Check out Steve H.'s new WAVAC amps!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Oteri, Mar 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

2. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

Got a spare $47,000?

3. Angel

Angel New Member

Wow. That's a lot of money. Not per channel? ;)

I bet they sound fantastic though. 100 watts of SINGLE ENDED power? No phase splitter? Direct coupled? I bet those amps can light up a dark room!

Never saw a tube like THAT before! An RCA 833 tube. Made for Broadcast transmitters and now---Steve's stereo! :D

Well, if they help his do his work, they've gone to the right place!

4. Paul L.

Paul L. New Member

$47,000 a pair, list price. I don't have any idea what kind of discounts are available, but it'd have to be about a 95% discount to be in the realm of possibility for most people : )

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Well, I've got a pair of Laurel IIx Ultimate Upgrade monoblocks from Ron Welborne running KR Enterprise 300B output valves and these put out 8 watts. They cost close to $3000. The WAVACs put out 12 times the power and cost about 12 times as much. Seems OK to me. :rolleyes:

Of course, power should not be compared using a linear scale as I just did, so the above is stupid.

I have coveted the WAVAC EC-300B for some time. Here it is:

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Metralla

6. AudioGirl

AudioGirl Forum Resident

WOW... They look "WA" impressive! :p

I hope they sound as good as they look... Especially for that kind of cash!

My speakers will NEVER have the pleasure of pumping WAVAC watts. :(

Enjoy Steve!!

7. Angel

Angel New Member

Yes that Wavac stuff is really beautiful, and I'm sure you get what you pay for. Of course it isn't cheap, but I bet the sound is like liquid music. At least that's what the reviewers say.

The Japanese rediscovered single ended triodes (mainly the USA Western Electric circuits) all on their own a while back, and we owe them bigtime. When you consider that the "single ended" design predates even the "Push/Pull" designs of the middle 1930's, it's a humbling thought.

1920's electronic technology, (with just ONE output tube doing all the pushing and the pulling), still sounding amazing in the year 2002. Wow.

8. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

World's dumbest question ever asked here:

What does "Single Ended" mean?

:confused:

9. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

Single ended: a circuit topology in which an output device or parallel output devices (tubes or transistors) operate by regulating the flow of current in a single loop within the circuit. (Think of one person sawing a log with only a "pull" stroke, with a spring pulling the saw back into position after each stroke.)

A Single Ended amplifier is always biased in Class A (which means there is always current flowing through the output devices.)

The counterpart to Single Ended is Push-Pull which contains two output devices regulating the current flow in two complimentary loops - one side "pushes" while the other side "pulls." (Think of a two-man lumberjack's saw, one guy pulls, then the other guy pulls.) This circuit requires a phase inversion circuit because the two sets need to be fed signals which are the inverse of each other. (The "push" devices will see a negative-going signal at the same time the "pull" devices see a positive-going signal.)

A push-pull amplifier can be biased in Class A, Class AB, Class B etc. Class AB means the current flows for more than half the negative-zero-positive-zero-negative input cycle, but not the whole cycle. Class B means the current flows for approximately half the input cycle.

Typically audiophile Single Ended amplifiers use triodes (SET= Single Ended Triode) - particularly Directly Heated Triodes (or DHT's) and have little or no loop feedback. A "purist" (some might say "primitive") approach.

As a general rule push-pull operation largely cancels second harmonic distortion and reduces even harmonics above the second. As a general rule single ended operation yields the most distortion at the second harmonic and each successive distortion product is smaller and smaller in proportion to the signal.

-j

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Very good Mr. Epstein!

John. No such thing as a dumb question. I did not know myself until 1994.

Very quickly then. In the 1920's, the best application for Lee DeForest's vacuum tube was sound amplification. It made possible such things as "electric" recordings (using microphones instead of acoustic horns), radio broadcasting and sound motion pictures.

All of the above gear was designed in a rather primitive way, using basic triode valves to amplifiy the sound in a "single ended" manner. In other words, ONE output tube did all the amplifying, giving the user just a few usable watts.

Now, jump to the early 1930's. One tube didn't put out enough watts for many applications like electric disc cutting, theater amplification, etc. So the designers went to work developing new tube types--Pentodes, etc. And a new way to amplify, using TWO output tubes for double the power, in a Push-Pull configuration. In other words, by "splitting" the sound up between two matched tubes (using a "phase splitter") and putting the sound back together again on the way out of the amp. This push-pull circuit became the standard for home radios, record players and most everything else, from the early 1930's to the late 1960's! When you see "matched pairs" of output tubes for sale at the vintage tube stores, you know why now! It means that the push-pull circuit (then and now) needs matched tubes (or tubes that have basically the same output, sound, etc.) for this crucial push-pull thing to work.

