Cheap Xmas: Donald Fagen Complete - Vinylbox coming in December

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by solstice69, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Eley

Mike Eley New Member

I just bought the vinyl set on moviemars.com for $90.15 shipped.
    Really looking forward to hearing this fine vinyl collection and looking forward to seeing Donald in Denver in June!
    Wooohooooo!!!

Musician95616 likes this.
  2. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Down to CAD 103.16 (about USD 85) at amazon.ca! Finally pulled the trigger!

I just wish I hadn't recently bought the standalone Nightfly, assuming that the price of this set wasn't going back down so soon. But I love all of these albums, so I figure it can't hurt to have backup copies. (I'm clumsy.) Or I'll sell the extras.

3. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Nice deal! I was about to order from discogs for 130 CAD without shipping until I saw your post. Price is now 101 cad on amazon, and I had a left over gift card from christmas. So picked up the whole box for a cool 68 dollars..... Feel like I made a great choice.

ThomasL, Fractured and Musician95616 like this.
  4. ThomasL

ThomasL Forum Resident

"Bass heavy"is an understatement! I finally bought the box and I'm listening to Morph this moment. Pretty wild!

Kamaaina1 and Ken.e. like this.
  5. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

As big a Steely Dan/Fagen geek as I am, I totally forgot about this set until today. I took advantage of Ebay's "15% off everything" sale and pulled the trigger on one. So far, the reviews for it have been good, and I can't wait to get these on my turntable.

Ken.e. likes this.
  6. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

7. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

You said that like it was a bad thing...:whistle:

Hymie the Robot and stem like this.
  8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Just got my box. Two lps in...

I thought Nightfly was very nice. Smooth. A bit less louder than my 82 US original.
    But Kamakiriad is really quiet, as in mastered with the volume way down...my amp needle is nowhere near mid-levels...kinda buried in the wrong direction. I’ve got to turn it up to 9:30-10 o’clock to get half decent volume. Unlike the original cd that I have.

It may very well be a conscious and important choice in mastering, to avoid the high end sharpness that the cd sometimes exhibits.

Anyone else have this going on?

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Cutting at lower volume would have nothing to do with "high-end sharpness".

Why does it matter how "loud" it was cut? Is the vinyl surface noise intruding? Otherwise, it's better too quiet than too loud, no? With the number of complaints by vinyl newbies these days of "sibilance", "distortion" and "skipping", is it any wonder cutting engineers back off a bit?

And besides, the Fagen stuff is quite dynamic, so better to cut with dynamics intact than compress the dynamics in order to make it "louder".

10. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Has there ever been word as to whether these would be re-released individually?
    Kamakiriad is all I need and I don't want to buy the box just for that....

bluejimbop and gss like this.
  11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The bottom end isn’t really there like it should be. I do think that toning down the high end during mastering would result in what I’m hearing.

Of course, better this than the opposite.

You don’t have this box, do you?

12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’ve now finished listening. Aside from the disappointment of having a warp in every lp...yes, every one, though all are playable because my cartridge tracks really well it appears...I am, unfortunately, completely underwhelmed.

The Nightfly...not as good as my Canadian original. Sonics actually vary from track to track upon close listening. It’s smooth enough, but not terrific.

Kamakiriad...terribly low recording level. I mean, really low. Strikingly, shockingly low. The original cd is so superior it’s scary...and I never compliment CDs...ever!

Morph the Cat...sure it’s got thump, like the cd...but no better sonics.

Sunken Condos...same, but the bass isn’t crisp...it’s wooly.

B- Sides...nice to have.

I’m a huge fan of this music. I was really looking forward to these lps. But I must say that if you’re looking for improvements, and you’ve got the CDs, you may want to take a pass. It’s rare when I A/B an lp and CD of a particular album that the CD wins out. But the CDs do here.

Well, there you go...digitally recorded albums sounding better in their digital form!
    Who da thunk it, right? Sheesh...

gss likes this.
  13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Nope. Morph and Condos are the doubles, and Condos is the only 3 sided one.

14. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

That's right, Ken gave the correction to the side slits back in post #28.

Chemguy likes this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ok, if you say so, but none of this has to do with the volume at which vinyl is cut. You were conflating fidelity with amplitude.

No, I don't have the box. I have the individual albums on vinyl and/or hi-rez (except Sunken Condos with does nothing for me), so I don't see the value. But if you don't hear a difference between the vinyl version and the CD version of Morph, I don't know what to tell you.

16. gss

gss Forum Resident

Sorry to hear the news about the Kamikiriad pressing. Can any other owners weigh in? Anyone compare the new one with the original release?

Glad the digital versions are already quite good.

bluejimbop likes this.
  17. Confide In Me is one of the best tunes in his solo catalogue. Essential.

Chemguy and dharmabumstead like this.
  18. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

I have a cd of kamikiriad bought when it came out.....pretty fab recording which makes it easier to accept that the vinyl might not be stellar.
    I have the regular old Strawberrys record store copy of the nightfly, a RL pressing on vinyl, and the Mfsl One-Step set. The aRL copy is so friggin' good on my set up that I havent opened the One-Step yet....I dont see how it can wow me over the RL. I will open it, clean it, and play it eventually to celebrate a special occasion...:)

Maybe one of these days Kamikiriad will be redone correctly. In my dreams, the owners of Music Matters decide to start reissuing more adult oriented rock/Jazz/blues albums at their quality leveland we get some re-issues on SRX vinyl.

Chemguy and gss like this.
  19. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Nice of Donald to pose for that picture in the waiting room of his dentist's office.

20. gss

gss Forum Resident

Well, I sure do hope you post your impressions when that day comes!

21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

just how limited was the vinyl set? been trying to hunt down a reasonably priced copy from a reputable source for a while now, and almost everyone is OOS.

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

GentleSenator likes this.
  23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I finally ordered one with the MD discount.

I only have The Nightfly, so very much looking forward to these.

Neonbeam likes this.
  24. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

I’ve got an original press of Kamakiriad and it’s a stellar bit of vinyl. A regular go-to LP when I’m trying out a new bit of kit. No low-level issues at all. Shame they seem to have backed it off a little too much on the new pressing. I rate this album over Nightfly, if I’m honest.

Fractured and Echoes Myron like this.
  25. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

This statement blows my mind every time I hear it... Kamakiriad is fantastic, but the Nightfly is in my top 5 of all time.

Echoes Myron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.