Cheaper, sub $400 amplifier used or new

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PinkIsTheSky, Mar 18, 2023.

1. PinkIsTheSky

PinkIsTheSky Old Blues Man Thread Starter

Hello again,

Lots of gear for others while my speakers are out of order!

Looking for a decent budget integrated amp for my father. He still has a bunch of basic recievers from the 90s which are pretty lackluster.

I've seen a few Marantz PM5005s used on ebay for under $300, this seems like a pretty good deal, but I am unsure about the longevity of these and would like some opinions.

He is going to want to combine a sub with it, so either a sub out or a second channel for a high level input is required. Phono, CD, Tuner input is also a must.

Interested to hear some opinions! And please try to remain in budget, he doesn't really want to spend too much.

Thanks!

2. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

Go for it, i have a pm6004 (eBay £137) which I hear is very similar to the 5005, it is very fast and articulate. No sub op thou.
    I don't see any reason it wouldn't last.

3. noway

noway Forum Resident

4. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I'd go for the Marantz. These sound could and tend not to break. And they're a bargain.

AL01 likes this.
  5. AL01

AL01 Eh?

If the seller doesn't have too much knowledge about the unit, you may want to buy Squaretrade.

I saved about $450 going that route for my current integrated amplifier, (not sponsored or anything, yadayada.)

6. John3655

John3655 Infinite input

Another way of looking at it, if you buy inexpensively you can sell again for the same price it's almost free.

7. somnar

somnar Senior Member

LOL, they sound GOOD (not "could" - I'm clearly losing my mind).

8. jeffrey75

jeffrey75 Forum Resident

Yamaha with an analog power supply would be one way to go if the speakers are not to power hungry.