version...the girls will like it)
    High Noon
    Lovesick
    The Sea Wolves
    The First Deadly Sin (Sinatra movie)
    Batman: The Movie (based on the TV series...?)

Some decent viewing even if a few might be full screen.

2. Boje

Boje New Member

Great score! I'll have to check out the local Walmart. Thanks.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I buy the AMC Classics PD DVD sets from Wal-Mart and have bought the Gary Cooper set for my uncle and Cult Horror AMC sets for me. The quality of many of the sources is poor and rivals GoodTimes but for $5.50 you can't lose.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I've found many bargains in that bin...Only problem, It's a job digging thru the "bin" they throw them in! Geez, there must be a better way:rolleyes:
    Always walked away happy! Picked up "Trading Places", "Slam Dunk Ernest"( Love Jim, Rest His Soul:() "Pretty Baby" for $5.88...plus tons of other neat stuff:thumbsup:

5. -=Rudy=-

Surprised there were a couple of well-known movies in there when I looked. Some, obviously, were duds. And that was the only pet peeve about the whole thing--like Michael said, they were thrown into a big wire bin and I had to dig through them. I guess it's worth it for $5.50. :)

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I call that bin "The Steven Seagal/Jean-Claude Van Damme Hole Of Shame." There are a couple goodies in it, once you shovel aside all the copies of SURVIVING THE GAME and GLITTER.

BEST OF TIMES - Comedy starring Robin Williams and Kurt Russell as football has-beens that has a lot more emotional resonance than you might expect.

DEATHTRAP - Very amusing who-done-it/who'll-do-it, with lots of plot twists. Christopher Reeve, Michael Caine, and Dyan Cannon star in a scary/funny film that rarely leaves a single room.

DROP DEAD GORGEOUS - Amusing mock-documentary of a Minnesota beauty pageant with Kirstie Alley and Ellen Barkin as the mothers from Hell, and Denise Richards and Kirsten Dunst for all you dirty old men.

7. -=Rudy=-

I should try another store for more titles. I'm about halfway between two of them. The two Powerpuff Girls DVDs are over two hours long and the girls liked 'em this morning. With my current schedule, it'll probably take me until next winter to finish the rest! :laugh:

8. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Believe it or not, I picked up 'High School USA', and I almost don't know why. Nostalgia, I guess.

It's a made for TV flick including:

Michael J. Fox .... Jay-Jay Manners (as Michael Fox)
    Nancy McKeon .... Beth Franklin
    Todd Bridges .... Otto Lipton
    Angela Cartwright .... Miss D'Angelo
    Bob Denver .... Milton Feld
    Dwayne Hickman .... Mr. Plaza
    Lauri Hendler .... Nadine
    Dana Plato .... Cara Ames
    Crystal Bernard .... Anne-Marie Conklin
    Anthony Edwards .... Beau Middleton
    Frank Bank .... Mr. Gerardi
    Elinor Donahue .... Mrs. Franklin
    Tony Dow .... Principal Pete Kinney
    Steve Franken .... Dr. Fritz Hauptmann
    David Nelson .... Mr. Krinsky, janitor
    Ken Osmond .... Baxter Franklin
    Dawn Wells .... Miss Lorilee Lee
    Jon Caliri .... Jerry
    David Packer .... Danny
    Crispin Glover .... Archie Feld

9. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

That's the way they get ya.

They throw them in the pile so you have to dig through them. When you find something that you might like, you feel like you have "discovered" something special.

It is all psychological.

In my opinion Wal Mart's motto should be:

"Destroying America, one town at a time"

Positively Pessimistic,
    Tony

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Last week I found in that wire bin:

Casualties Of War (DePalma)
    Fortress (with Christopher Lambert of "Highlander" fame)

both good movies.

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I most recently bought "The Buddy Holly Story" from that bin.

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

One little surprise gem that I found in the $5.50 bin at Wal Mart was the Brooke Shields movie PRETTY BABY. This movie was widescreen, dolby digital, and the transfer was pristine. I thought it very odd to see this movie at Wal Mart (considering their "prudish" morals), but it is actually quite an enjoyable movie. If you check that little bin regularly, you never know what you will find.

13. -=Rudy=-

I don't even go into a Walmart more than a couple times a year. I went mainly to get the Powerpuff Girls TV episodes for my girls, which were selling for $10 or more elsewhere. I may check at another Walmart or two just to see if they have more of the titles available, but I won't go out of my way to make it a regular stop.

14. Michael

Careful, You may find yourself buying DVD's you really don't want or need...That $5.50 is inviting and addicting:laugh:

Found a bunch of "Lassie" TV Show DVD's...and others...I stopped going for a while after I sat back and looked at all "Junk" I bought:rolleyes::)

15. Michael

Sure wish Walmart would get into the Gasoline business! I could use a bargain about now...Prices have gone up 19 cents in the past few weeks! Disgusting:)

16. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

They really do sell gasoline. At least here in Arkansas. The trick is, you can't pay cash for it. You have to go INSIDE THE MAIN STORE to buy a "gas card" or voucher of some kind.

That way they get you into the store so you will buy a couple of $5.50 dvds and some pork rinds. Oh, and while your at the register, pick up a couple of packages of DURACELL batteries. Of course they are already dead in the package (or just barely over the rated voltage) so they will have to be thrown in the trash when you get home. If you are really lucky, maybe they will leak battery acid, or bird **** (which I think they put inside them) all over your $5.50 dvds and ruin them. Holy crap, don't forget to pick up two pair of velcro shoes while your here... No reason to fool with those pesky shoe strings...

what a bargain!

"Destroying America, one town at a time"

17. Michael

How much per gallon?

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Careful guys, I work at Wal Mart, (read my profile).

19. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Well, they do sell great beef jerky! :D ;)

20. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I happen to LOVE Wal Mart. One opened in my small town 7 years ago, and it was the best thing that happened here. I don't think it put any businesses out of business, either.

The deals one can find there are amazing! The $5.50 DVD's are great, and if you go at the end of the season, you can find amazing deals. I got a rototiller for our garden there (brand new - a Snapper) for $5! The big 15,000 SF bags of fertilizer were $1 a bag - regular $25-$30. You have to know when to go. Right now the toy department is chock full of toys on clearance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.