Now, jump back to the middle 1930's. A "high power" triode was developed by Western Electric called the 300B. It had a whopping 10 watts and was (and is) an amazing tube, being used then for theatre amplification and other industrial uses. It was also the tube that was sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean in the Bell System long distance amplifiers. So you KNOW it had to be a long lasting high quality tube, right?

Now, jump ahead to the early 1970's. Tube equipment is dead in the United States. Solid State had taken over, right? Well, the Japanese were the first to notice that the new solid state stuff didn't sound that hot. They discovered that the old obsolete tube gear from the 1950's with names like McIntosh and Marantz sounded better. Then they discovered that the older Western Electric gear sounded the BEST to them!

Why is that? Well, first of all, even the push-pull tube design wasn't perfect. You had to split apart the sound signal and rejoin it at the other end. This type of thing you could hear on playback. Hi-Fi lovers always ignored problems with tube playback because it was the only way to get more than 10 watts out of an amplifier, and by the late 1950's, speakers needed more and more power to work.

So, when the Japanese discovered Single Ended tube sound, full of yummy musical second harmonic distortion (like real life), they flipped. The sound was pure and sweet and lifelike, not having to be broken apart and reglued as in push-pull amps.
    The tradeoff? Very low power, so old-fashioned speakers needed to be used. You know: Tannoy's, etc.; speakers with 95 db per watt capabilities...

So, gradually, the Japanese bought every single old WE amplifier from old movie theaters across the USA and imported them. They rejoiced when American theatres rewired for Dolby Stereo in 1977 after "Star Wars" hit. Goody, more old Western Electric gear for us, they said! And Amercian theatres were happy to get rid of it, charging only 5 or 10 dollars for the stuff. Now, of course, it's worth a fortune. An entire "cult" was built up around the Western Electric gear and the WE 300B tube that was used in it.

Eventually, there was no more Western Electric junk to be found in old movie theatre dumpsters, so the Japanese designers began to design their OWN single ended amplifiers, and an industry was born. Soon, American companies like Cary Audio began designing THEIR own single ended amps.

Now, back to Japan. The dream and invention of the late legendary tube designer Nobu Shishdo, the IITC circuit, made it possible for him and his company WAVAC to harness the power of a GIGANTIC triode for a Class A audio application. The flagship WAVAC amplifiers were born.

The WAVAC HE-833 monoblock amplifiers that I will be adding to my mastering stable can put out 100 watts of single-ended Class A power, thereby being able to drive my big ol' speakers with ease!

How did Nobu Shishdo do it? He used a triode-wired KT-88 driver stage which couples to the RCA 833A tube through a low impedance transformer, providing the ideal drive conditions to actualize the full sonic potential of the transmitting triode. His direct-coupled, capacitor-free circuit preserves low-level resolution that makes single-ended triode amplifiers so amazing.

11. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Single ended means there is only one amplification element, in this case a triode vacuum tube, as opposed to two working in tandem (push-pull), in a amplifier stage. In a push-pull tube amp stage, one tube drives the positve direction and the other the negative, which means a larger operation range but its cross-over distortion causes lesser linearity than the single ended configuration. Most single ended triode (SET) amp has less power, but not this monster. Just look at the output tube! [​IMG]

One caveat for SET amps: due to the asymmetrical design, the output signal of the output stage has a non-zero DC bias, which can permanently magnetize the coils/cores in the output transformer.

12. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

Thanks for the history and technical lesson. We are fortunate that you enjoy sharing your knowledge and teaching! On peaks, will your new amplifier dim your room lights?

Bob

13. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Steve,

Are you selling this amp? I'll give $75 for it w/tubes included...

Todd

14. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Trades...anyone?

I'll tell ya, I'm a bit cautious on buying any piece of equipment until it gets a “thumbs up” from Tom first. :)

I might take to chance and trade in my Technics receiver towards this one....it's a tough decision :confused:

15. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

vinylrec,

Just make sure they give you some store credit on the price difference. Remember, that Technics is solid state and should bring you a good dollar compared to those old tube things...

Todd

16. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

One quibble with Steve's description: Two amplifier stages can either be direct coupled or transformer-coupled, but not both. The WAVAC is transformer-coupled, and Steve is correct in stating that there is no series coupling cap in the audio circuit.

Direct coupling involves matching the DC levels from one stage to the next so that neither a transformer nor a capacitor is needed for DC isolation between the stages. This is not how the WAVAC works, I'm pretty sure.

With the IITC Shishido design I think the transformer is used for more than simply blocking the DC offset, which it does as a bonus. It steps down the drive signal so the driver stage has an extremely low source impedance to the 833's grid, and so the 833 can be run in class A2 (grid current) mode which is what a transmitting triode like the 833 is designed for.

IITC= Inverted Interstage Transformer Connection, and I think the "Inverted" refers to both the step down and also the way the transformer is connected so as to perform a cancellation of the DC flux in its core for wider bandwidth. I could look it up, I think, because I seem to remember that there was an article on it in Sound Practices.

Steve will not need a space heater for his listening room next winter. These are serious beasts, something like an amp of filament current and >1000V power supply voltage. The glass is to keep your fingers out of the Danger Zone!

;)

-j

17. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

PS: Now you gotta hook this thing up to your cutterhead, Steve!

As a bonus you'll preheat the vinyl . . . .

-j

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hook it up to a cutterhead? I can't even lift the damn things.

They really sound amazing, like holographic or something, and I've heard a lot of SET amps starting with my old Cary 805's and SET-300's. This sound is awesome, with plenty of dynamic drive.

19. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

What are you using for speakers with them? I suppose they'd drive Quad ESLs no sweat?

20. Jim Ricketts

Jim Ricketts Active Member

Nice discussion on SET amps and the WAVAC Audio SET HE-833 in particular. Thanks to Steve for the enlightening discussion and well written - I certainly enjoyed reading it.

There were a couple of points I wanted to comment. First, the WAVAC HE-833 is a pure Class-A SET amplifier using zero feedback. Yes, that big 'ol 833 tube can shine a bit of light, but the amp actually runs cooler than most OTL amps with a gazillion tubes. An owner of Sound Lab U1 esl speakers replaced his OTL's with the HE-833 and can now enjoy muisc in the summer. Fortunately, they do not run hot enough to melt vinyl...only your music-lovin' heart.

Specifically, the WAVAC HE-833 (and all Wavac SET amps) has the input (WE437A) direct coupled to the driver (triode-wired KT-88) with the output tube is driven by the Wavac-Tango IT. All Wavacs have eliminated all coupling capacitors from the signal path.

I cannot comment on other SET designs, but Paul's comment that all SET's can permanently magnitize the coils in the output transformer is puzzling. The Wavac circuit specifically cancels any DC magnetization. The Wavacs are quite unique in design and implementation and we are indeed honored M.G. has added this to his stable of other fine products including his WAVAC MD-300B.

Finally, I want to say what a wonderful forum this is - filled with lots 'o music information and even a few hardware discussions from time to time.

21. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

So - to clarify my clarification above - Steve's WAVAC amp has three stages, and the first two are direct-coupled, the second two are transformer-coupled. Hope I didn't confuse anybody other than myself!

-j

22. Paul Chang

In defense of Master Hoffman, he was right in stating direct-coupled circuitry was used. But you were right about IITC too. How could it be? There are three stages in HE-833 - the input stage, the driver stage and the output stage. I think the input and driver stages are direct-coupled and IITC is used between the driver and output stage.

I have never owned any SET amps. My questions for those who have:
    Can you hear the effect of output transformers getting permanently magnetized? How does it sound like (humming)? Did you ever replace the output transformers?

I don't know if Shishido's IITC is immuned from permanent magnitization.

23. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

Paul, what's the source of your information about the permanent magnetization? I don't think that is true.

As I understand it, the AC signal through the core will degauss it as the music plays.

As far as I know, that's a non-issue.

Certainly I have never noiticed ill effects from it in my own SET amps.

-j

24. Paul Chang

Forgot my source. It could be an interview of a tube amp designer (Audio Research's William Johnson?) in some audio mag. But I still remember how to make a temporary magnet out of an iron rod with a coil and a battery. I wonder what's gonna happen with the coil and the rod if the power stays on for a long time. :)

You are right about the AC current degaussing the cores in the transformers. The thing is that the output of an SET stage is not a PURE AC signal. There is a DC component in it so the average of the music signal won't be zero.

25. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

I'm drawing on some dimly-understood stuff here, so I apologize if my explanation is off.

As I understand it, the magnetic field's polarity depends on the rate of change of the signal, dv/dt, so while it is entirely correct that the AC + DC does not net out to be zero, the flux is constantly alternating through the core and this is the factor that would determine whether the core material would take a permanent magnetic "set." This is how I understand it, I may not have it right. Empirically, the "common wisdom" (if there is such a thing amongst SET-freaks?) is that output transformers break in and sound better and better OVER A PERIOD OF YEARS, not worse and worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.